The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

On 12/14/2015 at 6:20 AM, hopeful88 said:

You have a strategic decision to make. If you are determined to return to school as soon as possible, regardless of where you go, then add some additional safeties like American. But I too would caution you against investing the time and money in a grad program that you're not really excited about. It seems that if you got some targeted work experience, you would have a much stronger application a few years down the road. Also, consulting is generally difficult to get into without solid work experience. Think about the professional path you will need to take to achieve your dream job, and whether the first steps of that path require you to attend school immediately. I think it's always best to get as far as you can while still earning money and building experience. But I'm sure you will be able to get into some grad programs now if you decide it's the right thing to do, assuming you broaden your portfolio a bit. Admissions is always something of a crapshoot, so definitely apply to reach schools as well. Good luck!

I wouldn't mind getting targeted experience, but it would be hard for me to get a position with a biology degree and some development experience. But I'll continue researching. Thank you.

Currently a Senior Government Major at the University of Texas at Austin. Will be graduating in Spring of 2016. Planning to study energy policy. Attached is my resume to better outline things (if anyone actually wants to take the time to read it ha).

Program: MIA/MPP

School Applying to:  Bush (TAMU), LBJ (UT) / Sanford (Duke), Gerald Ford (Michigan) - haven't applied. considering.

Undergrad Institution: The University of Texas at Austin, May 2016

Undergrad GPA: 3.798, with honors

Major/Minor: Government/Philosophy

GRE: 157 V, 151 Q, 5 Writing 

Years of Work Experience: still in undergrad

Published Work: None

Languages: Spanish

Other: 3 years of volunteering, tutored during undergrad, lettered NCAA athlete

Work Experience: No post graduate work experience, but spent interim interning for a Texas State Representative at the Texas State Capitol in 2014, worked as a natural resources legislative assistant to a Texas State Rep during session in 2015 along with interning at another Texas State Representative, worked for a presidential campaign in summer of 2015, worked at a law firm in summer of 2015. In addition, I am a 4 year NCAA Collegiate athlete, competing at Texas Tech University one year and my last three years at UT (javelin/pole vault). Furthermore, I have a year of eligibility left to where I could compete my last year while in grad school as many track athletes do. This could possibly offer me additional scholarship money. 

Quant Experience: Took a semester of econ, taking political stats next semester.

Strength of LoR 1: From a professor whom I have done research for/ was accepted into a liberal arts honors study abroad maymester program with for May 2016

Strength of LoR 2: From a professor with whom advised me on grad school choices. Did exceptionally well in class. 

Strength of LoR 3: One of a handful of other professors, strong letter of rec. 

Concerns: GRE scores, lack of work experience, LORs, $$$ (will not be graduating undergrad with student debt due to merit scholarship and parents' assistance, but do not wish to accumulate a ton of debt from a master's program)

I'm also concerned about going to a school that accepts students straight out of undergrad. I am aware schools such as Cal, John Hopkins, etc. do not accept applicants without post-graduate work experience. Also, I have been advised by professors at UT and from the Bush School staff to apply to additional schools or "reach" schools, but I am not sure where to direct my attention toward. I have spent my entire life living in Texas so I am not sure how I would adjust to a different culture/environment, but considering I have experienced both extremes (a small town of 2500 people to Lubbock to Austin), I think I would fair alright for two years. Additionally, I want to study energy policy so I am not sure which schools boast strong programs for this specialization. Ideally, I would like to end up back in Houston working in the energy capital of the world; however, I am not partial to where I land a gig. I am certain thought that I want to focus on clean. renewable, and sustainable energy. If anyone could offer me any advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Resume.docx

1 hour ago, spo said:

Currently a Senior Government Major at the University of Texas at Austin. Will be graduating in Spring of 2016. Planning to study energy policy. Attached is my resume to better outline things (if anyone actually wants to take the time to read it ha).

Program: MIA/MPP

School Applying to:  Bush (TAMU), LBJ (UT) / Sanford (Duke), Gerald Ford (Michigan) - haven't applied. considering.

