Reentering US with visa waver program

Hello,

I'm a new PhD student who just entered the US with an F1 visa.

I have a short trip to Canada planned(already payed and everything!)

before semester begins, but I just discovered that the university has to add

additional endorsements to my I-20 for me to reenter US.

(Or to leave at all? I'm not sure...)

However, I think my ESTA visa waver program I requested for the visiting weekend

is still valid, so I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to go on the

trip to Canada and reenter into the US using the visa waver program.

I couldn't find the answer to my question in the embassy FAQ pages,

so I'm wondering if I should just cancel the trip or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!

few of my friends have done this on their trip to mexico and back, but they also took their i20s with them... just to be on the safe side. and i recommend that you do the same. the additional endorsement is nothing but a signature and new time stamp from your international center and shouldn't take more than few minutes to get. but, given that the semester hasn't started yet, they might need to change the 'enter US no later than' date, or something similar. it shouldn't take more than a day to make the change, imo. but whatever you do, please follow the rules and guidelines as directed by your international center. we int'l students have a LOT of rules to follow and one slippage could lead to disaster.

If you enter on the VWP that means that you're entering on a B1/B2 tourist visa. You are not allowed to study, work or remain in the US for more than 3 months on this visa. You must enter on the F1 visa in order to be allowed to do those things. If you study on the tourist visa you're essentially breaking immigration law and risking your education. That's assuming they even let you back in, if you tell the immigration officer that you're entering the US to go to grad school on a tourist visa. Get your I-20 endorsed - it's just a signature, it shouldn't take you more than 3-4 days to obtain, even for the most disorganized ISO - don't enter the US on the wrong visa!

ETA: "work" = as a TA or otherwise on campus as per the requirements of the F1 visa.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

It seems I must cancel my Canada trip... I guess I shouldn't gamble with my visa status... *sniffle*

(But just to clarify, my 'enter US in no later than' date is still somewhat far off. It would still be too dangerous right?)

Again, thank you bhikhaari, kalapocska and fuzzylogician!

You guys may have prevented me from being stranded in Canada!

As long as you have updated endorsement on your i20 and use that to reenter the States (with a valid F1 visa), you will be perfectly fine. The 'enter US in no later than' date usually has no bearing on you reentering the country, except your very first time... if I recall correctly, you can't enter the US more than 2 months in advance, and of course, can't enter after that date has passed.

Sorry to hear that you had to cancel the trip. Hope you make it next time!

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

It seems I must cancel my Canada trip... I guess I shouldn't gamble with my visa status... *sniffle*

(But just to clarify, my 'enter US in no later than' date is still somewhat far off. It would still be too dangerous right?)

I'm not sure why you think you need to cancel your trip -- as long as your visa and I20 are valid, all you need to be able to go on your trip is a signature on your I20. It's not difficult to obtain. The 'enter the US no later than' date is only relevant the first time you enter, not later on. The signature itself is valid for one year (6 months for Canada and Mexico) and getting it is standard operating procedure for all international students who go abroad - it's nothing to worry about and certainly not something to cancel a trip over. Go over to your ISO on Monday, verify with them what you need to do to stay in status and get than signature. Don't cancel your trip unless they tell you that you have to do that for some reason (they won't, there's no reason).