Have you seen this? Essay service scams.

Mal83

Wow...there is a whole website/forum dedicated to researching and discovering essay and research paper services that are scams. People who start such services in countries like Pakistan and India claiming to be from the US who can write papers for you and charge 20-40 dollars a page! How anyone can use one of these service is beyond me...here's the link...

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/9/usatermpapers-com-new-scam-pakistan-1273/

We've had students use these services before at my institution. Luckily, because of all the preliminary drafting/prewriting activities we require and the amount of writing we see from each student, there are ways to spot this in a writing classroom.

Just go to Craigslist. You'll see how common it is.

I started reading the threads on this particular forum, it's just insanity, the amount of trolling, spamming, bickering, and advertising that went on there, not to mention those who have expressed regret at paying hundreds of dollars for a paper that's been plagiarized anyway or not delivered on time. Someone payed 1250 pounds for a dissertation, he believed that the service would provide him with an ORIGINAL dissertation in 48 hours, of course it was not delivered, and then proceeded to express outrage what was delivered was not up to par. I couldn't even imagine being that desperate or foolish.

Just yesterday there was a student in my local area asking for science students on Craigslist to do her labs (for a summer course, presumably). How stupid can you get? Like people from the university wouldn't spot it. I suppose some students really don't think professors exist outside of the classroom.

This also reminds me of the people who scam apocalyptic Christians who think the end is nigh by promising to take care of their pets after the righteous are lifted up to heaven. Since that time is uncertain, the services charge a small monthly fee! Like cheaters and plagiarists, it is difficult for me to feel sorry for the apocalyptic Christians here, who are technically the victims of such scams.

This also reminds me of the people who scam apocalyptic Christians who think the end is nigh by promising to take care of their pets after the righteous are lifted up to heaven. Since that time is uncertain, the services charge a small monthly fee! Like cheaters and plagiarists, it is difficult for me to feel sorry for the apocalyptic Christians here, who are technically the victims of such scams.

Well, this definitely derails the original thread, but I would argue the promise to take care of the pets is not a scam. If one subscribed to the notion that when the end comes, the believers are lifted and their pets may be left behind, it makes perfect sense to sign a contract with non-believers to take care of the pets for the remainder of the pets' short life. It would be a scam if the rapture occurred and the pets were not taken care off, but I'm not sure why selling "Rapture" insurance for the pets is a scam.

I mean this particular forum, from what I've gathered, is dedicated to exposing scams and to report bad experiences in hopes others don't use that service/company (if you can call it that). So one of the main forum rules is that you are not allowed to post about good experiences because that means you either are a representative of that service or your advertising for them, yet thread after thread there is dedicated to procuring information on a so-called good essay/paper writing service. Students genuinely wanting to know which service they can actually get a good "product" from are all over the place, they are literally providing their email addresses so those from these services hanging around the forum can actually get in touch with them. There are so many of these websites offering papers and essays that claim to be based in the US or UK but they're really in Kenya, India, Pakistan, etc. so the papers, if they're done at all, are not written by native speakers of English and it's obvious. There is a very active and outspoken member by the user name WriterBeware, I'm guessing she started/owns the site, who is incredibly adamant about not allowing any advertising of any sort or the solicitation of clients by these services and gets quite defensive when she sees it, however, she does seem to come to the defense of one such service called "Essaytown.com" calling it a legit company and that any bad experiences with that one is the fault of the "client." There have been few users claiming that she actually runs or works for Essaytown...which she vehemently denies, who knows, but it is odd that that's the only one she's defended, everything else according to her is garbage. The whole this is bizarre and twisted really, not just this forum, but the idea that some of these services actually have gone and posted there justifying themselves by saying "it is against our policy for students to turn in our papers for academic credit, they are to be used as guides or models for their own work." This is outrageous for so many reasons. There are a number of "writers" on this forum who claim they manage to create completely original research papers in a few days and make tons of money doing it, just so students can use them as "guides." Right.

Edited by Mal83

The whole this is bizarre and twisted really, not just this forum, but the idea that some of these services actually have gone and posted there justifying themselves by saying "it is against our policy for students to turn in our papers for academic credit, they are to be used as guides or models for their own work." This is outrageous for so many reasons. There are a number of "writers" on this forum who claim they manage to create completely original research papers in a few days and make tons of money doing it, just so students can use them as "guides." Right.

It is twisted. It is like a moral emperor-has-no-clothes where the people are engaging in an unambiguously unethical practice and yet pretending they have a legit service. Why bother to pretend? Are they deluding themselves, or are these disclaimers coming from some (poorly understood) concern about legal liability?