Undergrad Institution: The University of Texas at Austin, May 2016

Undergrad GPA: 3.798, with honors

Major/Minor: Government/Philosophy

GRE: 157 V, 151 Q, 5 Writing 

Years of Work Experience: still in undergrad

Published Work: None

Languages: Spanish

Other: 3 years of volunteering, tutored during undergrad, lettered NCAA athlete

Work Experience: No post graduate work experience, but spent interim interning for a Texas State Representative at the Texas State Capitol in 2014, worked as a natural resources legislative assistant to a Texas State Rep during session in 2015 along with interning at another Texas State Representative, worked for a presidential campaign in summer of 2015, worked at a law firm in summer of 2015. In addition, I am a 4 year NCAA Collegiate athlete, competing at Texas Tech University one year and my last three years at UT (javelin/pole vault). Furthermore, I have a year of eligibility left to where I could compete my last year while in grad school as many track athletes do. This could possibly offer me additional scholarship money. 

Quant Experience: Took a semester of econ, taking political stats next semester.

Strength of LoR 1: From a professor whom I have done research for/ was accepted into a liberal arts honors study abroad maymester program with for May 2016

Strength of LoR 2: From a professor with whom advised me on grad school choices. Did exceptionally well in class. 

Strength of LoR 3: One of a handful of other professors, strong letter of rec. 

Concerns: GRE scores, lack of work experience, LORs, $$$ (will not be graduating undergrad with student debt due to merit scholarship and parents' assistance, but do not wish to accumulate a ton of debt from a master's program)

I'm also concerned about going to a school that accepts students straight out of undergrad. I am aware schools such as Cal, John Hopkins, etc. do not accept applicants without post-graduate work experience. Also, I have been advised by professors at UT and from the Bush School staff to apply to additional schools or "reach" schools, but I am not sure where to direct my attention toward. I have spent my entire life living in Texas so I am not sure how I would adjust to a different culture/environment, but considering I have experienced both extremes (a small town of 2500 people to Lubbock to Austin), I think I would fair alright for two years. Additionally, I want to study energy policy so I am not sure which schools boast strong programs for this specialization. Ideally, I would like to end up back in Houston working in the energy capital of the world; however, I am not partial to where I land a gig. I am certain thought that I want to focus on clean. renewable, and sustainable energy. If anyone could offer me any advice, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Resume.docx

I get the sense you should consider doing a couple things - obtain a broader view of the world and get additional work experience in your field. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to stick around in Texas if you want to do energy policy - low cost of living/tuition + a world capital for energy + lots of $$ means you could do far worse. But I'd still recommend you consider going out of state to a higher profile institution for your own learning/broadening and to bring a more impressive approach long-term to your field. So, I'd suggest you postpone your grad school plan and aggressively pursue the best work experience you can - why not stay in Texas for another 1-3 years and continue to work in politics/policy/NGO/corporate energy sector? Then you can go off for a couple years, do your MA and then hopefully come back with a better job in hand. The Bush School is a fantastic place, so I don't think you could go wrong there, but to really challenge yourself intellectually I'd suggest you look at either SAIS with a concentration in your field, the Fletcher MIB program, or Yale Jackson. I'd also suggest you strongly consider going the traditional MBA route, especially if you can get some solid and very relevant work experience in the next couple years. Methinks Yale SOM, Columbia, and UT Austin would all be solid choices.   

One more point - with your profile - given that you've succeeded academically, fulfill a niche candidate box, and have a cohesive story - (I'm not sure about the GRE as I'm not familiar with its scoring) I think you'd have a solid chance of getting into SAIS, Fletcher, SIPA, or Georgetown MSFS right now.  

22 minutes ago, went_away said:

I get the sense you should consider doing a couple things - obtain a broader view of the world and get additional work experience in your field. I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea to stick around in Texas if you want to do energy policy - low cost of living/tuition + a world capital for energy + lots of $$ means you could do far worse. But I'd still recommend you consider going out of state to a higher profile institution for your own learning/broadening and to bring a more impressive approach long-term to your field. So, I'd suggest you postpone your grad school plan and aggressively pursue the best work experience you can - why not stay in Texas for another 1-3 years and continue to work in politics/policy/NGO/corporate energy sector? Then you can go off for a couple years, do your MA and then hopefully come back with a better job in hand. The Bush School is a fantastic place, so I don't think you could go wrong there, but to really challenge yourself intellectually I'd suggest you look at either SAIS with a concentration in your field, the Fletcher MIB program, or Yale Jackson. I'd also suggest you strongly consider going the traditional MBA route, especially if you can get some solid and very relevant work experience in the next couple years. Methinks Yale SOM, Columbia, and UT Austin would all be solid choices.   

One more point - with your profile - given that you've succeeded academically, fulfill a niche candidate box, and have a cohesive story - (I'm not sure about the GRE as I'm not familiar with its scoring) I think you'd have a solid chance of getting into SAIS, Fletcher, SIPA, or Georgetown MSFS right now.  

