Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Before you ask "WHAT ARE MY CHANCES???"...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 kaykaykay

kaykaykay

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Poli Sci

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

I have to add that the application process is a crapshot even if you are the best candidate. Usually there a lot of idiosyncratic decisions are made even if you make it to the last cut. So even if you are Ivy league material and we could (??) judge it by your numbers in the last cut there is approximately double of the number of students that they are going to take. At that level the adcoms are trying to put together a class, with balance of students/ professors, personal matters, geography , balance with previous years' classes, funding opportunities etc.

#22 oliviaeden

oliviaeden

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Program:PhD English: CW

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:06 AM

English are the only professors you cannot contact? I am curious where you got that info? I was planning to contact a few English profs from potential schools and never heard this "mysterious" rule, so thank you for head up :rolleyes:

#23 Strangefox

Strangefox

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • Program:Social sciences

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:32 AM

English are the only professors you cannot contact? I am curious where you got that info? I was planning to contact a few English profs from potential schools and never heard this "mysterious" rule, so thank you for head up :rolleyes:

I've got this info from The Grad Cafe :) Last year when I was applying I read lots of old threads here. There were threads about contacting professors and several people confirmed that you don't normally contact professors if your field is English. May be it works for some other humanities as well - but they talked only about English. You can search for these threads on this board and if you don't find them, I believe you can start another thread dedicated to this issue. May be some current English students will answer your questions better.

Good luck!
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

#24 speculum

speculum

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Program:Art History

Posted 14 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

Contacting professors/research interests/publications: do they apply to terminal Masters programs or just PhD programs?
Applied: Tufts, BU, UMD, Williams, UMass Amherst, Chapel Hill
Accepted: Tufts, BU, UMD
Rejected:

#25 Strangefox

Strangefox

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • Program:Social sciences

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

Contacting professors/research interests/publications: do they apply to terminal Masters programs or just PhD programs?

I think it is less common to contact professors if you are applying to a Masters program - but you can definitely try. It cannot hurt you and who knows - if your interests will match perfectly those of some faculty member, it can help a lot!
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams

#26 Sigaba

Sigaba

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:History, ABD

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

I also doubt that the people in Offically Grads would necessarily know much better *just* because they themselves got into grad school. They were able to get into grad school because they applied to the right schools at the right time. They did their homework on where they would be a good fit, and basically everything else that Strangefox said in his original post. But they are not on any admissions committees, just like any of us current applicants. All they really would be basing their information on would be their own numbers, and those that they have heard about. I think that they just did what was in the end best for them, using many sources of information, including other people at this site.

didn't think this one through, did ya?

finding out the stats of students accepted into the programs you are interested in is obviously more helpful in estimating your own chances compared to discussing imaginary cutoff stats with other current applicants - people who are potentially just as clueless as yourself. that's just a waste of time.

Precisely how do you know that comparing numbers is "obviously" more helpful?

Do successful applicants get in primarily because of their numbers? Are other factors--including academic pedigree, LoRs, the SoP, interviews, correspondence, and behind-the-curtain discussions--that display an applicant's potential, punctuation, and personality are less important? What about the departmental politics and economic calculations that factor into the deliberation?

Do successful applicants get a debriefing that tells them why they were admitted and others were not? Or are they left to read the tea leaves and make guesses that, no matter how well founded and educated, are still guesses?

In the effort to create an “instant history” with which we could live and prosper, our early historians intentionally placed our early national heroes and leaders beyond the pale of criticism. . . . And this distorted image of them has not only created a gross historical fallacy, but it has also rendered it utterly impossible to deal with our past in terms of the realities that existed at that time. To put it another way, our romanticizing about the history of the late eighteenth century has prevented our recognizing the fact that the founding fathers made serious mistakes that have greatly affected the course of our national history from that time to the present.

John Hope Franklin, ISBN-0807115479, p. 154.

#27 Hatem

Hatem

Espresso Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationEgypt
  • Program:Biology

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

Yes!
I'm applying to terminal master in biological sciences and all the schools I'm interested in stated that I should contact professors whose research interests appeal to me.Moreover I should mention my research interests in my SOP.

#28 karent

karent

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationWharton, NJ
  • Application Season:2013 Fall
  • Program:MA in Slavic Studies/MLS

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

This is such a great thread.  It totally made me feel better about my chances at schools because I concentrated so much on fit.  Who knows what will happen, but my current nerves are somewhat calmed.

- Karen

Applied to: Indiana University - Bloomington (REEI MA/MLS); University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (REEEC MA); University of PIttsburgh (MA in Slavic Languages and Literatures).

Waitlisted: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (REEEC MA); University of Pittsburgh (MA in Slavic Languages and Literatures)

Accepted: Indiana University - Bloomington MLS, Indiana University - Bloomington (REEI MA)

Attending: Indiana University - Bloomington (REEI MA/MLS)

#29 uromastyx

uromastyx

Mocha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

The GRE is often the crux of this matter. May I say:

the only thing worse than "My GRE scores are V145 & Q147. What are my chances at Stanford?"

is "I got V170 & Q168. Should I retake??"

:blink: :angry: :blink:

#30 tarrman

tarrman

Latte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUSA, East Coast
  • Program:EE Ph.D.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

the only thing worse than "My GRE scores are V145 & Q147. What are my chances at Stanford?"

Those threads are cancerous. As an EE Ph.D. applicant, I found my Q162 to be abysmally low and these kinds of threads only made me feel worse. Somehow, I found the strength to not retake, and now that I'm getting acceptances from top programs, I'm glad I didn't waste another $200+ on that test. I really think it's only used to weed out applicants initially at schools with a large pool.

Attending: Princeton!!!!

#31 midnight

midnight

Latte Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Program:SLP

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

uromastyx, I wish I could accuse you of hyperbole, but I'm afraid you're not far off from the reality of Grad Cafe.

And clearly the answers to those questions are EXCELLENT and YES. ^_^

#32 mookrit

mookrit

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Spring
  • Program:Political Science

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

I really think it's only used to weed out applicants initially at schools with a large pool.

Does someone have confirmation from inside admissions offices that this is true?

#33 Loric

Loric

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Application Season:2014 Spring

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:05 AM

I wish I could find the page again - but digging through heaps of data on a school's website I saw a note that they expect a 290 or higher combined from the GRE.

It's an "art" school. That doesn't require the GRE and yet I somehow found an old reference to it buried away in layers of web pages about admissions.

So I use that as my mental baseline for "test/retest"

#34 salmazahran1992

salmazahran1992

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEgypt
  • Application Season:Not Applicable
  • Program:Masters

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

Thank you so much for this advice, but i have a question, how to approach exactly the professors and make them want you? there are hundreds of applicants who have the same GRE, TOEFL, GPA as yourself? Please i would really appreciate it especially i am thinking about applying to PhD program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users