Chemistry Fall 2009

cammarp

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I have kind of a dumb question- for visit weekends, if there are time slots for you to set up 8 faculty interviews, are you actually supposed to pick 8 professors to meet with, or are you supposed to pick like the top 3-4 and use the extra time as free time? I wasn't sure if there were 8 slots for our benefit of meeting a variety of professors or for the professor's benefit of meeting as many students as possible. The specific program I'm asking about is UNC, if anybody else has made plans to visit this school. Thank you!

I sent in my application before Christmas I believed

the same here more or less. i was admitted at UNC but i am still waiting for Penn and Northwestern. this whole admission thing is a mystery to me- meaning i heard from UNC but you have not but you were admitted at Penn and Northwestern and i have not heard from them. hmmmmm...

Hey, I have kind of a dumb question- for visit weekends, if there are time slots for you to set up 8 faculty interviews, are you actually supposed to pick 8 professors to meet with, or are you supposed to pick like the top 3-4 and use the extra time as free time? I wasn't sure if there were 8 slots for our benefit of meeting a variety of professors or for the professor's benefit of meeting as many students as possible. The specific program I'm asking about is UNC, if anybody else has made plans to visit this school. Thank you!

i was a little unsure too. i just added as many professors as i could- i guess 8 i don't really remember. i think that was the right thing. when are you visiting UNC?

the same here more or less. i was admitted at UNC but i am still waiting for Penn and Northwestern. this whole admission thing is a mystery to me- meaning i heard from UNC but you have not but you were admitted at Penn and Northwestern and i have not heard from them. hmmmmm...

yeah I agreed with you. However, I'm an international student enrolling at an american college, so they may have different policies for me. Especially with UNC, they made me submit my app at the end of november which was much earlier than other applicants.

i was a little unsure too. i just added as many professors as i could- i guess 8 i don't really remember. i think that was the right thing. when are you visiting UNC?

Okay, thanks! I'm visiting the weekend of March 27-29, how about you?

Some people have listed on the results page that they got accepted/rejected over the phone. Did you guys call professors and get told politely your result or did you call the admissions office? Most of their websites say they will not give out that information over the phone. The waiting is driving me crazy!

Some people have listed on the results page that they got accepted/rejected over the phone. Did you guys call professors and get told politely your result or did you call the admissions office? Most of their websites say they will not give out that information over the phone. The waiting is driving me crazy!

I received a call without ever having called first. If you do call, I doubt they will give you any information, as the websites say.

I tried with Columbia a week ago. I didn't reveal my name, but they said they can't release the decision over phone, and told me to wait. Fortunately, 1 day later, I received the acceptance letter from them. It's true that they won't tell you over phone unless they call you.

March 13-15. is UNC your first choice?

I actually don't really have a preference right now... I applied to 4 schools that I pretty much like equally, and I've been accepted to 3 so far, so I'm hoping the visit weekends will help me make a decision!

When do you think is appropriate to give up on a school? I'm still really, really hoping to hear back from Berkeley...but their visit weekends are in mid-March, and it's already mid-February. :(

I would give it till the end of Feb to the beginning of March. It's a busy year for all these schools. Who knows, a letter might be in the mail as we speak. I'm also waiting to hear back from Berkeley, but I'm not a California resident or American citizen so my prospects don't look that great.

I got an email from berkeley.they said we can call them on the 16th to ask about the admission decision.

Wow. I still haven't received any news from them, I guess that they've already reviewed your file. Duncandam, would you mind me asking whether you are an American in-state resident or international? Thanks.