Hey went_away, thanks for the response! I am currently trying to get everything wrapped up before going on vacation tomorrow so I can send out emails for my letters of rec requests. I've already applied to UT, but I am leaning more toward TAMU due to the availability of the energy institute, the staff, and the amount of $$$ available. I can also take my last year of athletic eligibility here which would allow me to finish up my five years of eligibility and get some money. Also, a small town with not alot to do plus athletics will provide as a good distraction from getting in trouble as Austin has proved true time and time again; I can actually focus purely on school. Plus, the appeal of the aggienetwork doesn't hurt either. I think that the proximity of location to Houston is also beneficial if I want to work in energy. 

I have actually been advised to go work for a few years by one of my professors; however, I know if I take time off that I will more than likely not end up going back. I think it is honestly best for me to go straight into grad school, but different strokes for different folks. I have thought about a MBA program, as strongly suggested by my dad initially, but the idea of the program does not appeal to me. I also am dissuaded from applying to the schools listed above because I know that I will not be able to afford them. One of the big reasons I decided against law school was the 150k in debt price tag which would be likely if I went to one of the more prestigious schools. I understand that prestige is important, but in the field I am considering going into (private sector most likely down here) I am not sure that it entirely matters. Long term - maybe? But is the price worth it? Also, just barely getting in by the skin of my teeth and struggling for two years while I could go at a slightly less prestigious school and do phenomenally well is another facet to consider I suppose. Nonetheless, if I apply and get in to one of those schools, they would prove to be great bargaining chips. 

I appreciate your help so much though! Solid advice!

18 minutes ago, spo said:

Hey went_away, thanks for the response! I am currently trying to get everything wrapped up before going on vacation tomorrow so I can send out emails for my letters of rec requests. I've already applied to UT, but I am leaning more toward TAMU due to the availability of the energy institute, the staff, and the amount of $$$ available. I can also take my last year of athletic eligibility here which would allow me to finish up my five years of eligibility and get some money. Also, a small town with not alot to do plus athletics will provide as a good distraction from getting in trouble as Austin has proved true time and time again; I can actually focus purely on school. Plus, the appeal of the aggienetwork doesn't hurt either. I think that the proximity of location to Houston is also beneficial if I want to work in energy. 

I have actually been advised to go work for a few years by one of my professors; however, I know if I take time off that I will more than likely not end up going back. I think it is honestly best for me to go straight into grad school, but different strokes for different folks. I have thought about a MBA program, as strongly suggested by my dad initially, but the idea of the program does not appeal to me. I also am dissuaded from applying to the schools listed above because I know that I will not be able to afford them. One of the big reasons I decided against law school was the 150k in debt price tag which would be likely if I went to one of the more prestigious schools. I understand that prestige is important, but in the field I am considering going into (private sector most likely down here) I am not sure that it entirely matters. Long term - maybe? But is the price worth it? Also, just barely getting in by the skin of my teeth and struggling for two years while I could go at a slightly less prestigious school and do phenomenally well is another facet to consider I suppose. Nonetheless, if I apply and get in to one of those schools, they would prove to be great bargaining chips. 

You won't struggle academically at a better school and won't necessarily get in barely by the skin of your teeth. Also, Yale Jackson gives tons away in scholarships. For what you want, though the Bush School might be the best choice. Things have become so insanely competitive that having a master's degree with local connections right off the bat - even for an unpaid/low paid internship - may be a good choice. If you go the Texas-only route and then dive into energy policy, I suggest you take a look at the Fletcher GMAP program in the next 6-8 years. 

What do you want to do? If you don't say where you want to go, it will be defined for you by your reader - security/gov contracting. It would be helpful if you could do some thinking as to how an additional higher level degree will expand your mindset and change your career trajectory vs. what it would have been otherwise. You've got some extremely in demand skills (and articulate your experience well), veteran hiring preference, GI bill, and clearance, so you should be looking good at any of your desired programs. Hard to give any additional input without knowing where you want to go with your degree. If you want to double (triple?) down on your security focus you might take a look at Georgetown's MA in Security Studies. That's a quite a nice degree for certain veteran types who want to transition into in-house corporate security at household name corporations. SAIS would probably be the other best option for you as some of their grads seem to land some of the more lucrative gov consulting/contracting positions.  

