Dear GRE: I Think We Should Break Up

dlb89

Hello all fellow GRE-haters,

I'm looking to hear from those of you who are coming to terms with horrible GRE scores. Better yet, I'd love to hear from those who've received poor scores AND have managed to get into top programs. I'm feeling quite discouraged and am contemplating forgoing applying to American schools* this year in light of my scores, so an uplifting pep talk would be great :).

I have written the GRE twice, both times to receive equally abysmal scores...something in the range of 580V;380Q (wish I was kidding, but math is not my forte), 6AW.

Really, it comes down to laziness and a lack of available study time. I've been working and taking classes while attempting to prepare for the GRE, so my scores don't surprise me. Though it doesn't sit well with the rest of my application: I have a 4.0, research experience, very strong letters of reference, and have received various accolades/scholarships throughout my undergraduate career.

Bah, damn you GRE! Fie upon you!!!

*note: I'm a Canadian student and we folk up North are not as fixated with standardized testing as the States seems to be. No offense!

I could use a good pick me up, too. I am a HORRIBLE test taker and scored 440V and 500Q. I studied for months. Did incredibly well on the practice tests and scored consistently in the high 600s/low 700s. But, test day came and I overthought EVERYTHING.

I can't help but have nightmares about how this is going to affect me. I thought about doing a retake, but considering I've never tested well, I will only be hurting myself by retaking and getting another embarrassingly low score.

I would still recommend you to take the new GRE in August.

Perhaps you are not familiar with the new GRE. many things have changed.

Math is much easier, shorter, with a on-screen calculator.

Verbal is different. I don't know how you feel about reading.

Judging from your superb writing skills, reading shouldn't be a big issue for you.

Then, the new GRE, which emphasize on reading ( the comprehension part) will work to your advantage.

new G only allows 30 mins each in AW section.

If you are a strong writer, this still works to your advantage.

Your percentile will increase.

Edited by pizymisa

Another Canadian here! I took the GRE on Saturday, with mediocre results... had the same verbal score as you, but a 400something on the quantitative (I can't even remember the exact number, I just had to get out of the room after seeing my scores!). I expect a good score on AW, but since my other scores came as a surprise, I'm not really sure what to expect anymore.

I've already scheduled a new test for the end of August, since I do not want to apply with those scores. My understanding is that while the GRE isn't what gets you into a program, it can certainly keep you out. Adcomms need something to narrow down a large pile of applications, and GRE and GPA are generally what they use to weed out applicants who fall below acceptable numbers. I don't want to take any chances with a low GRE score.

Do you think you could improve your scores with more preparation and focus? Try and give it another shot, since under 1000 might not cut it for most American programs. Don't let the GRE spoil an otherwise great application!

Oh the GRE...all over this forum and any website dealing with grad school admissions for here in the US you'll see all kinds of theories about how the scores are weighted, what other accomplishments will offset a bad score, and basically the subjectivity of it all...I've seen people actually call their 1200-1300 scores "mediocre," that's right, mediocre...but it all depends on so many factors. However, the general consensus seems to be that there is a cutoff regardless of whether or not a school says so. Anything below a combined score of a 1000 could have a seriously negative impact on your application. Now, if a program says that there is "no set GRE score requirement" does that mean you still have a chance at being accepted with a 900? I don't know, I imagine that depends on the type and competitiveness of the program.

dlb89, your Verbal score isn't bad, I ended up with 570. I really can't say how much the quant section matters for Anthropology but I would venture to say that you'd really benefit from trying to reach 500. I don't know what the new GRE looks like, but I for the old one, I hated every second of studying for the quant section, I felt like I had to relearn 4 years of high school math in a matter of months and it seemed like I had a better handle on it while I was studying, but I ended up at 550. So that put me at 1120 combined. That is not a stellar score by any means, but I figured it was OK enough to not be a deal breaker. My score is a good 100 points below my dream school's average, but I got in off of the waitlist. I don't think my GRE score got me waitlisted. You might want to email the admissions offices at the schools your looking at asking if they have a cutoff or if you haven't done so already look at the average scores for accepted applicants to give yourself an idea of how much you should improve your score. Your other stats are great though, so I would just concentrate on getting that Q score up a bit more...I know it's a pain, but it's part of the process.

dimanche, being that you're going for an English program you really want to get your Verbal score up, really anything below a 500 in either section is a bit of a red flag for any program, unless it specifically disregards a section due to irrelevance. I mean the verbal score for a computer science program really doesn't carry much weight. Maybe to make it less daunting you should focus on one area of the verbal section that gave you the most trouble. I hated the reading comprehension exercises so I kind of petered out on those, but I really focused on learning vocabulary, the analogies, and sentence completions. Being that this is your area of study and you did so much better on practice tests, the 440 could have been just a fluke...I don't think you have anything to lose by retaking it. Think of it this way, you'll know what to expect the 2nd time and that takes a lot of pressure out of the equation. I had to retake it also to get the score I mentioned above, the first time I was terrified and it resulted in a score much like those in this thread, but the second time I went in with a different attitude, I knew I studied enough, I knew I was better than that dreadful score and I wasn't going to let this ridiculous test get in my way. So with that I did well enough to make it into my dream school.