ETA: As for the Rapture Pet Service, I think people who sell healing crystals or any other product/service which hinges on belief (and belief alone - no verifiable facts involved) are also scammers. Some would argue that they are just answering demand for certain belief-based goods and services, and while I can see where this is coming from I still think it is a scam. Demand for goods, and beliefs for that matter, can often be created out of nothing by marketers. As you say, though, that is rather off-topic.

Edited by qbtacoma

This particular thread makes me really grateful that I have never even realized that companies like this existed let alone considered using one...it pretty much descends into complete madness at around page 3. This one alone would make never ever want to even create an account there...yikes! These people should be ashamed of themselves...all of them.

http://www.essayscam.org/Forum/9/essay-town-atrocious-service-poor-essay-2371/

This particular thread makes me really grateful that I have never even realized that companies like this existed let alone considered using one...

http://www.essayscam...oor-essay-2371/

Interesting - I didn't read too much beyond the first post, but it seems the author of that initial post seems fairly articulate and able to construct (somewhat) of an argument...why not just write the damn paper, than waste all this time, angst and energy battling the service's customer service and complaining on a vitriolic internet forum...?

Here is an article I read this spring, penned by a writer for one of these services. He really details the vast and widespread scope for this practice of "purchasing" papers, theses and even dissertations. Rather chilling.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329

I taught at a private HS for many years where, sadly, cheating is rampant. It was most severe with certain special needs kids (dyslexia, severe issues with short term memory retention, writing, and reading comprehension) that parents insisted on forcing through a college-prep curriculum. Spots for colleges and then, jobs, are so competitive that some people feel absolutely justified in using such a service.

Interesting - I didn't read too much beyond the first post, but it seems the author of that initial post seems fairly articulate and able to construct (somewhat) of an argument...why not just write the damn paper, than waste all this time, angst and energy battling the service's customer service and complaining on a vitriolic internet forum...?

Here is an article I read this spring, penned by a writer for one of these services. He really details the vast and widespread scope for this practice of "purchasing" papers, theses and even dissertations. Rather chilling.

http://chronicle.com...-Scholar/125329

I taught at a private HS for many years where, sadly, cheating is rampant. It was most severe with certain special needs kids (dyslexia, severe issues with short term memory retention, writing, and reading comprehension) that parents insisted on forcing through a college-prep curriculum. Spots for colleges and then, jobs, are so competitive that some people feel absolutely justified in using such a service.

That articles is fascinating and shocking all at the same time. I can't believe schools are so blind to this. You would think it would be fairly unusual to see an excellent paper out of someone who can barely speak English.

Wow, that was... special. I knew I was wasting time reading it, but it was like watching a car wreck, I just couldn't look away!

That's exactly what this is, a giant disaster of a car wreck that you cannot stop glaring at...I was just shocked at how these people, even if you take away the bickering, trolling, and insulting sprees, are discussing how to cheat as if it's a totally natural thing to do. They're asking about "good" companies, which ones are bad, they want to know which one is better for this type of paper, as well as expressing outrage and indignation when they've given over hundreds, or in some cases, a good thousand dollars/GBP in return for a poor quality product. They're demanding refunds, they're complaining about the papers because they've been plagiarized, the writing is not on the level they requested, they're not long enough, the grammar is terrible...on and on and on. I just want to scream through the screen.."serves you right!!! do your own work!!." But like I said, I will certainly not be creating an account just to post that for those lunatics. The general justification is that these "papers" are supposed to be used for models and guides for original work, it's against the law to turn in the company's paper as is, but sorry, you don't spend that kind of money unless you're stupid, lazy, or desperate to get something in on time..these people are hoping for a basically good enough project so they can just tweak it to their writing style and get an A. It's like buying a cake at a bakery, taking it home, throwing a few sprinkles on top and then telling everyone at the party that you made it all by yourself with your own recipe. For shame.

http://chronicle.com...-Scholar/125329

Were you allowed to punish the cheaters?

I worked very briefly for a site like this that specialized in hiring freelance writers to compose all manner of college-level writing, from simple research papers to dissertations. Some folks offered several thousand dollars for doctorate-level dissertations. I wrote a paper for someone(short, maybe 3 pages with bibliography) and was never paid for it despite putting many bugs in the admins' ears, so I never went back. It's not my place to judge folks who need such services, but I'll be damned if I'm doing charity work for a student when I have my own crap to do. But such services can be used to get around Copyscape too (I think).

