Dog for a single grad student?

honkycat1

Hi guys, I'm considering in adopting a dog to live with me in my 1 br apartment. I'll be starting my first year of my phd program at bowling green and was wondering those that have pets/dogs, what is it like? Is managing a dog by myself possible? and this is more to do with time than finances... my apartment is about 10 minutes from my office and if I bike, it will be even quicker. its a small college town so walking the dog around the neighborhood will be pretty easy. so my main concern is how if a few hours a day to walk and train the dog is something I can manage.

chances are I'll wait for a bit once school starts before making any decisions but I just want to hear your opinions.

I have a dog, but I'm also married and during school when I am losing my mind, my husband is the one who walks her, takes her to vet appointments, and that sort of thing.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd get a dog alone in grad school, especially during the first year. It takes so much time and patience, which are both limited commodities during your first year. Crate training, house breaking, and all of that stuff takes a LOT of time.

Plus, not to sound like a nagging parent, but be sure to really consider the additional expenses incurred with owning a pet. Our dog has had stomach problems, which necessitates special (read: expensive) food, vet check-ups, and that sort of thing.

It's your decision, and I wouldn't trade my dog for anything, but I'm not sure I'd brave that.

I think a cat is a little bit easier than a dog if you are the only person there. They are more independent and usually don't require a lot of training. Typically they already know what a litter box is and how to use it, so there isn't a lot of effort that needs to go into house breaking. Don't get me wrong, I love my dog. It would have been hard to take care of her by myself though. If you have the time and patience to train a dog, then they are definitely worth the commitment.

Oh yes, make sure to have an emergency fund set up. Nothing like unexpected vet bills to put a strain on an already tight budget.

Edited by robot_hamster

I've gotten the following advice from students further along in my (humanities) program:

(1) Don't get a dog until you're done with coursework.

(2) When you are done with coursework, GET A DOG.

Practically: different breeds of dog can require very different amounts of human contact to be mentally healthy, as well as contact with other humans and animals to be well socialized. If you do decide to get a dog when you know you're going to be on campus/in lab most of the time (I'm not sure how lab-centric I/O psych is, sorry), be *sure* to take that into consideration.

I am so all about getting a dog. :D I can't wait!

If you're living alone and you're in grad school (university is a really busy time during any point), I'd say no to a dog--especially during your first year. Dogs require a lot of space and attention, and if you're busy with coursework, it's very likely that you won't be able to give them all of the attention they need.

My sophomore year of undergrad, I lived with a grad student who decided that she wanted to get a puppy. She was super busy all the time, and her poor dog stayed in its kennel all the time. She didn't have the time and energy to play with it and train it, so I ended up being the one who took care of it. Dogs take a lot of time and effort to take care of and train! Get a kitty, they're really good companions, and they require a great deal less work. I got a cat in undergrad, and I lived alone for two years--she definitely made things a lot less lonely, so it wasn't so bad to live alone! :)

And if you do decide to get a dog (or cat) please, please, please adopt one from a shelter. :)

Yes, yes, and YES. There are so many animals that are abandoned at shelters, and you could give them a new home and all the love they need!

To be fair, it'd be better to be fed in a crate in some grad student's house than to be euthanized in a shelter due to crowding.

However, I would say go with a cat. Much easier to deal with and they won't be upset that you're not around during the day.

I'm not going to tell you to go with a cat because I'm just NOT a cat person. But, there are many, many things to consider. First, puppies (ie, dogs under 8 months) require more work in terms of training, have more energy (so more/longer walks), and have to be let out more frequently. Second, you'll need to consider the time/money for obedience school, kenneling the dog or paying for a petsitter when you're out of town (holidays, conferences, etc.), and that sort of thing. It adds up pretty quickly.

I know a lot of people are saying that you should adopt from a shelter. While shelters are great, your situation lends itself more to adopting from a rescue group, imo. Why? Because, and I'll admit this varies from one group to the next, rescues tend to have their dogs in foster homes. The advantage for you is that you can learn a lot more about the dog's personality and energy level and possibly get a dog that already has some basic training.