Well said Safferz!

Edited by Mal83

My main issue with the GRE was the geometry. I had never grasped it well in 9th grade, so revisiting it so many years later on a test was beyond difficult. I missed all 5 geometry questions on the test.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the applicability of geometry to graduate school studies (for most students).

Unfortunately, it may be a reality that sub-1000 composite scores can weigh heavily on your application. For some of those students, it means that a morning/afternoon wipes away years and years of accomplishment and scholarship, but that's how the system operates now.

I could use a good pick me up, too. I am a HORRIBLE test taker and scored 440V and 500Q. I studied for months. Did incredibly well on the practice tests and scored consistently in the high 600s/low 700s. But, test day came and I overthought EVERYTHING.

I can't help but have nightmares about how this is going to affect me. I thought about doing a retake, but considering I've never tested well, I will only be hurting myself by retaking and getting another embarrassingly low score.

I know exactly what you mean in terms of over-thinking. I too was scoring fairly high on the practice exams (700 range) but, come examination time, freaked out and went into instinctual mode which, apparently, does not allow me to adequately comprehend the nuances of the English language.

I know the thought of re-taking the exam seems both masochistic and daunting, but you have nothing to lose by rewriting it. I will admit I felt slightly less nervous the second time around (in other words, I didn't end up vomiting 5+ times before, as was the case with round number one). Have you also thought about taking a prep class? I know they tend to be expensive, but it might be a good investment. I might rewrite the GRE (shoot me now) in October, taking a prep class before to try to quell my nerves.

My main issue with the GRE was the geometry. I had never grasped it well in 9th grade, so revisiting it so many years later on a test was beyond difficult. I missed all 5 geometry questions on the test.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the applicability of geometry to graduate school studies (for most students).

Unfortunately, it may be a reality that sub-1000 composite scores can weigh heavily on your application. For some of those students, it means that a morning/afternoon wipes away years and years of accomplishment and scholarship, but that's how the system operates now.

Hahah, if it makes you feel any better, the extent of my geometry knowledge (or lack thereof) resulted in me placing my fingers on the computer at the testing centre and physically measuring the distance between A and C, or A and B, or whatever. Because, you know, at least trying to measure it is better than nothing at all? :| Pretty sure the man overseeing the test takers was shaking his head, heavy with chagrin on my behalf. *sigh* should have paid attention in math class.

Oh the GRE...all over this forum and any website dealing with grad school admissions for here in the US you'll see all kinds of theories about how the scores are weighted, what other accomplishments will offset a bad score, and basically the subjectivity of it all...I've seen people actually call their 1200-1300 scores "mediocre," that's right, mediocre...but it all depends on so many factors. However, the general consensus seems to be that there is a cutoff regardless of whether or not a school says so. Anything below a combined score of a 1000 could have a seriously negative impact on your application. Now, if a program says that there is "no set GRE score requirement" does that mean you still have a chance at being accepted with a 900? I don't know, I imagine that depends on the type and competitiveness of the program.

dlb89, your Verbal score isn't bad, I ended up with 570. I really can't say how much the quant section matters for Anthropology but I would venture to say that you'd really benefit from trying to reach 500. I don't know what the new GRE looks like, but I for the old one, I hated every second of studying for the quant section, I felt like I had to relearn 4 years of high school math in a matter of months and it seemed like I had a better handle on it while I was studying, but I ended up at 550. So that put me at 1120 combined. That is not a stellar score by any means, but I figured it was OK enough to not be a deal breaker. My score is a good 100 points below my dream school's average, but I got in off of the waitlist. I don't think my GRE score got me waitlisted. You might want to email the admissions offices at the schools your looking at asking if they have a cutoff or if you haven't done so already look at the average scores for accepted applicants to give yourself an idea of how much you should improve your score. Your other stats are great though, so I would just concentrate on getting that Q score up a bit more...I know it's a pain, but it's part of the process.

dimanche, being that you're going for an English program you really want to get your Verbal score up, really anything below a 500 in either section is a bit of a red flag for any program, unless it specifically disregards a section due to irrelevance. I mean the verbal score for a computer science program really doesn't carry much weight. Maybe to make it less daunting you should focus on one area of the verbal section that gave you the most trouble. I hated the reading comprehension exercises so I kind of petered out on those, but I really focused on learning vocabulary, the analogies, and sentence completions. Being that this is your area of study and you did so much better on practice tests, the 440 could have been just a fluke...I don't think you have anything to lose by retaking it. Think of it this way, you'll know what to expect the 2nd time and that takes a lot of pressure out of the equation. I had to retake it also to get the score I mentioned above, the first time I was terrified and it resulted in a score much like those in this thread, but the second time I went in with a different attitude, I knew I studied enough, I knew I was better than that dreadful score and I wasn't going to let this ridiculous test get in my way. So with that I did well enough to make it into my dream school.

