The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

Hi Fall2015. I am a current student at SAIS and I wanted to give you some background on how they handle the admissions process since I just went through it earlier this year.

Quick question first - Are you an international student? (I ask because I see that you have a lot of foreign experience and grew up in developing countries. Although you might just be an American who moved around a lot...) If you are an international student, GRE scores are not required (although highly encouraged) for non-U.S. applicants if they apply directly through the SAIS Europe campus. Scores are required, however, if you apply through the DC campus or are a U.S. citizen. (I'm not a U.S.-citizen and when I asked about this, Admissions told me that standardized testing doesn't paint them a complete picture of a student -- and even more so in the case of international students who have no experience with these types of tests. For this reason, they require doing personal interviews of international students who apply to SAIS Bologna instead).

In the case that you are a U.S. citizen, or you only wish to apply to the DC campus, here are somethings to think about:

While your scores do fall a little under the typical SAIS average, I have to admit that my GRE scores were not amazing either and I got into every school to which I applied (SIPA, MSFS, SAIS). I did have a really high GPA, but I feel that we tend to put too much emphasis on the GRE and fail to realize that our personal narratives, work experience, and letters of rec probably matter more than our standardized scores (obviously, if you can retake the GREs and boost your scores it can make you more competitive). Your background and experience definitely fit in with the SAIS profile and I think that if you work really hard and produce an amazing SoP to go along with very strong letters of rec, you shouldn't have any problem with admissions. 

As for the lack of quant experience - there are a lot of people at SAIS who don't have much of a background in quant either (this wasn't the case for me because I studied econ during undergrad). In any case, SAIS is known for GIVING you the quant background, not necessarily demanding it of you upon arrival. To help people catch up, they offer pre-term, math review classes, pre-calc and calculus modules, etc. All of these things are extremely helpful, even for those who have a quant background but haven't worked heavily with numbers since graduation (like me, haha). Those who have also have the option to place out of all these classes.

And don't worry about not coming in from an Ivy League or a "not-so-prestigious" university... I didn't either, like I mentioned before, I got into every school to which I applied.

Hope this helps and best of luck on your applications!

Thank you so much, Isaiki87, for your feedback. Very helpful to hear from a current SAIS student. 

I am an international student seeking an MA degree with Nanjing University. Then, to clarify:

1) I went to a university in the US, does that exempt me from taking TOEFL?

2) if I am not taking TOEFL, shouldn't I submit GRE?

3) also, how about scholarships/fellowships? is this tied with your GRE score?

would you mind if I message you to ask a few questions re. your admissions package for the other schools and why you decided to choose SAIS in the end? many thanks. 

Thank you so much, Isaiki87, for your feedback. Very helpful to hear from a current SAIS student. 

I am an international student seeking an MA degree with Nanjing University. Then, to clarify:

1) I went to a university in the US, does that exempt me from taking TOEFL?

2) if I am not taking TOEFL, shouldn't I submit GRE?

3) also, how about scholarships/fellowships? is this tied with your GRE score?

would you mind if I message you to ask a few questions re. your admissions package for the other schools and why you decided to choose SAIS in the end? many thanks. 

No problem, Fall2015! I wouldn't mind at all if you messaged me. I would be glad to share my experience with SAIS with you and give you more details about the admissions packages that I received from other schools as well as SAIS. I could also try to put you in contact with other students who are in Nanjing.

Here are the quick answers to the questions you had:

1) If you graduated from a US university then you are exempt from having to take the TOEFL. This was my case too, thankfully.

2) It is always better to submit your GRE scores if you've taken the exam. I did and I think it actually strengthened my application. Nevertheless, there are some international students who were admitted that did not submit GRE scores (this is typically the case with European students). I think it's really on a case-by-case basis, but if you have taken the exam I would definitely submit your scores.

3) At SAIS, scholarships and fellowships can be tied to GRE scores. This is typically the case when there are two people of equal merit who show the same financial need and have similar backgrounds. If one candidate has solid GRE scores and the other doesn't, they're more likely to receive funding than the other person.

Like I mentioned before, I would be more than happy to share all the details regarding the admission packages that I got offered from the three universities if you message me directly.

Best of luck! 

There is no information in HKS application about the following:

- Font, line spacing, margins for essays

- Any word limit/font/spacing information about rec letter length. All it says is 1 page which can be anywhere between 1-3 pages depending on how one chooses font, spacing, margins

- Rec repeats the question about interaction with the applicant in the rec form and then again in the 1-page rec letter. So the rec length is even more debatable.

Any applicants or successful candidates have ideas?

There is no information in HKS application about the following:

- Font, line spacing, margins for essays

- Any word limit/font/spacing information about rec letter length. All it says is 1 page which can be anywhere between 1-3 pages depending on how one chooses font, spacing, margins

- Rec repeats the question about interaction with the applicant in the rec form and then again in the 1-page rec letter. So the rec length is even more debatable.

Any applicants or successful candidates have ideas?

Whenever font and size are not specified, go with standard margins, 12 pt. Times New Roman, double spaced. That is THE standard. You can't go wrong with that. 

Programs:

Kennedy (MPP), Fletcher (MALD), SAIS (MA), Georgetown (SFS), Berkeley Goldman (MPP), SIPA (MIA or MPA) -- in order of choice

GPA:

3.5 from a less known small private college

GRE score:

155 (v), 156 (q), 4 (awl) 

Work experience:

3 years of work experience

experience abroad: .5 year UN internship in China

consulting experience: 1 yr

World Bank: 2 yrs

Language skills:

Chinese English Japanese

Quantitative requirements:

Very minimal.  Statistis.  Professional experience did not involve much quant work 

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching):

Grew up in developing countries 

Work experience/summer course abroad

Statement of Purpose & LoR:

working on this

Area of Concern:

GRE!!! Is this acceptable?

Lack of quant experience 

I do think I have a good story to present for the SoP which aligns with my upbringing and professional experience.  Is it still difficult to overlook the low GRE score, lack of quant experience, and coming from a not-so-prestigious under grad institution? 

