Asian Studies 2012

I know there was one for last year's application cycle, so it is only logical we start one for ours :D

Are you seeking a Master''s or PhD in Asian Studies?

Are you specializing? Far East? South East? Tibetan? What country?

Where are you applying OR thinking of applying? What steps do you need to finish or do you have any advice?

I know the application periods for most school's don't start until a few months from now - but we can still talk and obsess about it now, deshou?

Hey! I will be applying for fall 2012 PhD programs. My specialization is Japan literature, but the specifics get a little crazy after that.

Just finished the GRE here in Yokohama, and am almost violently happy to be done with it.

Yoroshiku!

I'm taking my GRE in America on the 8th, a week before I fly back to Tokyo! I wish you well with your literature studies - Japanese literature is so intense! If I ever have to read the Tale of Genji again I'll cry.

Right now I think I'm going to apply for a Masters, not a PhD since I don't think I'm qualified enough.

ganbaremashou!

Oh dear god, Genji... No, I stick with more modern texts (I'm finishing up a law degree right now, and I don't even want to think of the craziness that would involve working with premodern Japanese literature and law...).

Best of luck on the GRE in a few weeks, as well as your applications!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I will be applying for fall 2012 PhD programs. My specialization is Japan literature, but the specifics get a little crazy after that.

Just finished the GRE here in Yokohama, and am almost violently happy to be done with it.

Yoroshiku!

Were you an IUC student by chance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm excited to see a post for this year's cycle!

I'm applying for EAS masters programs, and one PhD program for good measure. My languages are Mandarin, Japanese, Classical Chinese, and some Cantonese (along with the usual set of European languages).

My interests include history, contemporary and historical international relations, and linguistic history, as well as history of Chinese medicine.

NOT interested in pursuing PhD in Chinese literature, though I'd love to take a few classes.

I feel confident about being accepted to at least some of the masters programs. The real trick will be getting funding!

Yoroshiku!

认识你们我很高兴!

Applying: Yale, Harvard, Princeton (PhD), Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, possibly Duke.

EAS masters, Chinese history/international relations

Hi guys!

I'm applying for a MA in East Asian studies. East Asia doesn't seem like a popular region, which makes my choices extremely limited >.< But my top choice would be the UofHawaii at Manoa and I'm planning on applying for a MA at WashU and UW-Madison as well.

It's funny how life turns out though. I entered undergrad thinking I would major in East Asian politics, signed up for two years of school in Japan, but here I am now totally obsessed over East Asia!

Good luck everybody!

• 3 weeks later...

@gradcafe26

I do not think I've ever seen an actual Ranking in East Asian Studies - just user guesses. University of Hawaii has one of the largest (if not the largest) Chinese and Japanese language program and are known for their Asian Studies program. Their funding is limited though. One of the Universities in the California system would be pretty high ranked too, but I forget which haha!

I am applying at: UofHawaii, UofBritish Columbia, Duke University, WUSTL and  Yale University, Seton Hall for now. Though it might change. I'm feeling out my applications in November when I get my GRE Scores.

I might suggest going back in this section's archives to the Asian Studies section for 2011. It was MUCH more active than this one and a lot of people there discussed their dream schools. Since you might go for a Poly Sci masters, you should look for schools with Strong Poli Sci departments that also offer Asian Studies. This way you should find Asian Studies prorams that focus on politics. Some only focus on language. Others on history. Others on policy. Others on EVERYTHING.

Good Luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm an EAST applicant from last year. Just wishing you all the best of luck with your applications! I'm currently working on my MA at UAlberta, so if you have any questions about our program, feel free to ask. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm an EAST applicant from last year. Just wishing you all the best of luck with your applications! I'm currently working on my MA at UAlberta, so if you have any questions about our program, feel free to ask. :D

Hey! I checked out UAlberta, and it seemed limited on funding :( !!

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to my schools, but my professors haven't finished letters of rec yet (I told them in August...ahhhhhh)

I just took my last final for college 2 days ago.... which means I officially graduated though XD so happy bout that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm applying to MA programs in East Asian studies with emphasis on Korean studies for Fall 2012. Anyone else interested in Korean studies? It's kind of lonely being a Korean studies applicant...I don't know a lot of people studying this region.

I'm still finishing up applications. Hope to have the last couple of one's done before the end of this year!

I'm already thinking about Plan B just in case it doesn't work out :/

Thanks Fell4Ever! Are you done with apps? Best of luck to you too :)

I only filled out two applications because of finances and the such :( I just found out literally 30 minutes ago that I got accepted into Seton Hall's Asian Studies Master's program. Still need to see if I get accepted into their International Relations program too because I want a duel degree. If I do not get into their IR program, I'm not sure if I'll go to Seton Hall because I don't know how well known it is XD Oh well... but I really want to go now that I've been in XD XD XD I'm still waiting for the University of British Columbia. I wont find out about them for like... 3 months though! Its crazy!

Best of luck to us all!

I only filled out two applications because of finances and the such :( I just found out literally 30 minutes ago that I got accepted into Seton Hall's Asian Studies Master's program. Still need to see if I get accepted into their International Relations program too because I want a duel degree. If I do not get into their IR program, I'm not sure if I'll go to Seton Hall because I don't know how well known it is XD Oh well... but I really want to go now that I've been in XD XD XD I'm still waiting for the University of British Columbia. I wont find out about them for like... 3 months though! Its crazy!

Best of luck to us all!

Congratulations Fell4Ever! I am completely jealous that you have already heard from one of your programs--I don't anticipate hearing until *at least* the end of January. Anyway, maybe you can relax a little now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi waiting4breakthrough,

I'm the Student Affairs Officer for the Weatherhead East Asian Institute's Master of Arts in Regional Studies-East Asia Program. If you are looking at Korean Studies I would encourage you to apply to our program. With Professors like Charles Armstrong and Theodore Hughes and the Center for Korean Research, our students have access to great professors and conferences. Let me know if you have any questions!

I know there are always questions about the difference in MARSEA, EALAC or LSMA so here's a chart to help: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/weai/ma-programs-summary.html

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum, though I have been lurking for a month or so. I am applying to a handful of programs for Japanese literature.

I'm wondering if anyone has started their financial aid applications. It seems some of my programs have a fast-approaching aid deadline, but haven't given me any indication of how to proceed. Any advice from those who have started or finished the process?

Thanks!