The waiting is the hardest part

storiaitaliana

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had one of my schools actually tell me to contact them after such and such a date to make sure they have everything they need. I e-mailed them and the other school, and got back confirmation. You could e-mail the graduate program secretaries and tell them you're just checking in to make sure they have everything they need.

Well, I had one of my schools actually tell me to contact them after such and such a date to make sure they have everything they need. I e-mailed them and the other school, and got back confirmation. You could e-mail the graduate program secretaries and tell them you're just checking in to make sure they have everything they need.

Bleah, I did the same. No reply, though.

Well I'm teaching in a public school right now, and our winter semester begins tomorrow. So for the first time in my teaching career, I'm really glad to have so much work to occupy my mind!

I'm feeling a little crazy over whether materials have been received because one of my schools has a deadline tomorrow, but their website still says I'm missing my transcripts. It also says "please wait 3 weeks for updates before calling about application materials," so it's quite possible they received them around winter break and haven't actually filed them yet...I hope that's the case, rather than their being lost in the mail, but I'm definitely nervous about that.

Not a teacher here, but work does take your mind off it!

When I applied, I was notified if schools were missing some information. That should ease some of your worries. Anyway, I can't believe y'all have so much time on your hands to stress out over nothing.

By the way, if you're looking for a good challenge, try this: hundredpushups.com

I'm feeling a little crazy over whether materials have been received because one of my schools has a deadline tomorrow, but their website still says I'm missing my transcripts. It also says "please wait 3 weeks for updates before calling about application materials," so it's quite possible they received them around winter break and haven't actually filed them yet...I hope that's the case, rather than their being lost in the mail, but I'm definitely nervous about that.

Not a teacher here, but work does take your mind off it!

It annoys me so much that they do this. One of my applications says they haven't received my GRE scores yet, and I sent them almost 2 months ago now. All other schools I sent scores to at the same time got them. I asked them and they told me not to worry about it, but to be honest I do worry about it because it's my application and not theirs, and I don't understand what the point of having an online status page is if it isn't actually up to date?! Anyway, I have a receipt from ETS for this so at least I won't have to fork out another ridiculous $20.

Astaroth:

I hear you. One of my schools also "never received" the GRE, never mind all the other schools received it. I was also told by the school not to worry. I suspect they are a bit relieved they never got my GREs because without the scores, they have an easy excuse to get rid of my application. ("One down, only 1,099 to read!")

Good luck getting your GRE scores to your programs.

Linden

argh! Is it ok to hate all you people who are already hearing from schools and posting on the results search here? Knowing that others are hearing makes it both better and worse...well it actually makes it worse only, but there is no way I could help myself from looking ;)

Well now it looks like all five of the schools I've applied to have got my GRE results and references etc... Leaving me as the only person not to know my AWA score :(

Now it really is just about waiting. At least I've got a scholarship interview in mid-January to keep my mind occupied for the next while.

That's weird -- they should have sent you a copy of your score report when they sent it to your schools...you should call them!

I think somewhere between the USPS, Christmas and the UK postal system it might have fallen into the cracks. If I don't get it this week I'll get in touch with ETS.

Well I just called that last school who "hadn't received my GRE yet" and asked them what exactly is going on... the very nice lady on the other end of the line asked for my surname, said she would check something, and in about 30 seconds she said "yes, we have it, i'll update your status page".

:x

I'm waiting and waiting for Penn to "receive" most of my materials -- GRE, one paper recommendation, transcript -- meaning they need to find it in a huge pile of pre-break mail and pass it on to the department. Unfortunately, as I learned in another thread in the History forum, this particular program has already started offering interviews. Eeep! After two frantic phone calls today, I feel only a tiny bit reassured. I wish I could start working on the senior thesis chapter I need to complete this week, but no luck. I'm here instead. I'll be so glad when this is all over.

Well boredom drove me to ring up ETS today to pay $12 to get my GRE AWA scores (which STILL haven't shown up in the post!). Very pleased to have gotten 5.5 AWA, which will hopefully my V690 (96th percentile) and weaker Q610 (51st percentile). I'm hoping that the 600+ on quantitative will get me past the admin monkeys, then if the profs see I can write dem English real good they won't be put off :P