Thank you for your feedback in advance! 

Your GRE is below average for the schools you're applying to. If you had 4-5 years of amazing work experience and a 4.0 GPA from MIT or something, then it might make you competitive, but I would say it's a long shot for most of those schools, and I wouldn't count on any funding either. I would try to boost your scores some (a little studying goes a long way). Don't sweat the quant thing--if you want, take a math or econ class at a community college or something. The biggest concern in your post, however, is that you don't think you have a good story for SoP. Why is that? Are you having trouble expressing yourself, or do you not know why you want to do this? If you can't explain why you want a degree, how it ties into your past experience and future career plans, then grad school isn't for you right now.

Schools: Cambridge (MPhil Medieval/Early Modern Studies), Oxford (Either Medieval or Early Modern), St. Andrews (Medieval or Early Modern), Yale MA in English, Columbia MA in English.... maybe also Dartmouth, UChicago, UPenn? I really need more recommendations for American schools! :D

Undergraduate institution: Colby College

Major: English  (Concentration in Creative Writing: so extra classes for creative writing on top of regular lit requirements)

Minor: Theater and Dance

GPA: 3.63 for both general and major. Graduated with honors and distinction in the major

GRE: haven't taken it yet =[ Next month I guess.

Years out of undergrad: On my second.

Work experience: Few teaching related posts, not full teacher positions. Just started job as a high school sub.

HOWEVER I produced a short play I wrote in an Off-Broadway competition in NYC and was a Finalist for Best Play. Also one other NYC performance and a staged reading. (Could count this as an extracurricular or actually just working for myself.)

Worked as a research assistant for three years during undergrad.

Language skills: French (basic), Latin (low basic, need brushing up), Old English (moderate)

Coursework: Dante, Fairy Tales, Arthurian Lit, Two Old English classes, LOTS of creative writing, both poetry and fiction, Theater theory classes, Theater Design...

LOR: Three potential candidates: One not so famous prof, but only medieval teacher at Colby, likes me a lot and did independent study with him.

Chair of Theater and Dance Department - worked as a research assistant for him (he was also my boss because I got PAID!). Worked as an Associate Designer with him on a project. He really likes me, he basically recruited me for the theater program. Also took classes with him.

Jenny Boylan, who is a NYT Bestselling Author, has been on Oprah, and is now co-chair of GLAADs board of director's.... so she's pretty famous. I took like 5 classes with her. However, I'm not applying for MFA programs and I've only done creative work for her, so not sure if I should include her or not if I only need two?

Concerns:

I really need recommendations for more programs!! Also, who should I nominate for my references? The UK schools only want two.

Also, is my GPA going to hurt me? Looking at my transcript its pretty clear I'm getting high grades almost all the time. Got one B in critical theory with the hardest prof in the department, but usually pretty solid!!

I think you're in the wrong forum--this is for MPP/MPA/MIA degrees and the like. Your lit programs sounds pretty interesting, however, so good luck and all that.

On 10/21/2014 at 5:59 AM, cs_nits said:

Reposting:

Hello Everyone,

Really need some help? A little bit about the background first because that is making my choice a little complex. I completed my engineering in the year 2006 from quite a decent college in India. Worked two and a half years in the software industry (in a reputed out sourcing firm) though always wanted to move towards the development sector. So, took a call and have been working in the development sector in rural India for the past 5.5 years (and plan to continue till I move out for higher studies)

Target Schools:  Elliot School of International Affairs, Boston University: Global Development Policy, Cornell University Graduate School, The Earth Institute Columbia University: MS in Sustainable Management, Sanford-Duke Center for International Development, UC Berkeley 's Master of Development Practice, Princeton: Widrow Wilson School, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy

Career Goals: Working with the government to shape more inclusive policies for the rural poor.

Undergraduate Institution: National Institute of Technology (NIT)

GPA: Cumulative Performance Index (CPI) of 6.82 out of 10. It is a first class in India but is an average score by any standards.  

Majors: Electrical Engineering

GRE Score: 163V, 163Q.  AWA-4.5

TOEFL: 108

Work Experience: 

I work in an organization called PRADAN which works through field teams in rural India, primarily in the Central Indian belt. We work primarily with India’s indigenous people (Adhivasis) and I right now based in one of the field teams. The below have been my areas of work in the last five years:

a. Mobilizing marginalized (and extremely poor rural communities) communities around Self Help Group for saving and credit (micro finance). Working with the community around working of schemes and programs at the decentralized level viz. Gram Sabhas (village governance), NREGA (rural employment guarantee act), PDS (Public Distribution System: subsidized ration and all) etc

b. Sustainable agriculture in poverty pockets. We are currently working with more than 4000 families in 150 villages in one of the most interior pockets in India on scientific agricultural practices. I have been quite active in reviving indigenous paddy seeds in the area along with promoting organic farming through System of Root Intensification (SRI) method with the communities.

c. Watershed approach to irrigation infrastructure in poverty pockets. I have done the Integrated Natural Resource (INRM) planning in several villages with the community along with its implementation.

d. I am also the anchor of the Gender Equality Project under UN Women of my team. (Eight of the fifty PRADAN field level teams are currently involved in the project)  

I have worked extensively in the Meo Muslim Community in Alwar, Rajasthan on social mobilization through SHGs and livelihood enhancement through watershed programme. Currently I am working with the Adhivasi Gond tribes and PVTG Baiga on aspects of social mobilization through SHG, governance, gender, water shed management and sustainable agriculture in one of the poorest pockets in the country.

I have also written a couple of articles on tribes and sustainable farming.

Language Skills: English, Hindi, Assamese, Nepali, Working Bengali

Statement of Purpose: WIP

Letters of Recommendation:  One academic recommendation. Good LORs from workplace.

Concern: My below average CPI or GPA and my engineering background. Will my experience of working in the field with communities offset the GPA factor?  Scholarships?