Hey Sorry about the delayed response. My goal is to working as a political officer with security focuses for the State Department and station in Beijing China. my research is to focus on how our "Asian-pacific Pivoted' defense policy influences the South China Sea disputes, and what are some of the possible solutions to reduce the current tensions. Yes, you are corrected, the field I applied is very security policy focused, especially with Fletcher and SIPA. I actually didn't make to SAIS early notification round, my application is being deferred to the regular round. I applied the following schools; American, Tufts, SAIS, SIPA, Elliott, Harvard, and Berkeley. My dream schools are actually Tufts, SIPA, and SAIS. Nevertheless, I will be delighted to go any of those programs. Thank you for reply have a wonderful new year.  

On 12/26/2015 at 7:13 AM, Transitioning Military Off said:

What do you want to do? If you don't say where you want to go, it will be defined for you by your reader - security/gov contracting. It would be helpful if you could do some thinking as to how an additional higher level degree will expand your mindset and change your career trajectory vs. what it would have been otherwise. You've got some extremely in demand skills (and articulate your experience well), veteran hiring preference, GI bill, and clearance, so you should be looking good at any of your desired programs. Hard to give any additional input without knowing where you want to go with your degree. If you want to double (triple?) down on your security focus you might take a look at Georgetown's MA in Security Studies. That's a quite a nice degree for certain veteran types who want to transition into in-house corporate security at household name corporations. SAIS would probably be the other best option for you as some of their grads seem to land some of the more lucrative gov consulting/contracting positions.  

Hey Sorry about the delayed response. My goal is to working as a political officer with security focuses for the State Department and station in Beijing China. my research is to focus on how our "Asian-pacific Pivoted' defense policy influences the South China Sea disputes, and what are some of the possible solutions to reduce the current tensions. Yes, you are corrected, the field I applied is very security policy focused, especially with Fletcher and SIPA. I actually didn't make to SAIS early notification round, my application is being deferred to the regular round. I applied the following schools; American, Tufts, SAIS, SIPA, Elliott, Harvard, and Berkeley. My dream schools are actually Tufts, SIPA, and SAIS. Nevertheless, I will be delighted to go any of those programs. Thank you for reply have a wonderful new year.  

Best of luck. State Department is extremely relationship oriented, so start making additional friends and contacts there now. It's also very hierarchical and competitive, so being open to a variety of positions there would be in your best interest. In addition to (all) the other Bureaus, you should check out Diplomatic Security. I'd also recommend again you add Georgetown's MA in Security Studies to your list of applications. It might actually be a better fit for you as I suspect they have more mature/experienced students among their student body than the flagship programs of the top schools (MALD/MSFS/etc). Send me a private message if you end up in DC. 

On 12/18/2015 at 4:00 PM, spo said:

@spo, If you "take time off" and go work for a few years, and decide not to attend graduate school, I think that would be a perfectly good thing. When you decide whether to go or not, it's based on where you want to end up, what kind of job you want to have, what kind of salary you want to earn, etc. etc. If you decide not to attend graduate school, I imagine it would be because you are already earning what you want to earn (or have the potential to do so soon), in the field you want to work in, doing work that you like. What's wrong with that? Just having a graduate degree by itself isn't some sort of accomplishment (though people will say it is). After a few years of work, if you think you're going to get more opportunities and more of what you want by going to graduate school, then you do it. The sheer fact that you're going back and forth between law school - MBA - and policy schools indicates to me you don't know what you want to do yet. Pretty much everyone I know with a graduate degree (and it sounds like your professor agrees) either is happy they took a few years off or wishes they'd taken a few years (at least). It will put you on a slightly different path, but if that's better, why not take it?

So take @went_away's advice and go work for a few years to see if that's what you really want to end up. The worst thing that will happen is that you will be two or three years older and have paid some student loans/ built up savings for graduate school. The decision on what schools to go to and how they will offer funding or not is one to be made after you figure out whether to attend graduate school or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Applying For: MPA/MPP

Applying At: an unspecified list of good MPA/MPP schools. Minnesota, USC, Indiana maybe? Those are just a few schools that are still accepting this late in the cycle.

Undergrad Institution: Michigan State, University of Michigan satellite school

Undergrad GPA: 3.9 in 3 years at UM; 1.8 at Michigan State 7-10 years prior. (More details below.)

Undergrad Major: BA in Philosophy

GRE: 168 Verbal (98%), 155 Quantitative (60%), 4.5 Writing (80%)

Quantitative Skills: I took some Econ and Accounting like 10 years ago. Pretty sure I got 'B's.

