Are You In your field?   82 votes

1. 1. Are you in your field?

• Yes, and I love it!
    • Yes, and I hate it!
    • No, and I wish I was!
    • No, and I'm fine with that!
    • Other (Explain below)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Posted

So, you've graduated! Now what, indeed?!

Did you land in your field upon leaving? What degree level do you hold? Will you go back for more?

If you are not in your field, do you like where you are, or will you keep working to get in to your field?

How's the pay?

Posted

Yes, and I love it!...........

Posted

Nope, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Posted

Well I'm not and I guess I don't mind.

AMA

TAFE

Posted

I work in the field that I learn from school.It is my profession to do this job.If have enough funds ,I will start a company to do international company to earn more .

Posted

yup, but a different branch than what I want to end up in. I'd rather not be direct car the rest of my life!

Posted (edited)

I finished an undergrad in Human Rights. I am now working full-time at NGO/Charity that has a focus on human rights education. The only thing is that the position that I hold is not very related to my degree. I like to say I am an accountant by day and activist by night. Also, I am a Board of Director (which is an unpaid position) with a peace activist organization. I am happy to be working in my feild and get paid for it, but the position itself could be better. The pay is OK. Considering that I work in the not for profit feild - it's not bad for entry level.

Edited by tiffanyamber81

Posted

• I didnt expect to get a job in my field when I graduated with a BA in Anthropology, but I did expect to be atleast working in a not for profit (did an internship at a not for profit and have a bunch of other volunteer experience) or people focused organization or something where I atleast be proud of the organization I work for and what they are doing in the world. NOPE. After I graduated I spend 8 months unemployed and even though I did volunteer as an intake worker at a local food bank, I eventualy l found work as a temp doing odd admin jobs around Toronto. I GUESS I would say Im satisfied with my job at this stage, becuase I learned a lot from it, and it could be worse (spend 5+ in retail and vowed never to go back). I guess its better than having no job at all!!
  • I am not planning on going back to school, for Social Work. Have already been accepted to George Brown and am waiting to hear back from York.
  • Now, I wouldnt say that there are NO jobs right now, because when I was unemployed I was cosntantly applying to jobs and going on interviews. But the fact is that there are not enough entry level jobs, and WAY too many people applying for the same ones. So its really competetive...
  • My advice to recent grads is to get back to school ASAP or stay in school if you can. Unless you are a mature student who already has substantial work experience under your belt, or are going to school for a trade...things are pretty rough right now in the real world! Better to ride it out... school will only get more expensive, so you might as well do it all now!

Posted (edited)

Did you land in your field upon leaving?

Nope. I TAd all the way through my MA coursework years, and then I ran out of funding and decided to work full time while writing my thesis. I've been working this job since I started my thesis hours, and I'm still here after graduation.

What degree level do you hold?

MA.

Will you go back for more?

No. I'm really glad I took this job when I did because the job market in my academic field has not improved at all since then. The chances of me getting a job as a professor in my field were always slim, and by 26 I'd decided it wasn't worth it and it was time to go down a different path.

If you are not in your field, do you like where you are, or will you keep working to get in to your field?

I'm happy where I am. I'm working at a university, but nothing to do with teaching or research. I get to be in an academic environment every day and be around researchers and faculty, and sometimes I even get to discuss my field at work. But I don't have to teach and I don't have to research, so I feel as though I have the best of both worlds.

How's the pay?

The pay is okay and, hopefully, will get better soon. I couldn't handle the insecurity of a TA salary any longer, and I've no intention of going back to that kind of wage again. While I don't make a lot of money, I make the same salary every month, and reliably. That is very important for financial stability.

Edited by plastic_enthusiast

Posted

Hi , yes i a in my field ,my aim is to be a good software engg and i achieve it.

Posted

Ironically, yes, but not in any job position I knew existed before I went to school for my degree ;)  Which proves there really is something to be said for getting a skill set, even if you don't have a plan.  Having a plan is better though!

Posted

Education: University of Chicago (MA Philosophy and Humanities)

Employment: Office Max (Sales Consultant)

Graduation was the worst day of my life.

Posted

I worked at OfficeMax too... Left recently after three years and a decision to pursue more schooling! Best of luck.

Posted

That is seriously messed up if you are still working there.

Posted

Graduated with a masters in neuroscience and teaching physics/biology/chemistry at the hs level and loving it. I am going back for PhD though in my field. So I voted other. No regrets on teaching but I miss neuroscience too much. I think if you really want to be in a field than you can make it work. 

Posted

I 'm not in my field, but I don't regret with it, at least, until now...

Posted

Question: what if you could create your own career and apply what you have been learning in varsity in real life situations, would you take it?

Posted

graduated with a chem eng degree. I can't believe how much of my degree I DON'T use. The courses I took in college weren't too interesting to begin with. I don't think I'm best suited to be an engineer. Not saying I can't be a good one, just saying I would probably be a better scientist/researcher

Posted

I earned my MBA and ended becoming an ARMY medic.

Posted

Yeah I'm definitely in my field, but I would have been anyway if I hadn't gone to grad school. My undergrad degree was in the same field as well.  

With that said, now that I've been working here and there, I realize getting my MFA has really helped out in a way I never would have thought before. I turn a lot of heads (with Headhunters) because of it. So why do I still feel regret for jumping into grad school so soon? I'm hoping that with time, as I build up experience, better and much more creative opportunities will pop up. To any recent graduates, I recommend enrolling in a few community college courses to flex your skills and to gain some new ones. I guess it's not so bad I got a degree, but I can't help but feel like my degree was a mistake sometimes. 

Posted

Question: what if you could create your own career and apply what you have been learning in varsity in real life situations, would you take it?

I definitely would.

Posted (edited)

Degree: M.S. Experimental Psychology, emphasis in Human Factors and Ergonomics

Graduated: December 2013

Current Occupation: Dishwasher

I've lost track of how applications I've submitted in the last three months. All I know is that it's well over 100. Not a single call. I had an interview with Apple in October, but that's the only tip-off I've had that someone is interested in my skills. I wasn't expecting to get a job quickly, but had no idea that it'd be this bad. 

Edited by dmacfour

Posted

I've lost track of how applications I've submitted in the last three months. All I know is that it's well over 100. Not a single call. I had an interview with Apple in October, but that's the only tip-off I've had that someone is interested in my skills. I wasn't expecting to get a job quickly, but had no idea that it'd be this bad. 

I am officially paranoid about going to grad school now.

I wish you the best of luck, you will find something soon.

Posted

As far as I understand and have always been told, a Master's degree in experimental psychology is most commonly a stepping stone to a PhD program and very rarely leads to a career in the field. I was VERY lucky to land a paid research position after my MA (after teaching and barely making any money for a few semesters), but it is grant based and not a permanent position which is why I'm going back for a phd.