In my opinion, you're pretty competitive at a lot of those schools, and it seems like you know what you're looking for. The average GPA won't hurt you that much. Work experience will definitely help compensate for that, and your GREs show that you're smart enough for the work. Princeton is a long shot for everyone, but I think you're definitely competitive for all the other ones.

On 10/21/2014 at 4:14 AM, CafeB said:

Reposting with GRE scores (just took it today). Feedback appreciated. 

Schools: HKS MPP, WWS MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown MSFS, Korbel MA IS, Duke Sanford MPP, Maxwell MAIR/MPA, Michigan Ford MPP, Fletcher 

Career goals: Work in political risk analysis and intelligence after grad school and work as a foreign policy advisor in my home country, eventually. 

Institution: Top 5 Universities in Bangladesh

Major: Eng Lit (but lots of econ courses as I wanted to do a dual major)

GPA: 3.2 cumulative (worked full-time during university and most semesters are 3.5-4 but a few 2.75-3.0)

GRE score: 148 Quant 162 Verbal

Work experience: Total 13 years. 2 years part-time when finishing high-school teaching English and History, 4 years of university working in advertising and marketing. 2 years after finishing university in CSR consulting and PR  handling MNCs as clients. Last 6 years in international development working for INGO. Would have lived abroad for almost 5 years by the time I start school, with 7 years of international work related to public communications, mobilization and policy advocacy. I used to write a lot of op-eds, so have been published nationally and internationally, with the BBC quoting one of my articles last year.

Coursework: Took intro and intermediate courses in micro and macro econ and applied maths in uni. Grades between A to B-. 

Language skills: English (non-native speaker but only language I've ever studied in), Bengali, Hindi, Urdu, basic Thai

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): 7 years in international development by next fall. Have worked with Asian and African countries on social campaigning. Last 4 years living and working in S.E Asia (I'm Bangladeshi), covering Australia, Asia and Middle-East. 

Statement of Purpose: Working on it. 

Extra Essays: Such a long list! Struggling to keep track.

Letters of Recommendation: Two professors (one of them is a lecturer because he never finished his Phd. will use one or the other), one ex-boss (number 2 at INGO) and current boss. Work recommendations should be great (as expected for someone who prioritized work over studies, always). 

Concerns: GPA is quite awful really. Haven't done any applied math in over 10 years. GRE quant score is pretty low at 148. Schools assured me that they take a holistic approach to admission and funding decision, but this is a major area of concern for me, especially for WWS, Harris, Duke and HKS where they seem to really need you to have good quant.

With an average GPA and a--I'll be brutally honest here--terrible GRE quant score, I'd bet a lot of money you're not going to get into HKS, WWS, and probably any of the other ones. If you do get in, funding (or lack thereof) may be an issue--can you afford $50,000+ per year for these programs? If you can retake the GRE, I would do that ASAP. You have good work experience, which works to balance out some of the negative aspects, but there are a lot of negative aspects based on what you said.

Also, for LoRs, no one cares about the titles the writers have, whether they're "Professor" or "Associate Professor." What matters is that they actually know you and can speak to your strengths accurately. In fact, in many cases having a "prestigious" writer for your LoRs can hurt you, because it's obvious it's a form letter they use for everyone they recommend.

Your GRE is below average for the schools you're applying to. If you had 4-5 years of amazing work experience and a 4.0 GPA from MIT or something, then it might make you competitive, but I would say it's a long shot for most of those schools, and I wouldn't count on any funding either. I would try to boost your scores some (a little studying goes a long way). Don't sweat the quant thing--if you want, take a math or econ class at a community college or something. The biggest concern in your post, however, is that you don't think you have a good story for SoP. Why is that? Are you having trouble expressing yourself, or do you not know why you want to do this? If you can't explain why you want a degree, how it ties into your past experience and future career plans, then grad school isn't for you right now.

I think you're in the wrong forum--this is for MPP/MPA/MIA degrees and the like. Your lit programs sounds pretty interesting, however, so good luck and all that.

Oh whoops, you're right! Got here by mistaken then. Thanks!!

This is a repost because I just took the GRE yesterday and got some real scores to work with:

Schools: All MPP/MPA: USC Price, UW Evans, UChicago Harris, UT LBJ, CMU Heinz, Duke Sanford, GWU Trachtenberg, and considering either Cornell CIPA or one additional school TBD

Career goals: Build on my experience in the energy sector to work at an NGO to promote the use of clean and/or renewable energy

Institution: Large state school

Major: Political Science

GPA: 3.3 - 3.4 cumulative (depending on how it's calculated)

GRE score: 154 Quant 162 Verbal

Work experience: ~1 year as a Legislative Aide in the state legislature. 3.5 years in the energy policy office of a very large, diverse state. I've managed energy grants, written rules for and administered a very large energy program, and am currently a policy analyst. I'm also currently halfway through an 8 month Natural Resources Leadership Institute course that is put on by a somewhat prestigious state university.

Quant. Coursework: Micro ( A ) Macro ( A ) Statistics ( B )

Statement of Purpose: Work in progress, but I think it will be clear, demonstrate a good fit, and overall be effective.

Letters of Recommendation: One former professor and two bosses at my office (Director of the office and my direct supervisor)

Concerns: My measurables (GPA/GRE) aren't stellar, but I'm hoping my work experience serves me well. I know Duke and UChicago are reaches, but I hope I'll get in one of the two and maybe get a funding offer from one of the lower tier schools. Chances of that?

Edited by MJA87

This is a repost because I just took the GRE yesterday and got some real scores to work with:

Schools: All MPP/MPA: USC Price, UW Evans, UChicago Harris, UT LBJ, CMU Heinz, Duke Sanford, GWU Trachtenberg, and considering either Cornell CIPA or one additional school TBD

Career goals: Build on my experience in the energy sector to work at an NGO to promote the use of clean and/or renewable energy

Institution: Large state school

Major: Political Science

GPA: 3.3 - 3.4 cumulative (depending on how it's calculated)

GRE score: 154 Quant 162 Verbal

Work experience: ~1 year as a Legislative Aide in the state legislature. 3.5 years in the energy policy office of a very large, diverse state. I've managed energy grants, written rules for and administered a very large energy program, and am currently a policy analyst. I'm also currently halfway through an 8 month Natural Resources Leadership Institute course that is put on by a somewhat prestigious state university.

