Biology PhD Fall 2009 applicants

Astaroth

Berkeley said they make their decision within a few days, I just hope they also send news of it that quickly. I wasn't sure if other schools that had multiple interview weekends waited until all the prospectives had visited or if they made announcements as time went on... Guess I'll see soon enough. First interview is Fri/Sat.

Ah, should have suspected it was you :)

Nope, not heard back from any more. I'm not worried though because from what I gather schools tend to sort out US students first and then move on to international students, which is a much bigger task. I don't really expect to hear from any schools till later this month, if not next month. I don't mind that they're delaying a bit, means I won't get caught up in this horrible winter they've been having in the northeast if invited to interviews! (wishful thinking there, see how i assumed i will be getting invitations)

I also just got an invitation from MIT, which was nice to hear. I'm not sure if I'll go on the interview or not though... Not that many faculty members do work that really interests me.

then why on earth would you apply there? I bet a lot of people in your subject would have liked the spot...

I applied because at the time my interests were slightly different than they are now... And because I've gotten a bunch of interviews at schools that are much more appealing to me than MIT. And, really, I can only interview at so many schools before my PI has a problem with me taking so much time off...

I'd appreciate any comments on my profile, especially as to what role people think my GPA (which is low) will play in it.

I'm applying to systems biology programs to focus on understanding the role of self organization in biological structures.

GPA: 3.3 (Biology w/ focus in cell bio / genetics)

GRE: Q: 800 (94%), V: 640 (91%), W: 6.0 (97%)

Research Experience: 4 years in medical school lab. Half year in pharmaceutical bioresearch lab (corporate). Half year in biofuels research lab. (I worked in more than one lab at a time in some cases).

Papers: 1 published, 2 in manuscript form (under review)

Awards: Two fellowships. Working on an NSF grant.

Applied:

MIT

UCSD

WashU

Emory

Albert Einstein

UMass Medical School

University of Washington Seattle

Interviews:

Albert Einstein

UMass Medical School

Accepted:

None

Rejected:

None

Will be interesting to compare how an international student with a 3.3 (me) and an american with a 3.3 do. I think that it probably hampers my application but you should have less of a problem because I'm competing with a lot more people for much fewer places.

Undergrad GPA: 3.2

Biology/Chem

MS GPA: 3.7

Cognitive Neuroscience

GRE: 760Q/630V/5W

4 years lab experience biology

coauthor on 3 proceedings papers

4 co-posters

2 yrs TA

Applied:Harvard (longshot but I had a meeting with a lab there), UC Irvine, Baylor college of Med., UT San Antonio

Invited:Baylor College Med

Accepted:

Rejected?

Not sure if it's any of the people who have posted in this thread, but I see that someone has an interview with Arizona State from the results page. Any other info you can give? I have a feeling this means an implied rejection for me, especially since their recruitment days are coming up soon.

Hi deipnosophistry, did you apply to the general Biology program at Duke? If so... any news there yet?

Yeah, I applied to Duke Biology. My prospective advisor has said he will send word once the admissions committee has made a decision, and as I haven't heard from either him or the admissions director, I'm tempted to believe they're still reviewing applications.

Not sure if it's any of the people who have posted in this thread, but I see that someone has an interview with Arizona State from the results page. Any other info you can give? I have a feeling this means an implied rejection for me, especially since their recruitment days are coming up soon.

I had assumed an implied rejection when I saw someone with an ASU invite on the results board, but looks like I just received mine a few days later. I'm quite (pleasantly) surprised.

I had assumed an implied rejection when I saw someone with an ASU invite on the results board, but looks like I just received mine a few days later. I'm quite (pleasantly) surprised.

Congrats!

Bioinformatics programs need to get off their butts and send out some invites or acceptances or something! I feel like I'm the only bio here not hearing anything!

For anyone who has applied to MIT and hasn't heard back yet: My housemate just called them to ask about her status and was told that if you haven't received an invitation to an interview by now, whether you are domestic or international, you can assume that you have been rejected. They will send out rejections soon.

:cry:

I recently found the Grad Cafe, and it's been incredibly addictive!

My stats:

American student

BS in Biological Sciences, BA in History from NC State (graduated in December)

3.93 GPA

General GRE scores: V: 680 (96%), Q: 710 (74%), W: 5.5 (90%)

Subject test GRE (Biochem): 510 (70%)

No papers yet, presented at a conference

Research experience: 2.5 years

Applied to:

Harvard Med (BBS)

Rockefeller

UofChicago (Molecular Biosciences)

Cornell (Molecular Biology and Genetics)

Penn State (Biochem and Mol Bio)

UofWisconsin (Mol Bio)

Berkeley (Mol and Cell Bio)

UofWashington (Genome Sciences)

Accepted:

None

Invited to Interview:

UofChicago

Cornell

Penn State

UofWisconsin

Berkeley

UofWashington

Rejected:

Wisconsin (I turned down their interview offer)

I'm going insane waiting to hear from Harvard and Rockefeller. I assume I've been rejected, but it'd be really nice to know for sure. Does anyone know if they're still inviting people for interviews?