What are some good summer programs in the geosciences?

InquilineKea

So I just went to http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/UHNAI/CASS2011/, and it was definitely one of the highlights of my life (although a few other participants disagreed =P).

So what are some other good summer programs/workshops? I'd prefer those that are free and that are intense on either journal article discussions/research discussions or on computer simulations.

And those that take those in between college and grad school.

• 4 months later...

There are quite a few summer/research programs, depends on you area of interest. For example, there is this famous one, really intense competitive one called Geophysical Fluid Dynamics program in WHOI every year. Its well funded if you get selected and is designed in a way that it can be the starter of a PhD thesis, or at least can lead to a publication. It a 10-week program.

Other ones might not be as consistent as this (that is on a year-to-year basis), and again, this depends on specific topics, like data assimilation (there was one in OSU a couple of years ago), a turbulence one I think in Standford, and others around, like in Boulder, even in UW (specially in modeling)...

Came across this, thought I'd share http://www.mbl.edu/e..._brochure12.pdf

I SOOOO want to do that. But don't think I'd be able to (see below).

UH also has a summer program in marine microbiology, if I remember correctly. I have connections there, but since I'm going to be at sea much of the summer I don't think I can squeeze it in.

UH also has a summer program in marine microbiology, if I remember correctly. I have connections there, but since I'm going to be at sea much of the summer I don't think I can squeeze it in.

Cruise + C-MORE course would definitely be masochistic. The cruise might be better than the summer course! (Depending on where you're headed, and on the ship, heh.)

How does the tutition for the summer courses work? Does one's advisor usually foot the bill?

Cruise + C-MORE course would definitely be masochistic. The cruise might be better than the summer course! (Depending on where you're headed, and on the ship, heh.)

Yeah. I figure I'd learn more from the cruise, anyway. (We're collaborating with various C-MORE people, anyway, so it wouldn't be unthinkable for me to get one-on-one instruction from several of the course organizers.)

How does the tutition for the summer courses work? Does one's advisor usually foot the bill?

Some do, some don't. At MyU, the grad advisor tends to pay summer tuition anyway (though it's all research credits for me), so it's conceivable that I could convince Dr. Hand-Waver to pay an equivalent amount towards a summer course at UH instead.

Yeah. I figure I'd learn more from the cruise, anyway. (We're collaborating with various C-MORE people, anyway, so it wouldn't be unthinkable for me to get one-on-one instruction from several of the course organizers.)

Cool! Will this be your first cruise?

Totally not applicable for you, Inqy, but others may benefit. Friends have done these and I've heard wildly awesome reviews:

Geophysics

SAGE - Geophysics course in New Mexico

Oceanography

UW's Friday Harbor courses - lots of biology, but that's good for geobio/paleontology peeps

Geobiology

Summer course in Wyoming, Colorado, and California

Hydrogeology

U of Minn's Field Camp for Hydrogeology

Cool! Will this be your first cruise?

Nope. First was last month. There will be one, maybe two in the spring. The summer one will be 3-4 weeks, so probably worth more than the others combined in terms of research data.

I've taken a course (not a summer course) from one of the instructors on this one. Knowing his personality, I can guarantee that you will have lots of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the International Summer School at the University of Exeter, UK.. It was a decent trip on the whole.. I didn't get to learn a whole lot (It was on climate change), but meeting a lot of people from different places was quite interesting.. And I got to see UK, so that was good.. :)