I worked very briefly for a site like this that specialized in hiring freelance writers to compose all manner of college-level writing, from simple research papers to dissertations. Some folks offered several thousand dollars for doctorate-level dissertations. I wrote a paper for someone(short, maybe 3 pages with bibliography) and was never paid for it despite putting many bugs in the admins' ears, so I never went back. It's not my place to judge folks who need such services, but I'll be damned if I'm doing charity work for a student when I have my own crap to do. But such services can be used to get around Copyscape too (I think).

...I am speechless.

It isn't surprising that you don't recognize this as unethical behavior, considering your resentment about higher ed. But presenting the work of others as your own is wrong, and what you did was wrong, too. I'm glad you didn't get paid.

The forum that I mentioned above is like the Jerry Springer show of the internet and I'm just absolutely positively intrigued at the conduct of these people. Yes, there are also many aspiring "writers" that hope to find a "good" company that will actually pay them for their work. Some of them have expressed outrage at not being paid by these scam sites that are based in the Middle East or Eastern Europe. Those that are already employed and successfully making money are just so proud of what they do, it's unbelievable. And the few that post about good experiences claim that they will "definitely use the company again." So basically they are paying someone else to get the degree for them and they're talking about it like buying a car or something, you have to "place an order for custom work." I can't get over the idea of someone paying for a dissertation, so pathetic, someone actually posted that they're willing to shell out a good $5000 if someone can recommend a good company. Higher education is a privilege and the students that actually seek out this service as well as those that are willing to provide it are diminishing that. Just me, you expected to be paid to cheat for someone who was too lazy to do their own little 3 page homework assignment or too afraid to tell the professor they're having a hard time, not sure how you're OK with that, but that's one of the points of this topic, to discuss how incomprehensible it is.

Edited by Mal83

As said, I was not questioning the ethics of why anyone was offering money for someone else to do their homework for them. As far as I'm concerned, their laziness should have resulted in my being paid for rendering of writing services. I personally would not stoop to the point of paying for a research paper myself, but people make money off the laziness of others on a regular basis. I feel those with money to throw around who hire house cleaners are lazy; you can't run a vacuum or dust a table? But hey, if someone wants to be lazy, they know they can just pay someone to complete the tasks they don't want to do.

And if a student chooses to have someone else get their degree for them - and is willing to pay more money on top of tuition - that's their choice. If they don't get caught, it will just instill the belief in them that they can buy their way to success and will be essentially invincible...and they are very likely to learn things the hard way eventually: that they cannot buy their way out of every little problem.

Maybe it's wrong and maybe it's not. As far as I'm concerned, someone who can't be arsed to write their own papers is only harming themselves, but it's still their choice. Kind of like if I were a cashier at McDonald's and a 700-pound person comes in and gets ten cheeseburgers for themselves. Am I going to judge them and refuse them service because I feel the decision they're making is wrong and potentially harmful? To their face, no...they will pay for things they want, so they will receive the things they want from someone, even if it's not myself. I'm sure this customer, much like a student who buys a research paper, knows the risks involved. But as I said before, since I was not paid, I no longer work for that site. This is something I do with anyone I do any work for....you don't pay me money I was told I'd get, I don't continue to do work for you. Period.

Someone paying you to clean their house is contributing to a legitimate business, you would be paying me to do a service that doesn't cheat the system in anyway. I clean your house, you pay me, I can pay my bills...in good conscience. There's no ethical dilemma involved there. And as far as selling a cheeseburger to a 700lb person, it's not your job to judge if they should eat it or not, it's not up to you as a McDonald's employee, who has to serve everyone, to "rescue" someone from a heart attack, it's their job, but if they choose to buy it and eat it, the system hasn't been cheated as a result, no moral codes have been broken.

But yes, you're right in that there will always be people willing and able to pay for things to be done for them regardless of the ethics involved. The service that these companies and writers are providing are solely for the purpose of helping students cheat in one of the worst ways they can, by handing in work that is not even remotely their own. Anyone who has any respect for education understands the magnitude of that, especially when it comes to an entire thesis or dissertation, sorry, but that's despicable no matter how you slice it. The fact that there are demand and willingness to pay for the service doesn't automatically absolve the provider of wrong doing. Both the writer and student are involved in cheating the educational system by rewarding the student with something that they didn't earn, such as the grad, mark of accomplishment, or even the degree itself for the repeat customer.

It's incredible, every so often in that forum there's a revelation..."it's a scam! Do your own work!" Wow, maybe that should have been the agenda from the beginning, but really these particular students have decided to perhaps put in their own effort and earn their own grades only because the service cheated them in return, they got a crappy paper, it wasn't delivered on time, on and on, so buyer's remorse is driving them to academic integrity. It's kind of the same for the writer who does the work but doesn't get paid by the company.