Work Experience: None of the professional variety.

Rec Letters: Should be very good. Philosophy professors who know me and my story quite well.

Career Goal: This sounds incredibly vague, but I want to work in non-profits. I'm trying to focus on programs that emphasize non-profit management.

Concerns: Low GPA at MSU, somewhat low quant score, lack of experience.

GPA details: Have a serious disease, things got bad in my second year of undergrad. Had lots of botched surgeries over 5 years, could barely walk and had serious trouble getting to class—especially in the wintertime. Got a lot of zeroes in a row, result was academic dismissal. Took time off, had a surgery that worked, and got back on the horse at a different school. Did really well, graduated, and that takes us to today.

Edited by aslabchu

Applying For: MPA/MPP

Applying At: Princeton WWS, Virginia(Batten), Duke(Sanford), Georgetown(McCourt), Central European University, two Erasmus Mundus programs (MAPP, IMRCEES)

Undergrad Institution: University of Oregon

Undergrad GPA: 3.64

Undergrad Major: BS in Economics and Music (double major), minor in Math

GRE: 161 Verbal, 170 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Quantitative Skills: As an economics major and math minor, quite a bit. Stats, Multivar Calc, Linear Algebra, etc.

Work Experience: 1 year as a Peace Corps Volunteer (evacuated from country), returned as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in the same country for another year. Additional year working as communications director of an NGO helping IDPs in Ukraine. 3 years of research assistant work during undergrad/internships.

Rec Letters: One from the head of the economics department (worked as his research assistant for three years), one from the Peace Corps director of my country (who I know well), one from the director of small grants in my Peace Corps country (worked closely to receive USAID grant for my community)

Career Goal: Working with youth and civil society organizations in developing countries by teaching and facilitating civic projects.

Concerns: Lowish GPA, requiring a lot of funding in order to attend due to huge loans from undergrad.

9 hours ago, jakemc said:

Applying For: MPA/MPP

Applying At: Princeton WWS, Virginia(Batten), Duke(Sanford), Georgetown(McCourt), Central European University, two Erasmus Mundus programs (MAPP, IMRCEES)

Undergrad Institution: University of Oregon

Undergrad GPA: 3.64

Undergrad Major: BS in Economics and Music (double major), minor in Math

GRE: 161 Verbal, 170 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing

Quantitative Skills: As an economics major and math minor, quite a bit. Stats, Multivar Calc, Linear Algebra, etc.

Work Experience: 1 year as a Peace Corps Volunteer (evacuated from country), returned as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in the same country for another year. Additional year working as communications director of an NGO helping IDPs in Ukraine. 3 years of research assistant work during undergrad/internships.

Rec Letters: One from the head of the economics department (worked as his research assistant for three years), one from the Peace Corps director of my country (who I know well), one from the director of small grants in my Peace Corps country (worked closely to receive USAID grant for my community)

Career Goal: Working with youth and civil society organizations in developing countries by teaching and facilitating civic projects.

Concerns: Lowish GPA, requiring a lot of funding in order to attend due to huge loans from undergrad.

Your profile seems strong. WWS is always a shot in the dark, but I think you can get into several of the other programs you listed. Your essays and the way you present your experiences in order to fit your goals will ultimately be what impacts your app the most. My only comment would be that your career goal seems a tad vague (I would include a particular area within what you mentioned), but that might just be because you're omitting information here.

Program:  MPP/MPA

School Applying to: HKS, WWS, SIPA, Sanford, Ford, Harris

Undergrad Institution: Delhi University, India's Best University for Economics ( A lot of extracurricular activities, clubs etc)

Undergrad GPA: Second Division

Major/Minor: Economics 

Courses: Calculus, Micro, Macro, Maths, Stats etc

GRE: 157 V, 162 Q,  Writing: 4

Years of Work Experience: 4

Languages: English, Hindi, Tamil

Other:

Work Experience: Working with a public policy think tank. 

Quant Experience: Worked with a multinational analytics company where I did financial modelling.

Internships: 2 Public policy Internships  + An internship with a bank

Strength of LoR 1: Very strong. Director of the Public Policy Institute

Strength of LoR 2: Strong.From a professor with whom I took 2 courses with and received an A in all of them ( The highest grade in my University)  and also assisted him with a project.

Strength of LoR 3: Strong. From my manager in the multinational analytics company.

Concerns: Low score in my verbal.I am also a bit concerned about my SoPs. Don't know how strong it is. 

