Biology PhD Fall 2009 applicants

Astaroth

Hm... I didn't get any red flags at my interview weekend, but we were hardly a crowd (about 12 people). The students seem very intense and science-y, and are as satisfied as any other grad students I've ever seen. It rained on my weekend, so we didn't walk outside too much. The rumor is that Caltech undergrads are really odd (no offense to any reading), but the grad students seemed normal enough. I didn't hear about any funding problems or layoffs, except the common knowledge that 2-3 neuroscience faculty are leaving, rendering the neuroscience sector a bit on the limp side. This was the biggest complaint that I heard from the other prospective students there. I'm sure they'll have no problems hiring more young faculty, though. I myself am not in neuroscience, so it doesn't really bother me.

Got accepted and will be going to UVM! Getting funded with a TAship for tuition, health and $20k stipend. Truly a dream come true! I have not actually accepted the offer yet, for some reason even though I really am 100% sure I want it, I wanted to give it 24 hours before replying. I have no idea what the benefit of that is but it just seemed prudent to take advantage of the fact that I have 2 weeks to reply even to the smallest extent.

Thanks for being there through all the hard times, TGC.com!

Got accepted and will be going to UVM! Getting funded with a TAship for tuition, health and $20k stipend. Truly a dream come true! I have not actually accepted the offer yet, for some reason even though I really am 100% sure I want it, I wanted to give it 24 hours before replying. I have no idea what the benefit of that is but it just seemed prudent to take advantage of the fact that I have 2 weeks to reply even to the smallest extent.

Congrats! I've been following your story on both the GC and CC fora. I'm glad everything worked out, and best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats, i have been following your story, good news to my ears.

about me:

BS biochem from State University of New York

GPA 3.5, w/ honors. major GPA 3.4

GRE, 300s verbal, 700s quant, %20s on essay ( * s word)

applied to :

UVM Biochem phd and RIT Bioinfo MS

accepted: RIT

( i dont know why i didnt apply to more, im always learning things the hard way i guess)

• 4 weeks later...