5-year Deadline?

Lexie05

So, in general GRE scores are good for 5 years. Does this mean that I would have to apply to grad programs by September 2016 if I take the Sept. GRE this year? Would I be able to use these scores if I submitted applications in October or November of 2016? Sorry if this seems like an obvious question.

technically yes, as this is the widely held belief. but put yourself in your professors' shoes and ask the question - do i really want to take a student who is showing gre scores 5 years old? my advice to you is don't worry about something that's some 5 years down the road. if you want, you can start preparing for it now, or few years later.

why do you want to take gre now and report it 5 years later anyway?

Honestly, I am taking it because of the 50% discount. I am firmly committed to pursuing a Ph.D. after gaining work/more research experience. I figured that the scores are good for 5 years, so why not? Do POIs really look down on older scores?

Bump. Are older scores generally looked upon less favorably? Why would this be? I'm not being contrarian; I would just like to know whether it would make me seem uncommitted or whether the scores would be viewed as not representative....

I took it before they changed it (in July at the last possible moment) and I am planning to use it if I apply to schools in the next 5 years. From my perspective, it's not like I am going to get any "less intelligent" in that time frame. I took it so that I will have it on hand when I apply. I would think they are valid within the 5-year window from the date you took it - so if you take it September 2011, they would "expire" September 2016. I would go by application deadlines. If the submissions deadline is after September 2016, I guess you would have to take it again.

Thanks, trevortiger. That's good advice. I looked up deadlines for some of my schools, and it appears I would need to take the test again if I follow my current timeline. I'll probably still take it in case circumstances change.