Program:  MA (see below)

School Applying to: Johns Hopkins SAIS (American Foreign Policy/International Development), American SIS (International Economic Relations), University of Denver Korbel School (International Development) 

Undergrad Institution: University of South Carolina (Yeah, we have higher ed down here.)

Undergrad GPA: 3.015

Major/Minor: Journalism/Political Science

GRE: 168V (98% below), 157Q (68%), 5.5 AW (98%)

Years of Work Experience: Nine. 

Published Work: One, on media development in Southeast Asia (plus a gajillion non-academic pieces, here, there and everywhere)

Languages: English, French, Khmer, Mongolian

Other: Certified teacher of English as a foreign language (Cambridge CELTA), named a "fellow" of a small international literacy NGO, member of the Overseas Press Club of Cambodia.

Awards: President's Volunteer Service Award (2013), state press association awards (2008, all irrelevant to international development), Society of Professional Journalists award (2007, irrelevant to international development), three-time dean's list 

Work Experience: Summary: Five years working/volunteering in developing countries as a teacher/national newspaper editor (most recently through Peace Corps), four years working/volunteering domestically as a local newspaper editor/web designer.

SOP: I'm a strong writer, and I tell a great story, but academia makes me twitchy. I describe the link between international journalism, teaching and volunteering as an interest in international service and development. I explain that my low undergrad GPA was largely the result of late nights in various newsrooms.

Strength of LoR 1: Strong. From the country director during my Peace Corps service -- we had a very good relationship. She did her own Peace Corps service in the country where I worked as an editor for both English-language newspapers, so she can speak to both my terms abroad (on the frozen steppe and in the tropics).

Strength of LoR 2: Strongish? From a former managing editor at one of those foreign newspapers, a close friend who is brilliant but currently unemployed, exemplifying the reason that I wanted to get out of journalism.

Strength of LoR 3: No idea. From a former English professor with whom I've kept in touch over the years but who is now the director of career development at a small public university -- I figured I needed someone who had actually taught me. 

Concerns: The University of South Carolina isn't exactly a prestigious school. My 3.015 GPA is less than stellar -- I made the dean's list for my first two semesters and my last one (sandwiching my late-night employment). I also flunked a couple of high-level political science courses for excessive absences, and I only took one of the two recommended undergrad econ courses. 

I don't have strong academic references, because that was a decade ago!

And I'm worried that schools will question my commitment and stick-to-it-iveness after I quit journalism to teach and volunteer. 

Money is also an issue: Journalism, volunteerism and education aren't exactly lucrative fields (I made $2,400 last year!), so I could really use some aid beyond the Peace Corps Coverdell Fellowship. Is it even conceivable that a school would offer additional aid?

Edited by ApparentlyLost

• 3 weeks later...

After a few months of researching, I've picked out the programs I'm interested in. I just have one question for the knowledgeable folk: Will I stand a good chance at getting into at least one of the programs listed below: 

1. Harvard JFK

2. GWU - Elliott

3. Georgetown - MSFS/MPP

4. Tufts - Fletcher

5. Columbia - SIPA

6. JHU - SAIS

Major: Biology, BA

GPA: 3.2

GRE: 154V/161Q/4.0W

WE: 2 years Peace Corps 

Quantitative: Calculus I, Statistics, Micro and Macro

Languages: Trilingual

SOP/LoRs: Haven't started, but assuming they will be decent -good. 

Am I being overconfident by applying to these top programs? Is there a good-strong chance that I will get rejected from all? The only thing I can work on at the moment is taking the GRE again.  

1 hour ago, ub3rmensch said:

After a few months of researching, I've picked out the programs I'm interested in. I just have one question for the knowledgeable folk: Will I stand a good chance at getting into at least one of the programs listed below: 

1. Harvard JFK

2. GWU - Elliott

3. Georgetown - MSFS/MPP

4. Tufts - Fletcher

5. Columbia - SIPA

6. JHU - SAIS

Major: Biology, BA

GPA: 3.2

GRE: 154V/161Q/4.0W

WE: 2 years Peace Corps 

Quantitative: Calculus I, Statistics, Micro and Macro

Languages: Trilingual

SOP/LoRs: Haven't started, but assuming they will be decent -good. 

Am I being overconfident by applying to these top programs? Is there a good-strong chance that I will get rejected from all? The only thing I can work on at the moment is taking the GRE again.  

I'm assuming this is for Fall 2017 admission? Are you out of the peace corps now? What are you doing in the meantime?

