Research

greenfan

Depends on a number of factors.

First, are you taking it for credit? If so, the number of hours of credit you're taking usually determine the number of hours you should work in the lab. My general rule of thumb for the undergrads working with me is 2-4 hours of research per week for each credit hour you take.

Second, are we talking about during the summer or during the semester? Most of the undergrads working with me work significantly more hours in the summer than they do during the semester.

The area of chemistry you're in also plays something of a factor, I'd say, as does whether you have a project of your own, and what year you are.

Edited by Eigen

• 2 months later...

It's about the same at my university, where a 3-hour independent study class means 13-16 hours of research, with more if you're especially interested. During summers, I've worked 40 hours per week (OK, 45-50 but I put 40 on my timesheet), but I know REU students who worked about 20 and still got a good project completed by the end of the summer. By the way, I only know about P-Chem and atmospheric chemistry.