Quant. Coursework: Micro ( A ) Macro ( A ) Statistics ( B )

Statement of Purpose: Work in progress, but I think it will be clear, demonstrate a good fit, and overall be effective.

Letters of Recommendation: One former professor and two bosses at my office (Director of the office and my direct supervisor)

Concerns: My measurables (GPA/GRE) aren't stellar, but I'm hoping my work experience serves me well. I know Duke and UChicago are reaches, but I hope I'll get in one of the two and maybe get a funding offer from one of the lower tier schools. Chances of that?

I do think your stats look pretty well, though you're right, the GRE scores could be even better. I would look into Yale's programs, because a friend with a similar background just started at Yale. She is doing carbon markets, and just absolutely loves her program so far. I can't say anything about how you compare stats-wise, but it's probably worth considering if you want to work in energy policy.

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forums and have found excellent advice here so far. I did read the sticky but felt I should still make a post, because I think my profile might be a little unusual for the programs I am interested in. The other question I have is regarding funding. If anyone can give me insight on my chances for institutional funding, that would be very much appreciated.

Ok, I'll try to make this succinct. I am an American citizen who graduated from a top 25 private university in the USA in 2012, and I have just decided over the past two years since graduation that I want to work in international relations in some capacity. My regional interest is the former USSR. I'm considering the State Department path, but am more likely to apply to work for the German Marshall Fund, Open Society, USAID, UNDP...most likely in the South Caucasus or Black Sea region if possible. 

Here's my info. Any feedback would be so, so much appreciated, as I am extremely nervous about this process; I do not personally know anyone who has gone through it before.

I've already applied to the following for Fall 2015 admission, in no particular order (I would be happy with any of these programs, but somehow I am leaning towards SAIS-Europe).

1. Johns Hopkins SAIS (Bologna and DC campuses, IDEV/Russian area studies)

2. Georgetown SFS (concentration in Russian area studies)

3. GWU Elliott School (Russian area studies)

4. Columbia SIPA - MIA

5. Tufts Fletcher - MALD

My stats:

B.A. History, GPA 3.75

Minor in Russian Language and Area Studies

Study Abroad - Moscow State University (Directed research and intensive language classes)

President of Russian Club, Executive Board of Armenian Students Association

Research Assistant in Law School and History Department for 6 semesters

GRE: 169 V, 162 Q, 6.0 AW

Work Experience (here is where it gets strange)

3 years research assistant in undergrad

volunteering in legal aid clinic

after undergrad - 1 year as HR recruiter @ fortune 500 company (when I realized I needed to go back to university and do something I actually enjoy...quit to move to the former USSR, Georgia specifically)

In Georgia (the country)

1.5 years working with a nonprofit organization that helps Georgian students apply to undergrad and grad programs in Europe and the USA. I help them write essays and interview for scholarships and fellowships also. I have worked privately for the children of major political figures and have a LOR from one, and I have also helped expand our organization in Azerbaijan by traveling there frequently. I've put together similar programs at the presidential library and for another NGO.

LORs:

Georgian politician whose name is known in these programs, whom I worked for

Professor of History from my university

My boss at the Georgian organization I mentioned

Now my weaknesses: I am not bad at math, but I never took Econ of any form as a History major. My problem was that I had no idea what I wanted to do until recently - I had a good understanding of my talents and interests, but didn't know how to parlay them into a profession until I came to Georgia and interacted with people working in politics and NGOs. Do I still have a chance? I know econ is required for some of these programs and would take a summer course before enrolling if I'm admitted. 

Another weakness might be the fact that I don't work for a recognizable organization? It is legitimate here, but no one in America would know the name probably. Also, one of my recommenders is quite controversial ( you might be able to guess who he is if you share my interest in this region). I am sure his recommendation is good, but not sure what the programs might think of him personally, or if that even matters??? 

Again, I know no one can predict my exact chances, but I want honest feedback if possible..... Do you think an offer of admission with at least partial funding is a good possibility for me?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Edited by MsFutureDiplomat

I do think your stats look pretty well, though you're right, the GRE scores could be even better. I would look into Yale's programs, because a friend with a similar background just started at Yale. She is doing carbon markets, and just absolutely loves her program so far. I can't say anything about how you compare stats-wise, but it's probably worth considering if you want to work in energy policy.

Do you think I'm being unrealistic with the schools I listed? I REALLY want to go to GSPP, but I'm not applying because I think it would just be a waste of the application fee.

Hi Everyone,

I am very apprehensive regarding my competitiveness, the funding and the program that best suits my requirements/objective.

I would really appreciate if you people can help me out.

Introduction/Profile,

I have graduated from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)  in 2010 . IITs are considered to be the best engineering institute in India.

I have 4 years of work experience  in 3 different organizations 1st with a renewable energy consulting firm (14 months) the with an leading Insurance company (1 year)  the 3rd one is my current employer which i a political consulting firm dealing with political leaders to strategies their campaign. Here I got a good exposure to manage field surveys and public interaction from various sections of society and  in all the three organizations I have an extensive exposure of data analysis and MS excel tools.

GRE score VA-155, QA-168, AW-3.0

CGPA 6.35/10 (didn't get a reliable scale to convert it from Indian CGPA out of 10 t US GPA)

I feel that my strengths are- IIT degree (a globally recognized brand), Good GRE 323, and  work ex. (3 different kind of roles and the last one in political consulting firms gives a relevant policy exposure..please correct me at this point if I assume something wrong...??)

I feel tat my weaknesses are- a pathetic AW in GRE 3.0, a below average GPA

My queries?

1. My ultimate objective to earn an MPP is influencing policy design and implementation scenario in India for major public welfare schemes.