Tbh, I think you've set your sights a little high. There is nothing exemplary about your app at this point, but if you add to your relevant WE and maybe retake the GRE then you could be pretty competitive. 

2 hours ago, Poli92 said:

I'm assuming this is for Fall 2017 admission? Are you out of the peace corps now? What are you doing in the meantime?

Tbh, I think you've set your sights a little high. There is nothing exemplary about your app at this point, but if you add to your relevant WE and maybe retake the GRE then you could be pretty competitive. 

Yes, I'll be applying for fall 2017. I'm halfway through my PC service. 

I am just seeking some input from other people to make sure I am going about this the right way. I am about to start applying to some MPA programs, and I honestly believe the schools I am applying to are the bottom of the barrel. I see people posting about Top 10-25 programs every day, or see people posting whether or not they got accepted/denied to all of these premiere programs, but the ones I am considering attending, I never see anything from. I just want to make sure the caliber of programs I am applying to fits my profile. I did poor in undergrad, so I assumed I was limited to lower tier programs. Based on my "profile" provided below, am I shooting for the right places? To what tier schools should I really be applying to?

Graduated from a state school in the Fall of 2011 with a 2.7 GPA with a 2.85 in the major. 

Major: Political Science Minor: Business

I am currently employed full time, four years relevant work experience and counting.

GRE: 156V, 158Q, and 5.5 AWA.

Assuming my LoR and SoP are decent to great, does anyone have an idea/ballpark as to what programs are long shots? Programs that I may be competitive? Programs that I would be a sure thing, assuming those exist? Part of me thinks I have the worst profile ever and can't get into anywhere, and then part of me sees "decent" schools and thinks, "maybe I can get in there afterall." I'm not talking Columbia, Harvard, USC, Syracuse, Duke, etc. but am I really doomed to unaccredited institutions, and the like?

49 minutes ago, Talbs said:

I am just seeking some input from other people to make sure I am going about this the right way. I am about to start applying to some MPA programs, and I honestly believe the schools I am applying to are the bottom of the barrel. I see people posting about Top 10-25 programs every day, or see people posting whether or not they got accepted/denied to all of these premiere programs, but the ones I am considering attending, I never see anything from. I just want to make sure the caliber of programs I am applying to fits my profile. I did poor in undergrad, so I assumed I was limited to lower tier programs. Based on my "profile" provided below, am I shooting for the right places? To what tier schools should I really be applying to?

Graduated from a state school in the Fall of 2011 with a 2.7 GPA with a 2.85 in the major. 

Major: Political Science Minor: Business

I am currently employed full time, four years relevant work experience and counting.

GRE: 156V, 158Q, and 5.5 AWA.

Assuming my LoR and SoP are decent to great, does anyone have an idea/ballpark as to what programs are long shots? Programs that I may be competitive? Programs that I would be a sure thing, assuming those exist? Part of me thinks I have the worst profile ever and can't get into anywhere, and then part of me sees "decent" schools and thinks, "maybe I can get in there afterall." I'm not talking Columbia, Harvard, USC, Syracuse, Duke, etc. but am I really doomed to unaccredited institutions, and the like?

Your four years of work experience will always be a huge plus.  Are you applying to start in fall 2016?  I think a lot of deadlines for MPA/MPP programs have passed now...atleast for the ones you have mentioned.  But you can double check.  If anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free.  If you need help tracking down some programs, let me know.  Anything to help out a fellow North Carolinian

Edited by sp108

I mentioned them primarily because those are the ones I feel that "elite" prospects will be applying to, not myself. All the programs I have looked at have Summer deadlines for the most part, but again, these programs are probably mediocre at best by the forum's standards.

Edited by Talbs

1 minute ago, Talbs said:

I mentioned them primarily because those are the ones I feel that "elite" prospects will be applying to, not myself. All the programs I have looked at have Summer deadlines for the most part, but again, these programs are probably mediocre at best by the forum's standards.

What are your policy interests and career goals? Does your work experience align with those interests?

From the information you provided, your biggest red flag may be your GPA--but many folks on this forum can attest to continuing their graduate education with sub-3.0 GPAs. I know this sub-forum can look somewhat daunting as applicants aim for top tier programs, but I'm sure you know that you don't need a Harvard Kennedy education to do what you want to do in public policy/administration.

So long as your career goals are specific enough to explain to admissions' committees, and the programs you're researching are accredited, I don't think you're necessarily doomed!