Personally, I wouldn't get a dog right away. Get settled, start classes, figure out your TA/RA, and see how much extra time you have and when that is (keep a time log for the first few weeks). Now, add in several hours of dog walking/playtime throughout the day. Will you be more stressed? If so, then it may not be a good idea. I'd wait until second semester or the second year to get a dog. By then, you have an idea of how taxing grad school will be and how a dog will fit into that lifestyle, both in terms of time and finances.

Edited by msafiri

I agree that you should at least wait a few months to settle into your new mode of life (though the suggestion to wait until the end of coursework isn't a bad idea—it's what many in my own program have done). Think about it: as a young single person trying to make new friends, you'll want to be able to be flexible to meet up with people, crash at someone's house after a raucous "welcome to grad school party," tool around campus, etc. Having a dog means dropping your plans to go home to let it out to the bathroom and give it some attention after you've been away in class all day.

I'd probably second the recommendation for a rescue group: you might try http://www.petfinder.com/index.html . Whatever you do, don't buy from a petstore!

good replies everyone

I think my plan will be to first wait until I get a sense of my schedule, and definitely talk to some folks in the department with pets and see how it works out for them, and in terms of actually getting a dog, I will probably start by fostering where its less of a financial burden and not a long term commitment and see if it fits my lifestyle, and then go from there and decide if and what to adopt.

and if anyone else is interested in getting a new pet I think there are lots of good info in this thread. and I would def recommend my method to anyone wanting to testing it out.

I know a lot of people are saying that you should adopt from a shelter. While shelters are great, your situation lends itself more to adopting from a rescue group, imo.

+10 - adopting through a breed rescue group also allows you more control over what type of dog you get, as well as allowing you to get an older dog as opposed to a puppy (needs less attention). A lot of well-trained older dogs end up in rescue when their owners die or move, so if you're not dead-set on a puppy, it's the way to go.

To be fair, it'd be better to be fed in a crate in some grad student's house than to be euthanized in a shelter due to crowding.

Um...okay, I'm in general against euthanasia and all that, but for breeds prone to (or any individual dog who develops) separation anxiety), being locked in a crate all day with no contact is cruelty. Abuse.

Once you've seen furry sweethearts who have beaten their snouts and paws bloody trying to chew and claw open their crates day after day, who have eaten holes in solid-wood doorframes trying to get out of the house to find their owners but left everything else in the house completely pristine, you might start to rethink that.

I will probably start by fostering where its less of a financial burden and not a long term commitment and see if it fits my lifestyle, and then go from there and decide if and what to adopt.

Just a note--a lot of rescue/foster groups require that foster 'parents' already own a dog, in order to help teach the rescues how to be a pet. This does depend somewhat on what group, however, and is more common for breed-specific groups where a lot of the dogs are rescues from puppy mills.

(I have volunteered w/a breed rescue group in the past, FWIW, and I definitely plan to foster! But I also want my own. :D).

Edited by Sparky

Um...okay, I'm in general against euthanasia and all that, but for breeds prone to (or any individual dog who develops) separation anxiety), being locked in a crate all day with no contact is cruelty. Abuse.

Once you've seen furry sweethearts who have beaten their snouts and paws bloody trying to chew and claw open their crates day after day, who have eaten holes in solid-wood doorframes trying to get out of the house to find their owners but left everything else in the house completely pristine, you might start to rethink that.

The crate is temporary. That's what I've known people to do who are in process of training puppies. A trained dog never needs to stay in a crate when you're gone.

Still don't see how even what you described is worse than dying. I'd take being locked in a cell over being killed anyday.

The crate is temporary. That's what I've known people to do who are in process of training puppies. A trained dog never needs to stay in a crate when you're gone.

Still don't see how even what you described is worse than dying. I'd take being locked in a cell over being killed anyday.

Only one example I gave had to do with the crate. Destruction of property, especially (and usually only) around the door/window areas is a major sign of severe separation anxiety.

The rescue group I was with saved dogs from three main sources: (1) puppy mill mommies (2) owners who couldn't housetrain (3) owners who couldn't deal with the separation anxiety. In some cases, it was that the dog barked all. day. long. when the owner wasn't there, NO behavior modification training worked, and the landlord/neighborhood association basically said, "the dog goes or you go." In others, it was that the dog--whether in a crate or having run of the house/apt--did severe, repeated physical damage to itself or to the property. The people who had to give up their dogs to us for reasons 2&3 were, without exception, absolutely heartbroken. They loved their pets, they cared for their pets beyond everything, they just simply didn't realize that some dogs can't handle isolation. Or, in a couple of cases, thought that "well, my house alone is better than the cage at the SPCA, right?"

