Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
482 replies to this topic

#481 Yuanyang

Yuanyang

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCambridge
  • Application Season:2015 Fall
  • Program:Neuroscience

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

I need advice so this is a good place to start I guess.

Desired Program:: Neuroscience/Neurobiology PhD, Fall 2015

Goal: A job where I'm paid to act like I'm the smartest person in a room (professor)

Undergrad: Private Liberal arts college, B.A. class of 2011 

Major: Biology

Minor: Mathematics (no real computer science minor)

GPA: 2.3 (Major GPA ~3.3). Bad freshman-sophmore year grades and very low grade inflation. 

GRE: 160 Math, 161 verbal, 5 AW

Quant-related coursework: Statistics, computational macroeconomics, data-structures and algorithums

Work Experience: 3 Years at MIT as a research technican in a neuroscience labratory, 2 publications as a middle author,  and some summer programming experience in bioinformatics with 1 middle author publication.

Schools I'm looking into:

Reach Tier: Columbia, Stanford, John Hopkins, MIT, Harvard (the latter two is the result of explaining to idiot relatives that just because i work for and know the professors there doesnt mean I'll be easier to get in. nevertheless they expect me to apply)

Likely Tier: UCSD, U of Washington, UT Huston, UT Southwestern Medical, Boston U, U of Arizona

SOP: A detailed research plan of what kind of project I want to do. I've been planning it it since I was an undergrad so there will be opportunity for narration on how I came up with it. I'll also have to explain my bad grades; I have been trying to get off SSRI medication at the time, with disasterous consequences.

Letters of Recommendation: 2-3 letters from my workplace, the PI's name holds some weight in the field but she urges me to get my undergrad professors to write one as well. The problem is, the best letter from my undergrad college is from a professor whom recently passed away and im not sure who else to go to.

I'm looking for other good programs in neuroscience. Also, thinking of taking the GRE again. And finally, can anyone vouch for application "tutor" services for help with writing the SOP?

#482 thevillagersid

thevillagersid

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea
  • Application Season:2014 Fall
  • Program:MPP/IR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

Hi Yuanyang--GPA can be a deal breaker, but raising your GRE scores (quant esp.) and doing an MS could help show you have what it takes for a PhD. Solid research experience and good recs are definitely a plus, but you should probably ask in another forum for advice on those--this is government affairs.  ;)

Admit: Syracuse Maxwell (MPA) ($$$) | Yale Jackson (MA) | Chicago Harris (MPP) ($) | UPenn Fels (MPA) ($) | Columbia SIPA (MIA)  

Waitlist: Berkeley GSPP (MPP) | HKS (MPP)

Stats: GRE Q/V/A - 170/165/4.5 | B.A. - 3.2 | M.A. - 4.0 (international uni.) 

#483 Pichichi

Pichichi

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Application Season:2014 Fall

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Hi everybody,

I will be applying to IR programs this fall (or next, depending on my satisfaction with my GRE scores) and would appreciate any words of wisdom regarding my chances or any advice on how to make myself more competitive. 

Programs Considering: SIS, GW Elliot, University of Maryland, Korbel, LBJ, Fletcher, Pitt, LBJ

Undergraduate Institution: Top 5 Regional Public University in the South

Undergraduate Major:  International Affairs; Minors: Spanish and Economics

Undergraduate GPA: 3.35 (less than stellar freshman year)

Study Abroad: 4 months in Spain

GRE: Taking it later this Fall

Work Experience:  

Just completed one year as an English teaching assistant in Spain and will begin my second year this fall.

2 Summers interning at a relatively small US regulatory agency

Languages: Spanish (essentially fluent); Russian (very basic level) 

LORs: Already assured by 2 professors (Econ dept and Poli Sci dept)

Coursework:  micro, macro, IR, comparative politics, international finance, economics of natural resources, political geography, politics of the EU, political development, economic development, US foreign policy, statistics, cross-national research skills and more...

Concerns:  C in my Macro class, which is slightly unsettling and perhaps a lack of more formal work experience (I'm not sure how most of these schools look at teaching English abroad).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users