10 minutes ago, Talbs said:

Try NYU Wagner, UGA, and UNC Chapel Hill

4 minutes ago, sp108 said:

Try NYU Wagner, UGA, and UNC Chapel Hill

You know honestly, UNC-CH is essentially a "dream school" to me, but I had convinced myself there was no chance in hell at getting accepted, so there was no need to waste my cash. On the off chance I was accepted, I didn't know if 55k for the program there would be worth the premium, compared to an MPA from somewhere like Clemson that would cost half as much. I will give these schools some thought.

4 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

What are your policy interests and career goals? Does your work experience align with those interests?

From the information you provided, your biggest red flag may be your GPA--but many folks on this forum can attest to continuing their graduate education with sub-3.0 GPAs. I know this sub-forum can look somewhat daunting as applicants aim for top tier programs, but I'm sure you know that you don't need a Harvard Kennedy education to do what you want to do in public policy/administration.

So long as your career goals are specific enough to explain to admissions' committees, and the programs you're researching are accredited, I don't think you're necessarily doomed!

If I enter an MPA program, I will do a specialization/concentration in either Town/City/County Management, or Public Finance. All of my work experience has been with departments within county government. I just didn't know if I should completely sell out and only apply to schools that are begging for applicants, or if maybe schools within the Top 100 should be on my list.

1 minute ago, Talbs said:

You know honestly, UNC-CH is essentially a "dream school" to me, but I had convinced myself there was no chance in hell at getting accepted, so there was no need to waste my cash. On the off chance I was accepted, I didn't know if 55k for the program there would be worth the premium, compared to an MPA from somewhere like Clemson that would cost half as much. I will give these schools some thought.

If I enter an MPA program, I will do a specialization/concentration in either Town/City/County Management, or Public Finance. All of my work experience has been with departments within county government. I just didn't know if I should completely sell out and only apply to schools that are begging for applicants, or if maybe schools within the Top 100 should be on my list.

I don't think it would hurt to try at all and you definitely stand a chance.  The schools I mentioned are great for Public Finance. 

Program: MPA, International Relations

Undergrad School: SUNY Purchase College

Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Dean's List the first two years, but fell off my last year.)

Note: Graduated in three years

Work Experience: I've worked as a reporter in various capacities with publications in The New York Post, LA Weekly and various papers through the Associated Press. I've also have had some fiction published. I ventured into education for a short while as a tutor of at risk youths in one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods. Currently I work as a docent at a science museum.

GRE:  Quantitative - 148; Verbal - 162; Writing - 4.5

LORs: Journalism professor with international reporting experience, high school comparative politics teacher--who was arguably the best in the country at the time she taught me--, either a political science professor or a former co-worker with knowledge of my analytical skills

Foreign Language Skills: I'm learning Spanish and plan on picking up French soon. Currently I know a little bit of both, but am no one where near fluent.

Journalism was my first choice, but I realized I'm more interested in international relations. I'm a career changer. What are my chances of attending a top tier school? Should I brush up on math and retake the GRE to improve my quantitative score?

46 minutes ago, The_Gibson said:

Program: MPA, International Relations

Undergrad School: SUNY Purchase College

Undergrad GPA: 3.48 (Dean's List the first two years, but fell off my last year.)

Note: Graduated in three years

Work Experience: I've worked as a reporter in various capacities with publications in The New York Post, LA Weekly and various papers through the Associated Press. I've also have had some fiction published. I ventured into education for a short while as a tutor of at risk youths in one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods. Currently I work as a docent at a science museum.

GRE:  Quantitative - 148; Verbal - 162; Writing - 4.5

LORs: Journalism professor with international reporting experience, high school comparative politics teacher--who was arguably the best in the country at the time she taught me--, either a political science professor or a former co-worker with knowledge of my analytical skills

Foreign Language Skills: I'm learning Spanish and plan on picking up French soon. Currently I know a little bit of both, but am no one where near fluent.

Journalism was my first choice, but I realized I'm more interested in international relations. I'm a career changer. What are my chances of attending a top tier school? Should I brush up on math and retake the GRE to improve my quantitative score?

I would definitely recommend improving that Q score. Your experience won't be proof that you have good analytical skills, so, combined with a below 50th percentile score, I think you are out of the running for all top tier schools at this point. Shoot for a 160, but even a 155 will look much better than a 148. You have unique-enough work experience that could prove valuable to admissions if you can prove to them that you can handle the economics/statistics.