I am not making this shit up.

Euthanasia sucks. Overpopulation of pets in the U.S. is a big problem. SPAY AND NEUTER YOUR PETS, EVERYONE! ADOPT FROM RESCUE! But. It is cruel and abusive to adopt an animal whose needs you simply cannot handle. A dog is not an accessory.

Edited by Sparky

Another thing to consider: If you get a dog, what are you going to do with it when you travel? Is it feasible for you to take it along? Will you have friends in the area who can watch the dog for you (and with whom you could possibly swap this service?)

This one is a biggie for me because I'm in anthropology, and have to travel out-of-country for months at at time. Even though I have great roommates, we all travel quite a bit between semesters and just don't have the stability that it takes to commit to a dog. Sad face. Hoping to have a dog someday, after I graduate and find a job...

Another thing to consider: If you get a dog, what are you going to do with it when you travel? Is it feasible for you to take it along? Will you have friends in the area who can watch the dog for you (and with whom you could possibly swap this service?)

This one is a biggie for me because I'm in anthropology, and have to travel out-of-country for months at at time. Even though I have great roommates, we all travel quite a bit between semesters and just don't have the stability that it takes to commit to a dog. Sad face. Hoping to have a dog someday, after I graduate and find a job...

Yes, I have definitely considered this as well. Good thing is my parents live 1 hr from here and we've all taken care of the dog my gf and I had. So the dog will definitely be in good hands if I am to be out for the weekend. Being in I/O psychology means there isn't much "field" work to do, nor is there a lot of experimental time I need to put in the lab as far as I know.

I currently live with 3 dogs and I am going to miss them SO MUCH when I go away, but I know I won't have the time or flexibility to have a dog for a few years. And yes, while a cat is easier, it's not the same as a dog.

... I will probably start by fostering where its less of a financial burden and not a long term commitment and see if it fits my lifestyle, and then go from there and decide if and what to adopt.

and if anyone else is interested in getting a new pet I think there are lots of good info in this thread. and I would def recommend my method to anyone wanting to testing it out.

There are also some older threads on "Dogs in grad school" that you can find if you search the site.

As a foster mom, I just want to caution you about fostering. Yes, it's less financial commitment because you don't have the vet bills. But, as Sparky explains, it can be a LOT more work because you may get a dog that someone else has already tried--and failed--at training. Moreover, a lot of people I know and foster with find it difficult to give up the dog and end up keeping it. I know people that have kept 4-6 of their "foster" dogs as their own. And, as far as time, I'd just point out that I had my last foster dog for 5.5 months. Other people in my rescue group have had foster dogs for even longer.

In addition to the time training the dog, there's also the time spent driving that dog to and from adoption events (which is something you NEED to do if you want to have that dog adopted) and hanging out at those so you can talk up your dog to the people that come by. I would spend 3 hours every Saturday morning doing foster dog-related stuff (drop dog off and volunteer for 1-2 hours, drive home, run errands [do things like mop that can't be done with the dog around], pick dog up). Dog owners are spared that lengthy weekly commitment.

FWIW, neither of the rescue groups (two different ones in two different states) I've been involved with have required you to own a dog to become a foster parent. But, it can be easier with two dogs because one can model good behavior for the other and there's a built-in playmate. It's definitely something to ask about. Also, don't just go with the first rescue group you hear about. Ask around and find out where people adopt from. Also, talk to their other volunteers about policies and how supportive the group is. While many groups say that fosters have no out-of-pocket expenses, I have yet to find one where that is actually true. They'll pay vet bills and, in many cases, they'll pay for food and provide you with a crate and possibly food and water bowls. But, dogs need toys and you're going to buy those. You're going to pay for any damage caused by the dog. And, quite honestly, I've almost always paid for food myself.

+10 - adopting through a breed rescue group also allows you more control over what type of dog you get, as well as allowing you to get an older dog as opposed to a puppy (needs less attention). A lot of well-trained older dogs end up in rescue when their owners die or move, so if you're not dead-set on a puppy, it's the way to go.