I just don't understand how students can afford to do this. My undergrad tuition was only $6000 a year, and if I had been buying papers, I could have easily paid double (well maybe not because I'm in engineering, not so many papers). It can't solely be rich kids using this service.

Wow, I had heard of these services before when I was in undergrad a few times, but it never actually occurred to me to use one. I guess I'm a bit naive when it comes to the level of cheating across college campuses. I didn't do it, and I guess I just assumed that others didn't do it either--well...at least not on this level. Where do undergrads get this kind of money from?! My parents sent me $50 a week, hardly enough to pay for one pay, much less an entire essay.

I suppose when the entire market for this kind of service encompasses anyone in the world who can speak English, that's enough a large enough pool of people to find plenty of folks with an extra few thousand dollars. That said, I'm sure many of them have made unwise financial choices to use these services - taking out loans, for example. Because if all they need to get a job is the piece of paper from the university, and the university doesn't catch the fraud (or isn't interested in catching the fraud, as I'm sure some of them are not), then all of this makes rational sense.

It is still highly unethical, though, in case anyone (*cough*JustMe*) was in doubt of that.

It's also graduate students, they're literally looking to pay for a dissertation or some other major project. I also never realized the scope of this, but I understand that people cheat in all aspects of life. I've been marveling at the brazen and wanton display of acceptance for this kind of thing on that forum. The site is called "EssayScam.com" and the owner (WritersBeware) or whatever role she plays, is on a personal crusade to expose the fraudulent companies, the ones that claim to be American or UK based but are actually in some non English speaking country that employ anyone who can rattle off a few sentences in English, take the money and run, or don't deliver. That is a noble endeavor, however she and many others that frequent that site are in no way shape or form against the "legit" companies that help students cheat, if they write a good paper for you and deliver it on time, then that means they are worthy of legitimate business status. Anyone who claims a bad experience that she doesn't believe, she rallies to the defense of the company and will also make all kinds of legal threats against you (libel, defamation). These freelance writers are not technically allowed to advertise their services there but they pretty much do and you see request after request from students to get in touch with them. They never really express why they're in need of such services, some are obviously ESL speakers who probably should not be studying in the US, some of them just seem to shopping around, and I've only seen one student profess that he was desperate and made a mistake. WritersBeware throws around the word criminal like it's going out of style to describe the users who she believes are scammers, but there are writers and company reps that post on the site who are spared her harassment because they provide "quality products and customer service." Warped isn't even the word for this.

Were you allowed to punish the cheaters?

Yes, we had an Honor Council. I took kids for several cases - most were students that would do a cut-and-paste, no paraphrasing, no bibliography job for their research projects (despite fair warning on rubrics).

For the instances where I was convinced I had papers that were not the students', it was handled differently. I can think of two instances where it was clear a parent had written the entire paper. These were both kids with Accommodation Plans for learning disabilities, however...much stickier issue. Even a colleague who sat on the Council and was hard-core about academic honesty balked at all the issues this would bring up. Kids work with tutors all the time, but there is a wide spectrum between "I brought a draft to my tutor, who helped me with some minor editing" vs. "this work was done by someone else, for pay." Unless there in the room with the kid and tutor when it happens, who can prove exactly what occurred? I brought the issue to admin and the Learning Support teachers, and about the farthest we got was a parent-teacher-admin conference (another teacher noticing the same as me was present) where we tried to explain to the parents, as tactfully as possible, why this quest for top grades was ultimately doing the kid a disservice.

Unfortunately at my school, several teachers didn't use the Council at all, and enough were completely oblivious that it was just a game to kids to figure out where Mr. or Mrs. So-and-So stood on copying worksheets, labs, letting eyes roam during tests, etc. Over the years I figured out ways, through my management style and requiring lab reports (very specific about activities/results in class), to minimize it from happening in the first place, at least in my classroom. I also required papers and annotated bibliographies to be turned in via turnitin.com, a service that organizes and scans all your students' papers for you for phrases similar to the rest of the class, databases, and internet...great resource!

Edited by mandarin.orange

Maybe it's wrong and maybe it's not. As far as I'm concerned, someone who can't be arsed to write their own papers is only harming themselves, but it's still their choice. Kind of like if I were a cashier at McDonald's and a 700-pound person comes in and gets ten cheeseburgers for themselves. Am I going to judge them and refuse them service because I feel the decision they're making is wrong and potentially harmful?

I don't think this is a fair comparison at all. Any accredited college/school/university is likely to have a statement about academic honesty in their student code of conduct. By enrolling, a student makes an implicit contract to adhere to said guidelines about submitting their OWN work. I highly doubt McD's has a Mission Statement that states they are not going to serve anyone 350+ lbs or the like.

Edited by mandarin.orange