Now a very frank question- is MPP a suitable match for moving towards my goal, or there are other better suited degrees?

2. Now keeping in mind all my strengths and weaknesses, and also my strong willingness to get a debt free MPP degree, Please suggest the best possible schools in US or anywhere in the globe...provided they have good reputation, good funding and serves my purpose

3. this query is basically a sub-part of query no. 2, as i already mentioned my aim ultimately entails me to come back to India ultimately, so what should be a right path- to stay in US and try to work with some recognized bodies like UN,WB, IMF and then return to India or there is some better choice I may have?

4. I can get LoR from some really influential people like Member of Parliament (MPs), Member of state Legislative Assembly (MLAs)  but I have heard  that it is better to get a LoR from someone who have worked with more closely and for a long duration while I have not worked with any of  these people for more than 6 months. Also my terms with my former employer and ex employer are very good and I can expect a good LoR from them but obviously their stature is not like the MPs or MPs. SO what is suggested in such a case?

I know that my queries are very comprehensive and demand a lot of efforts and great deal of time for some one w to answer completely but I would be really grateful if someone can do that for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers.

PS- I would be glad to provide my personal email if someone want to have discussion in greater lengths, please do let me know in such a case.

Hi guys, 

So I want to get a general idea of where I stand and what my chances are for applying to these programs because I have some concerns. Born in Latin America but living in the states for almost 10 years. 

APPLYING FOR FALL '15: 

Schools: HKS MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown MSFS, George Washington IA, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Boston University - IA, Columbia MIA  

Career goals: U.S. Foreign Service 

Institution: Midwest Big-10 school, ranked in top 50. 

Major: Dual major in Political Science and Communication 

GPA: 3.7 

GRE score: 149 Verbal 140 Quant (bad quant, I know) 

Work experience: Over 4 years part time experience. Worked part time all through Undergrad in relevant fields (international education and academic affairs), teaching a class, worked internationally during study abroad, two substantial full-time internships over the summer in State Government (Health & Human Services) and with U.S. Department of State. One internship during undergrad regarding Arms Control Research 

Coursework: Statistics, Micro Econ and Macro Econ, also taking poli sci class using statistical models 

Language skills: (Native) Spanish, (Fluent) English, (Intermediate) French, (Intermediate) Portuguese 

OTHER: Lots of involvement and leadership on campus. President of 2 organizations, Executive board of 2 other orgs, substantial community service  

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): 8 years living in a developing country in Latin America while I was young, 6 months study abroad in Western Europe, extensive travel throughout Europe 

Statement of Purpose: Really strong, my background and experiences are what make me stand out the most. 

Extra Essays: Two for HKS and Columbia. Basically explaining why despite my lack of full-time experience and low GRE scores they should accept me  

Letters of Recommendation: STRONG. Two professors in my Poli Sci field who have mentored me throughout undergrad and one from State Dept. internship to show work experience 

Concerns: GRE!!!! So bad. I studied hard too. Standardized testing is not my strong suit, though my classes in Econ/Stats have all had grades of B and As. Also, concerned with the fact that I will be fresh from undergrad (graduating May 2015) and have no "full time" experience. I know its a "holistic approach" but I want to know my chances. 

Edited by crisisdiplomacy

Hi everyone, I am just seeing what everyone thinks my chances are though I have a decent idea myself.

APPLYING FOR FALL '15: 

Schools: (Mcourt), (Price), (TSPPA), George Mason, (Luskin), a few others on the lower end as well.    

Career goals: Low income Housing and Veteran policy analyst

Institution: Pac 12 school

Major: Dual major in Sociology and Psychology 

GPA: 3.79 

GRE score: 156 Verbal 154 Quant ( I know low quant) 

Work experience: 1 year with Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare finding those with severe and persistent mental illness housing. Work on developing skills for those with severe and persistent mental illness. 1 year AmeriCoprs VISTA with The Opportunity Council in Bellingham WA. (Statement of Purpose for more info) 

Coursework: 3 statistics, 3 in methedology 

Language skills: (only english)

OTHER: Lots of involvement and leadership on campus. Officer of University's chapter of The International Psychology Honor Society (Psi Chi). Officer of University's Sociology club.

Statement of Purpose:  Explains working with a non profit in Washington as an AmeriCorps VISTA to help foster a partnership between them and a for profit developer for low income housing. The partnership currently has 12 sites with plans to expand to 18 sites creating over 800 new units. The VISTA position also included asset mapping of other non profit services and working with other non profits to provide services to low income families at the developed housing properties.

Letters of Recommendation: I have one from a professor which is from a school I am applying to. I also have the CFO of the non profit I worked for as well as the supervisor for my VISTA service. 

Concerns: Quant in my GRE will be a huge hurdle I know that much. Me and standardized tests do not get along. Another roadblock will be since I went for a BS I do not have a language background but have a more statistical background, so that is a double edged sword. Also no micro economic background though I have set up a class for that during the winter.

Edited by Nortonti

Do you think I'm being unrealistic with the schools I listed? I REALLY want to go to GSPP, but I'm not applying because I think it would just be a waste of the application fee.

I don't think you're being unrealistic with the schools you listed... especially if you do a really good job of selling your prior academic experience in econ and stats, work experience, and then your SOP. I didn't get into GSPP though my GRE scores were higher than yours, but I really think that was my lack of prior quantitative coursework. It's totally up to you, but I would really go for it!! If there's any chance to take your GRE again, I would also do that and study the @%^&* out of that quant. =)

This is for a Masters in Urban Planning. I noticed a few people on this forum posted with the same objective. I'm wondering what programs are realistic to be accepted to. I am contacting admissions offices and they are encouraging me to apply. I would like a little more advice, maybe from someone who has been accepted with a similar GPA ect. 

