Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2015 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

The 'Am I competitive' thread - READ ME BEFORE POSTING

competitiveness gpa gre requirements experience profile application

• Please log in to reply
601 replies to this topic

#601 Poli92

Poli92

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Application Season:Not Applicable

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

If you can get into the high 150's or low 160's then I think you could be a really competitive candidate. Any work experience beyond that certainly couldn't hurt. 

Applied: Yale Jackson, JHU SAIS, GWU Elliott, and American SIS
Accepted: JHU SAIS, GWU Elliott, and American SIS
Rejected: Yale Jackson

#602 ajak568

ajak568

Caffeinated

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationPanama
  • Application Season:2015 Fall
  • Program:Master of Public Affairs

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

jcspc,

For now, I definitely think my main focus would be pulling up the GRE scores as much as you can. If you get the scores up, you could stand a solid shot at some of these programs, and maybe even get some funding. Similarly to you, I'm finishing up my PC service at age 25 and I decided to pursue graduate school after. I was concerned about how my application would look given my limited work experience (I did Peace Corps almost straight out of undergrad), but with strong academic/personal statements that articulated my desire to study in the programs to which I applied (policy analysis programs), I did get some great results out of my applications.

Do you have any econ/stats/calc background? If not, I definitely recommend taking a few free online courses on Coursera if you can. Even if with less than perfect internet, I've been able to take some econ classes during my Peace Corps service that I then listed on my applications to supplement my undergraduate coursework and show that I was serious about getting the quant under my belt (since I applied to quant-heavy programs).

Lemme know if you have any more questions! I think as long as you pull up the GRE scores and spend time on your apps, you've got a good shot at a solid school. :)

Aja

Applied: Princeton WWS MPA, Harvard HKS MPP, UC Berkeley GSPP MPP, U Michigan FSPP MPP, Duke Sanford MPP, Syracuse Maxwell MPA
Accepted: Syracuse Maxwell MPA, Duke Sanford MPP (full ride+stipend), U Michigan FSPP MPP (full ride+stipend), Berkeley GSPP MPP (1 yr tuition+$5k), Princeton WWS MPA (full ride+stipend), Harvard HKS MPP
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Also applied: Pickering Fellowship, Rangel Fellowship

Decision: Princeton WWS+Rangel Fellowship WOO-WHOO! #gETatMe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users