Has anyone used a SOP review service?

Sorry if I missed a previous post about this, but I've seen a few online SOP review services advertised on the net and around campus and I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them?

I have a few questions:

1. Which company did you use, how much did you pay, and did you feel it was worth it?

2. Did they just suggest grammar or work with you in-depth on the content and framing?

3. Did you get help on just your SOP or did they provide a whole application strategy? If so, what did that entail?

4. Was it successful? Did you get into the schools you wanted?

Thanks, I'm applying to International Relations programs, but any help is valuable.

i haven't used those services so wouldn't know. but if you want to post your SoP here in the forum, someone will go over it and provide you with helpful suggestions. a lot of people do this, and we all try to pitch in. once the application season is in its full swing, you will be able to find a lot of friendly folks who will review your SoP.

I second bhikhaari. I got a lot of help from this forum last year when I was writing my SoP. Writing a good SoP isn't a secret art that you need an "professional expert" to assist you with. When you're writing your SoP you can solicit reviews on this forum by asking for people to review your SoP. Many people on here do it when they have the time.

I wouldn't waste money on those services. I think most of them are scams. Professors and academics are of much more use to you. Have your undergrad profs read and comment on your SOP. PM it to people who offer on here. Does your undergrad have a writing center? Take your SOP there if so.

I haven't used a SOP review service. I think just having professors in your field review your SOP is more than fine...that is the route I took. First of all, this method is free (a simple thank you card or something along those lines is more than enough to show your appreciation). More importantly, professors in your field have experience when it comes to writing an effective SOP...they have written one themselves and also have reviewed many of these documents if they sat on an admissions committee. I am unfamiliar with the SOP review service, so I don't know who is hired to review the SOP...but again, I would put my trust in several professors in the appropriate field.

Edited by ZeeMore21

Hi, I've just been through the process of applying for Global Affairs and International Development programs for Fall 2011 (George Mason, George Washington, American U)...I'll be happy to provide any assistance. Just PM me if you'd like or post in the Government Affairs forum. Don't waste your money, there's too much help and information right here for free.

Most of the schools I applied to (~20) specifically said on their application that they WOULD NOT accept your application if you had procured such services.

I myself consider it unethical to use one, since the quality and voice of your SOP is supposed to accurately represent your abilities, not the abilities of a paid substitute.

Most of the schools I applied to (~20) specifically said on their application that they WOULD NOT accept your application if you had procured such services.

I myself consider it unethical to use one, since the quality and voice of your SOP is supposed to accurately represent your abilities, not the abilities of a paid substitute.

This is interesting....I didn't know that some schools banned this. I wonder how an admissions committee would figure out if someone used paid services though.

I concur with those who said this was useless and essentially a scam, like many for-profit educational 'services'. If a person can't write an effective SOP without paid assistance, they really ought not to be in grad school.

I concur with those who said this was useless and essentially a scam, like many for-profit educational 'services'. If a person can't write an effective SOP without paid assistance, they really ought not to be in grad school.

I agree with that...there definitely is no probably with getting assistance with your draft, but actually paying for services seems wrong.

They ban review services? Or writing services?

Obviously I can see why a writing service would be banned. I don't understand, though, how a review service would be: how is it any different, ethically, than having a colleague, professor, or friend/family member read over it?

Edited by runonsentence

They ban review services? Or writing services?

Obviously I can see why a writing service would be banned. I don't understand, though, how a review service would be: how is it any different, ethically, than having a colleague, professor, or friend/family member read over it?

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with paying a professional, if you so choose, to read and edit your SOP. I don't think the OP was inquiring about services that will write it for you.

I don't know exactly what a paid "review" service would entail and how they function, so I can't say if it's a positive or negative thing, I just think that paying for that kind of thing is completely unnecessary for obvious reasons. Aside from grammar and flow, it's not like anyone can tell better than you if your goals, interests, and experiences have been accurately expressed...so what you'd be paying for is beyond me. And if you're going to pay someone to write it you'd still have to express in great detail all of your relevant experiences, career goals, research interests and all of that, so I feel like if you can do that then it should stand to reason that you can write that down yourself in an SOP. Every so often someone who runs those services creates an account here and posts little one liners that have nothing to do with anything like "good luck, maybe you should try this really great service, I heard it's helpful" or "thanks for sharing your ideas" in multiple threads in hopes that you'll click on the link in their signatures which of course leads you to their "consulting" service websites. They're obnoxious and I report them immediately.

Correct. By no means would I ever want someone else to write my SOP, I am more interested in a check on grammar and if the statement would be compelling to an admissions board. I think the review process on here is great, but I'd rather not put mine out in cyberspace. Also, I thought a service might offer an expert eye that has reviewed hundreds of SOPs and understands what it takes to get into a top program.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Agreed. I see nothing wrong with paying a professional, if you so choose, to read and edit your SOP. I don't think the OP was inquiring about services that will write it for you.

Also, I thought a service might offer an expert eye that has reviewed hundreds of SOPs and understands what it takes to get into a top program.

FWIW (and speaking as a currnet writing center tutor), I'm 99% positive you'll get infinitely better feedback from a writing center tutor or from a professor from undergrad. Especially because professors (and many PhDs in writing centers) have successfully gone through the process themselves, whereas I suspect that those behind SoP review services haven't.

But good luck, whatever you choose to do.

Edited by runonsentence

I don't really see what the problem is with just giving your draft to professors to read, they too could have read many personal statements. I think most posters here recognize how expensive this whole application process is and are offering you a way to cut down costs. It really isn't necessary to pay someone you don't know to look over your statement. It makes more sense, however, to give it to someone who is not only familiar with your work, but would do the work of editing for free.

Edited by ZeeMore21

Correct. By no means would I ever want someone else to write my SOP, I am more interested in a check on grammar and if the statement would be compelling to an admissions board. I think the review process on here is great, but I'd rather not put mine out in cyberspace. Also, I thought a service might offer an expert eye that has reviewed hundreds of SOPs and understands what it takes to get into a top program.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

And again, I am not familiar with the application review service, but I would argue that professors would have more of an expert eye when it comes to knowing what it takes to get into a program...obviously they were successful not only getting into a doctoral program, but also finding employment in their field. They have been in their field for years, so they know the inside and outside of their field in particular and academia in general.

I honestly would take the advice of posters in this thread encouraging to seek help elsewhere, but of course, the choice is yours at end of the day.

There is a lot of great advice on this board. Thank you all. I doubt I will use the service, but if I do, I'll let you all know how it is.

And again, I am not familiar with the application review service, but I would argue that professors would have more of an expert eye when it comes to knowing what it takes to get into a program...obviously they were successful not only getting into a doctoral program, but also finding employment in their field. They have been in their field for years, so they know the inside and outside of their field in particular and academia in general.

I honestly would take the advice of posters in this thread encouraging to seek help elsewhere, but of course, the choice is yours at end of the day.

• 2 years later...

i tried a really good editing service once, message me for more details. links to services aren't allowed and i don't want to be called a spammer or anything

This thread is more than two years old. Which means you had to go looking for it. Thanks for the offer to "help" but no thanks.

Spam. More subtle spam, but stil spammy spam spam.

• 6 years later...