Schools: Rutgers, NYU, Tufts, Hunter, UC Irvine , UIC, U.B.C., University of Delaware(Urban Affairs),Wayne State, University of Savannah, UCLA, San Diego State

Career goals: GIS, Policy to redirect funds out of incarceration in neighborhood programs

Institution: UC Berkeley (Transfer Student)

Major: Sociology 

GPA: 3.4(ish, I need to recalculate this) cumulative, 3.29 last two years, Dean's list and Cum Laude first two years at junior college

GRE score: On the low side, but will be retaking the test 

Work experience: I started my undergrad at 24. During college and before I worked as a server, and a handful of other jobs in other states. During college and after I've worked and volunteered for a number of nonprofits, mainly working with prisoners. I spent one year with AmeriCorps.

Coursework: Statistics- A, No Econ, I am currently doing a certificate program in GIS, Two undergraduate courses in City Planning. I received an A- in one and  B in the other.

Language skills: English, ASL (remedial) 

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): Only travel, 8 plus countries 

Statement of Purpose: Working on it. Should I include being a first generation college student ect.? Or keep it simply to work experience and goals?

Extra Essays:

Letters of Recommendation: Professor from junior college who has continued to mentor me, GSI from Berkeley, and Administrator at a prison where I volunteered. 

Concerns: GPA, GRE

Hi Everyone,

I am very apprehensive regarding my competitiveness, the funding and the program that best suits my requirements/objective.

I would really appreciate if you people can help me out.

Introduction/Profile,

I have graduated from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology)  in 2010 . IITs are considered to be the best engineering institute in India.

I have 4 years of work experience  in 3 different organizations 1st with a renewable energy consulting firm (14 months) the with an leading Insurance company (1 year)  the 3rd one is my current employer which i a political consulting firm dealing with political leaders to strategies their campaign. Here I got a good exposure to manage field surveys and public interaction from various sections of society and  in all the three organizations I have an extensive exposure of data analysis and MS excel tools.

GRE score VA-155, QA-168, AW-3.0

CGPA 6.35/10 (didn't get a reliable scale to convert it from Indian CGPA out of 10 t US GPA)

I feel that my strengths are- IIT degree (a globally recognized brand), Good GRE 323, and  work ex. (3 different kind of roles and the last one in political consulting firms gives a relevant policy exposure..please correct me at this point if I assume something wrong...??)

I feel tat my weaknesses are- a pathetic AW in GRE 3.0, a below average GPA

My queries?

1. My ultimate objective to earn an MPP is influencing policy design and implementation scenario in India for major public welfare schemes.

Now a very frank question- is MPP a suitable match for moving towards my goal, or there are other better suited degrees?

2. Now keeping in mind all my strengths and weaknesses, and also my strong willingness to get a debt free MPP degree, Please suggest the best possible schools in US or anywhere in the globe...provided they have good reputation, good funding and serves my purpose

3. this query is basically a sub-part of query no. 2, as i already mentioned my aim ultimately entails me to come back to India ultimately, so what should be a right path- to stay in US and try to work with some recognized bodies like UN,WB, IMF and then return to India or there is some better choice I may have?

4. I can get LoR from some really influential people like Member of Parliament (MPs), Member of state Legislative Assembly (MLAs)  but I have heard  that it is better to get a LoR from someone who have worked with more closely and for a long duration while I have not worked with any of  these people for more than 6 months. Also my terms with my former employer and ex employer are very good and I can expect a good LoR from them but obviously their stature is not like the MPs or MPs. SO what is suggested in such a case?

I know that my queries are very comprehensive and demand a lot of efforts and great deal of time for some one w to answer completely but I would be really grateful if someone can do that for me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers.

PS- I would be glad to provide my personal email if someone want to have discussion in greater lengths, please do let me know in such a case.

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forums and have found excellent advice here so far. I did read the sticky but felt I should still make a post, because I think my profile might be a little unusual for the programs I am interested in. The other question I have is regarding funding. If anyone can give me insight on my chances for institutional funding, that would be very much appreciated.

Ok, I'll try to make this succinct. I am an American citizen who graduated from a top 25 private university in the USA in 2012, and I have just decided over the past two years since graduation that I want to work in international relations in some capacity. My regional interest is the former USSR. I'm considering the State Department path, but am more likely to apply to work for the German Marshall Fund, Open Society, USAID, UNDP...most likely in the South Caucasus or Black Sea region if possible. 

Here's my info. Any feedback would be so, so much appreciated, as I am extremely nervous about this process; I do not personally know anyone who has gone through it before.

I've already applied to the following for Fall 2015 admission, in no particular order (I would be happy with any of these programs, but somehow I am leaning towards SAIS-Europe).

1. Johns Hopkins SAIS (Bologna and DC campuses, IDEV/Russian area studies)

2. Georgetown SFS (concentration in Russian area studies)

3. GWU Elliott School (Russian area studies)

4. Columbia SIPA - MIA

5. Tufts Fletcher - MALD

My stats:

B.A. History, GPA 3.75

Minor in Russian Language and Area Studies

Study Abroad - Moscow State University (Directed research and intensive language classes)

President of Russian Club, Executive Board of Armenian Students Association

Research Assistant in Law School and History Department for 6 semesters

GRE: 169 V, 162 Q, 6.0 AW

Work Experience (here is where it gets strange)

3 years research assistant in undergrad

volunteering in legal aid clinic

after undergrad - 1 year as HR recruiter @ fortune 500 company (when I realized I needed to go back to university and do something I actually enjoy...quit to move to the former USSR, Georgia specifically)

In Georgia (the country)

1.5 years working with a nonprofit organization that helps Georgian students apply to undergrad and grad programs in Europe and the USA. I help them write essays and interview for scholarships and fellowships also. I have worked privately for the children of major political figures and have a LOR from one, and I have also helped expand our organization in Azerbaijan by traveling there frequently. I've put together similar programs at the presidential library and for another NGO.