Well said Safferz!

Mal83,

Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough response. First off, I'm happy to hear you got into your dream school! That must have been a remarkable feeling.

As for minimum/required scores for my prospective programs: none of the schools have explicit minimums per se, but many did note that "successful applicants usually have a score in the range of 600-800 in each section," some also adding that any sub-600 scores were viewed with a suspicious eye by adcomm members.

You're right about needing to beef up my quant scores. *sigh* I think I might just have to bite the proverbial bullet and write this damn test again.

The most common cutoffs I've seen are the 1000/1100/1200 cutoffs from various schools- but I'd say a score lower than 500 in either are will probably hurt your application.

GRE scores (imo) aren't weighted that heavily, but they are definitely used as a cutoff metric.

It's not so much about whether the skills are directly applicable to your graduate program (that's what your transcripts, etc. show) but that you have a general level of background knowledge and retention of basic math and basic language skills. I think it's the idea that whether applicable to your area or not, pursuing a post-graduate education requires some degree of general knowledge above the general population- and the GRE is a standardized way of working with that.

I suggest trying not to focus on whether or not it's "right" to use the tests cores, and simply accept them as a hoop necessary to jump through in order to gain admission- sadly there are plenty of hoops to jump through at all stages of your academic career, and most you just have to grit your teeth and get through.

*note: I'm a Canadian student and we folk up North are not as fixated with standardized testing as the States seems to be. No offense!

You are obviously not an Alberta student, as we love standardized tests over here.

This is not a comment at anyone in particular, I just don't think the verbal or quantitative section should be discounted because you are not going into a verbal or quantitative field. From sample questions I've seen (I'll admit I have not taken the GRE), the math seems like basic high school math. I think it should be expected that regardless of the field you go into that you should be able to do this. I for one found it ridiculous when I was working retail and the girls would pull out a calculator to count money. For calculations like 7 * $10. I'm going into a highly quantitative field, and I would be embarrassed if I did poorly on the verbal section. Quantitative studies are useless unless you can communicate that information effectively.

You are obviously not an Alberta student, as we love standardized tests over here.

This is not a comment at anyone in particular, I just don't think the verbal or quantitative section should be discounted because you are not going into a verbal or quantitative field. From sample questions I've seen (I'll admit I have not taken the GRE), the math seems like basic high school math. I think it should be expected that regardless of the field you go into that you should be able to do this. I for one found it ridiculous when I was working retail and the girls would pull out a calculator to count money. For calculations like 7 * $10. I'm going into a highly quantitative field, and I would be embarrassed if I did poorly on the verbal section. Quantitative studies are useless unless you can communicate that information effectively.

I understand where you're coming from with this comment. However, I think it's incorrect to say that the verbal portion of the GRE corresponds to communicative ability in academia. The verbal section is highly peculiar in that it requires test takers to derive meaning out of context (which has been remedied by the revised GRE's focus on reading comp and elimination of out-of-context "vocab" testing), which does not fit with how humans actually understand or use the English language. Similarly, the current GRE (can't say the same for the revised format as I've yet to have the pleasure of writing it) is laden with very particular, Eurocentric assumptions about the relationships between words (i.e. the analogies section) - relationships that are not necessarily inherent to the English language, but to a particular style of thinking that disciplines like anthropology seek to destabilize. So I don't think it's fair to say that performing poorly on these sections necessarily means that you are deficient in using the English language/communicating information or whatever.

Plus, some people (myself obviously included) are just plain shitty standardized test takers.

I don't think the GRE is a measure of our ability to thrive in graduate studies, but I do think it is a measure as to how well you can write this particular exam.

My impression -- based on my experiences applying for PhD programs in the States, and the advice profs at my target schools gave me when I emailed them about my interest in their research -- is that American schools use the GRE scores quite extensively. Not sure if that's especially the case for non-American students or across the board. One prof (from USC) told me to focus almost all my efforts on the GRE. I was quite disappointed when he said that. I am convinced (though I have no evidence to back it up) that the GRE is often used as an excuse not to admit students that the department does not want to admit to begin with -- especially foreign students. Anyhow, I'm glad the GRE scores are valid for 5 years. I've done it only once, in my last year of undergrad, when I was applying for MA programs. When applying for PhD programs, I did not re-write the test. My philosophy was that any university that rejected me for low GRE scores was not worth doing my PhD at. My scores were 550 V , 710 Q, and 5 written component. The PhD program I applied for was Political Science. Anyhow, I got accepted at a Canadian university that did not even require GRE scores.

I think the GRE is rather useless for humanities and social sciences, except maybe for the written component.