I don't have much experience with breed rescues but do have lots of experience with dog rescues more generally. Getting a purebred dog has its advantages and disadvantages. A lot of the advantages of rescue dogs that Sparky is talking about are also the case with reputable all-breed dog rescues.

Agreed 100% on this. I know a lot of dogs with separation anxiety. My friends have a dog that barks every time they are both gone from the house. Luckily, their neighbors have dogs and just let her play with theirs when this happens. But, if they didn't have nice neighbors, it could be a nasty situation.

Yes, I have definitely considered this as well. Good thing is my parents live 1 hr from here and we've all taken care of the dog my gf and I had. So the dog will definitely be in good hands if I am to be out for the weekend. Being in I/O psychology means there isn't much "field" work to do, nor is there a lot of experimental time I need to put in the lab as far as I know.

What happened to your dog? Did it die or did your gf keep it? I hope you're not one of those dudes who abandons his dog once he breaks up with his ex. If you did, then I recommend you not get another one at this time. Dogs are not something that are disposable. Please rethink this if this is the case.

I have a dog and two cats that I have had for a couple of years. Adopting any animal is a commitment that you make for the entirety of that animal's life. Cats are much easier because they don't really need you for anything except for food/water/vet/box. Dogs need to be taken out frequently during the day. This means that you have to run back and forth from the library if you have lots of work that needs to be done there. Crating works for many people, but you can't leave a dog in a crate for twelve hours without food and water. Also, if you get a puppy, they can only stay in a crate for short periods of time before the need to urinate/defecate. It's a tough schedule to get used to. That being said, because I have had my animals for so long I know exactly what they need and plan my schedule accordingly. The dog is a couch potato and the cats sleep most of the time so they don't require too much work to entertain or exercise. My ultimate advice would be to get yourself settled into graduate school first before introducing an animal. The first few weeks after adopting can be very stressful!

Remember that you'll need to take time to socialize with the other students and make new friends. You don't want to be the one that is always running home at the end of the day so you can be with your dog.

What happened to your dog? Did it die or did your gf keep it? I hope you're not one of those dudes who abandons his dog once he breaks up with his ex. If you did, then I recommend you not get another one at this time. Dogs are not something that are disposable. Please rethink this if this is the case.

first of all, that type of dude would not make a thread about if its wise to get a dog

but my ex decided she would get the dog... seeing I broke up with her and she doesn't want anything to do with me, its the least I can do. I do mail treats and toys to her house for the pup though...

first of all, that type of dude would not make a thread about if its wise to get a dog

but my ex decided she would get the dog... seeing I broke up with her and she doesn't want anything to do with me, its the least I can do. I do mail treats and toys to her house for the pup though...

I've never posted to this forum before, but when I saw the topic it really hit home for a good friend of mine. My roommate's ex bought a dog with her with the understanding that they would care for the puppy together. A few months ago, he left her and even though she wanted to keep the dog anyway her ex didn't offer to pay for half of her care like food, vet bills, spaying, and other stuff that comes up when you have a pet. Maybe I shouldn't assume this, but you sound like you have done the exact same thing and are justifying it with the reason that your ex wanted the dog and that she "doesn't want anything to do with me." You didn't say anything about paying your part for your dog's care and sending a toy is hardly doing your part, so that is why I recommend that you not get another dog. You seem very fickle about this, and I won't comment about why your ex "doesn't want anything to do with me" but based on what I have read here I can kind of see why.

i know people that have got dogs as soon as they moved to the city to start grad school, and while they can manage, i don't think it's fair for the dog. leaving it home alone for 8-9 hours, in its kennel, with too much energy to burn, just doesn't seem like a good life for a dog. especially if you're in an apartment and not a house, you probably won't have yard space for the dog. i found, when i was watching a friend's dog for a week, that going up 3 flights of stairs several times a day just so the dog can piss was exhausting. my world would have been vastly different if i had a ground-floor place and a fenced yard for the dog.

i have a cat and he's very little work. i feed him, scoop his poop, and play with him. pretty simple. i'd love to get a dog, but i don't have the time or the space right now. when i'm done coursework and my research year, then i hope to get a dog if i live in the right kind of home for one.

you can make it work with a dog now, but it will take up a ton of time and energy in what is already an exhausting process of starting grad school. i'd also recommend waiting until you're done coursework to get a pup.