LORs:

Georgian politician whose name is known in these programs, whom I worked for

Professor of History from my university

My boss at the Georgian organization I mentioned

Now my weaknesses: I am not bad at math, but I never took Econ of any form as a History major. My problem was that I had no idea what I wanted to do until recently - I had a good understanding of my talents and interests, but didn't know how to parlay them into a profession until I came to Georgia and interacted with people working in politics and NGOs. Do I still have a chance? I know econ is required for some of these programs and would take a summer course before enrolling if I'm admitted. 

Another weakness might be the fact that I don't work for a recognizable organization? It is legitimate here, but no one in America would know the name probably. Also, one of my recommenders is quite controversial ( you might be able to guess who he is if you share my interest in this region). I am sure his recommendation is good, but not sure what the programs might think of him personally, or if that even matters??? 

Again, I know no one can predict my exact chances, but I want honest feedback if possible..... Do you think an offer of admission with at least partial funding is a good possibility for me?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!

Hi MsFutureDiplomat,

You actually sound like a really strong candidate for SAIS and particularly SAIS Europe. I'm in Bologna right now and I know quite a few people who have backgrounds that are similar to yours. Many of them have some sort of funding too, so I definitely wouldn't rule out that possibility. You have solid GRE scores and a decent GPA, which is definitely a plus when securing funding (the funding given through SAIS is merit-based, not need-based). Also, your work experience isn't strange at all -- it's indicative of a person who was slowly realizing what field they really wanted to be a part of. I think it's actually a strong point, because it clearly demonstrates how you've evolved both on a professional and personal level. 

As for not having an econ or quant background, that's not unusual. Yes, SAIS can be quant heavy, but they don't necessarily expect you to come into the program with that knowledge. They just do a damn good job of teaching all of it to you. Even before you arrive for your first semester, SAIS offers an online Principles of Economics course for all those who didn't study economics in undergrad or those who want a refresher. They also offer economics classes during pre-term so that you can go into your first semester with a more solid econ base. The vast majority of people take the micro or macro (although you do have the choice of taking Italian if you go to SAIS Europe so you're not completely lost when wandering around Bologna). 

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You really seem like you'd be a great candidate for SAIS, so best of luck!

Hi guys, 

So I want to get a general idea of where I stand and what my chances are for applying to these programs because I have some concerns. Born in Latin America but living in the states for almost 10 years. 

APPLYING FOR FALL '15: 

Schools: HKS MPP, Chicago Harris MPP, Georgetown MSFS, George Washington IA, Johns Hopkins SAIS, Boston University - IA, Columbia MIA  

Career goals: U.S. Foreign Service 

Institution: Midwest Big-10 school, ranked in top 50. 

Major: Dual major in Political Science and Communication 

GPA: 3.7 

GRE score: 149 Verbal 140 Quant (bad quant, I know) 

Work experience: Over 4 years part time experience. Worked part time all through Undergrad in relevant fields (international education and academic affairs), teaching a class, worked internationally during study abroad, two substantial full-time internships over the summer in State Government (Health & Human Services) and with U.S. Department of State. One internship during undergrad regarding Arms Control Research 

Coursework: Statistics, Micro Econ and Macro Econ, also taking poli sci class using statistical models 

Language skills: (Native) Spanish, (Fluent) English, (Intermediate) French, (Intermediate) Portuguese 

OTHER: Lots of involvement and leadership on campus. President of 2 organizations, Executive board of 2 other orgs, substantial community service  

Overseas experience (work, study and teaching): 8 years living in a developing country in Latin America while I was young, 6 months study abroad in Western Europe, extensive travel throughout Europe 

Statement of Purpose: Really strong, my background and experiences are what make me stand out the most. 

Extra Essays: Two for HKS and Columbia. Basically explaining why despite my lack of full-time experience and low GRE scores they should accept me  

Letters of Recommendation: STRONG. Two professors in my Poli Sci field who have mentored me throughout undergrad and one from State Dept. internship to show work experience 

Concerns: GRE!!!! So bad. I studied hard too. Standardized testing is not my strong suit, though my classes in Econ/Stats have all had grades of B and As. Also, concerned with the fact that I will be fresh from undergrad (graduating May 2015) and have no "full time" experience. I know its a "holistic approach" but I want to know my chances. 

Crisisdiplomacy, is there ANY chance that you could retake the GRE before you apply? There's definitely time to take the exam again before submitting your applications, so I would recommend that you take the exam again if you feel like there is a possibility that you could improve your scores (even just a little). Although schools like SAIS try not to put too much emphasis on GRE scores, your scores are really low - for both quant AND verbal. You don't have much work experience to balance out the scores either, which means that they could really hurt your chances of being offered admission to any school. And, even if you do make the case for it in your essay and get accepted, these scores could potentially kill your chances for funding.  

Schools (Tentative): Columbia SIPA, UW Evans, TAMU Bush

Career goals: Become an excellent internal auditor for government

Institution: College of State Accountancy in Indonesia

Major: Associate degree-Budget

Bachelor's degree-Accounting

GPA: Associate degree 2.82

Bachelor's degree 3.09

Years out of undergrad: got my associate degree in 2006 and my bachelor's degree in 2013

GRE score: 155 V, 156 Q, 3 AW

Work experience: have been working for indonesian government's internal auditor office since 2007 but my institution gave me scholarship to get bachelor's degree in 2011 and graduated in 2013

Coursework:  microeconomics D :unsure: , macroeconomic, financial management, cost accounting

Language skills: Indonesian (mother tongue), english: toefl ibt 107

Statement of Purpose: WIP

Letters of Recommendation: one of my professor and my boss

Concerns: below average GPA and painstakingly mediocre GRE

are those schools above realistic? if not, could you give me some other choices? i don't really have preference but my scholarship from government dictated that the university should be at least be in top 400 university in Times Higher Education or QS or webometrics.

thank you

Edited by iccancs

Crisisdiplomacy, is there ANY chance that you could retake the GRE before you apply? There's definitely time to take the exam again before submitting your applications, so I would recommend that you take the exam again if you feel like there is a possibility that you could improve your scores (even just a little). Although schools like SAIS try not to put too much emphasis on GRE scores, your scores are really low - for both quant AND verbal. You don't have much work experience to balance out the scores either, which means that they could really hurt your chances of being offered admission to any school. And, even if you do make the case for it in your essay and get accepted, these scores could potentially kill your chances for funding.  

Crisisdiplomacy, I second pretty much all of these suggestions. Two things that are really important to grad schools are full-time work experience and GRE scores. You need to get your scores into the 150s just to be competitive; take a look at the average scores for the accepted cohorts of the schools you're interested in. To be safe, you want to be around or above the average scores, and I can tell you they are not below 150 for these institutions. If you don't have work experience, you should have a really strong story and SOP.

On another note, it's not about whether you can get in to grad school or not -- it's about what life and work experiences have brought you to this place and how much you can get out of your graduate degree. I highly suggest you take a few years to work full-time and make sure this is really what you want to do, by which time you'll also be much better at networking, understand your specific interests a lot better, and be in a generally better place to make the most out of grad school, if it's really still the thing you want to do. I am learning from some tremendous professors of the practice at Duke who have no graduate degree, shockingly enough. It doesn't always take a grad degree to do what you want to do. But when you figure it out and decide you do, then it's time to apply to grad school. Very few people know what they want to do right out of (or when they're in) undergrad, and I firmly believe 99% of people could improve that understanding with more full-time work. Put in at least two to three years, and come back to grad school if it's still really the thing for you. 

I know that I've asked this question in one form or another in this forum, so I'll try to make this my last query regarding this topic: 

As it stands, I've got macroecon and statistics courses down on accredited transcripts. I'm planning on taking microecon this spring online via a city university of ny (CUNY) or community college program to fill up that last gap (I already took microecon via coursera earlier this year, but I was told that some schools wouldn't accept that credit). 

Having said all that, is there a way to indicate on my applications that my microecon class will be finished in due time, well before I actually start on the MPA degree (fall 2015)? I realize that I should've acted sooner and taken it this fall along with statistics, but this is probably the only option I have left at this point. As the saying goes, it's best to leave no stone unturned.

Thanks.  

Hi MsFutureDiplomat,

You actually sound like a really strong candidate for SAIS and particularly SAIS Europe. I'm in Bologna right now and I know quite a few people who have backgrounds that are similar to yours. Many of them have some sort of funding too, so I definitely wouldn't rule out that possibility. You have solid GRE scores and a decent GPA, which is definitely a plus when securing funding (the funding given through SAIS is merit-based, not need-based). Also, your work experience isn't strange at all -- it's indicative of a person who was slowly realizing what field they really wanted to be a part of. I think it's actually a strong point, because it clearly demonstrates how you've evolved both on a professional and personal level. 

As for not having an econ or quant background, that's not unusual. Yes, SAIS can be quant heavy, but they don't necessarily expect you to come into the program with that knowledge. They just do a damn good job of teaching all of it to you. Even before you arrive for your first semester, SAIS offers an online Principles of Economics course for all those who didn't study economics in undergrad or those who want a refresher. They also offer economics classes during pre-term so that you can go into your first semester with a more solid econ base. The vast majority of people take the micro or macro (although you do have the choice of taking Italian if you go to SAIS Europe so you're not completely lost when wandering around Bologna). 

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You really seem like you'd be a great candidate for SAIS, so best of luck!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I feel much more confident now. The more I research, the more I feel that SAIS-Bologna would be the right program for me (although, as I mentioned I would be thrilled with an offer from any of the programs I applied to). One more question though, if you can possibly give me some input on my recommender situation? The Georgian politician whom I'd worked for (and who already sent my rec according to my online applications) is quite well-known in the USA, but I just read a really unflattering article in a major US newspaper casting aspersions on his personal life and his administration (pretty serious allegations, although obviously nothing I had any idea about, as I have only known him to be professional and polite). The article even quoted a representative of one of the universities I'm applying to, stating that they were hesitant to invite him to lecture there for these reasons. I know this is a strange situation, but perhaps you have heard of someone who has been in it? WOuld you recommend asking for a fourth recommendation perhaps, or am I making too big of a deal about it? 

Thanks again for your time! I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I feel much more confident now. The more I research, the more I feel that SAIS-Bologna would be the right program for me (although, as I mentioned I would be thrilled with an offer from any of the programs I applied to). One more question though, if you can possibly give me some input on my recommender situation? The Georgian politician whom I'd worked for (and who already sent my rec according to my online applications) is quite well-known in the USA, but I just read a really unflattering article in a major US newspaper casting aspersions on his personal life and his administration (pretty serious allegations, although obviously nothing I had any idea about, as I have only known him to be professional and polite). The article even quoted a representative of one of the universities I'm applying to, stating that they were hesitant to invite him to lecture there for these reasons. I know this is a strange situation, but perhaps you have heard of someone who has been in it? WOuld you recommend asking for a fourth recommendation perhaps, or am I making too big of a deal about it? 

Thanks again for your time! I really appreciate it.

I don't think you should worry too much about your recommender situation. Admissions officers are more concerned about what a person has to say about you and the caliber of your work and experience. They don't necessarily try to get involved in the background of the person if the letter can demonstrate your achievements. If anything, a letter from a top level official (all scandals aside) shows that you have the capacity and qualifications to work at that level. 

And let's be honest... I feel like most politicians have skeletons in their closet. I'm sure admissions officers are able to separate one thing from the other. I don't think it's necessary for you to get another letter of rec. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck! :)

I don't think you should worry too much about your recommender situation. Admissions officers are more concerned about what a person has to say about you and the caliber of your work and experience. They don't necessarily try to get involved in the background of the person if the letter can demonstrate your achievements. If anything, a letter from a top level official (all scandals aside) shows that you have the capacity and qualifications to work at that level. 

And let's be honest... I feel like most politicians have skeletons in their closet. I'm sure admissions officers are able to separate one thing from the other. I don't think it's necessary for you to get another letter of rec. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck! :)

Great!! Thanks so much! Again, really appreciate your time in replying  :)