Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

So I just handed in all my application and supplementary materials!!! I'm so nervous. I special requested my study abroad adviser to spend the money to send it overnight rush delivery. Now it's just waiting for a couple months. Meanwhile, it's time to work on the Gilman and other smaller scholarships! I applied for both the summer and yearlong Boren, so hopefully my hard work for will finally be paid off.

Hope everyone who's been treading the forum great luck in these upcoming months. :)

So I just handed in all my application and supplementary materials!!! I'm so nervous. I special requested my study abroad adviser to spend the money to send it overnight rush delivery. Now it's just waiting for a couple months. Meanwhile, it's time to work on the Gilman and other smaller scholarships! I applied for both the summer and yearlong Boren, so hopefully my hard work for will finally be paid off.

Hope everyone who's been treading the forum great luck in these upcoming months. :)

Don't get sad if you don't get the Gilman... I didn't get it, and cried my eyes out thinking, well, if the Boren is the more prestigious one of the two, then I won't get the Boren! But I did get it!

Congrats on getting your materials all submitted! It sure is a great feeling!

I am working on the Gilman and some otheres too, but the next couple months waiting to hear about the Boren will have me on edge!

Goodluck everyone!

I want to give a HUGE thanks to RiverGuide!!! He has been immesnly helpful during this ENTIRE application process, he has spent god only knows how many hours reading my essays as well as giving me feedback. I had not received much feedback from my insitution on my essays, until recently, so having River there to help was greatly appreciated! So in the future, if you need anyone to read your essays, River is the guy! He also happens to be very knowledgable with the Boren application process.

THANKS!

Don't get sad if you don't get the Gilman... I didn't get it, and cried my eyes out thinking, well, if the Boren is the more prestigious one of the two, then I won't get the Boren! But I did get it!

Really?! That's surprising since we assume the Gilman would be easier! I hope everything goes well with the Boren. Do you have any advice on the Gilman of what to do or what not to do? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I applied to both the summer and academic year Boren scholarships! Boren sent me an email (I almost died) saying that I can only apply for one program, and that they are giving me a chance to change my academic year program essay if I want to by Friday. I don't know if this is a good sign or not.

• 2 weeks later...

From last year's thread, it seems as though some people will receive email update requests in a few weeks. Good luck to all!

I applied to the NSF DDIG and the Boren Fellowship so I hope I get one of them. I'm just worried that even though I have intermediate language proficiency in my area (or did a few years ago), I plan on having 20 hrs of tutor instruction per week rather than classroom based instruction. If I don't get it, I really feel like this is what killed it bc I think the other parts of my app are compeitive.

So if we don't get the "email update request" then we can assume we are "NOT" moving on further?

I think getting the request means you've moved to the national stage but if you don't get the request - it's highly likely you're not going to get the fellowship but there is still a very slim chance.

As far as I know there was no one from last year who didn't receive the early email that received a Boren. Aslo, if you receive the email and you are not picked but are an alternate, there is still a reasonable chance that you will later be picked and that happened to several people.

collegemom82 - I just saw your message...I'm trying to not think about the Boren thing as I'm already super nervous so I've stayed away from this forum unless I thought there'd be something to see new that would not give me an ulcer. So, in answer to your question, I am hoping to study Arabic in Jordan. I'm going if I get the funding or not, but it'll be so much harder. I've already bought my ticket and am accepted into my program. We have plans in place to have my husband and children be ok while I'm gone for the year. I am so excited, though, regardless of how this scholarship plays out. I have been working towards this trip for two years.

What are you studying?

And has anyone got their email about more financial information yet? I saw part of that about threw up because I hadn't seen anything.

Monica -

My program is through Qasid in Sports City Amman :-) I am going regardless of the Boren as well (plus I have applied for other scholarships, and am in the process of applying for others). The Boren would make things MUCH more comfortable financially.

Let me get this straight, you are proposing to study Arabic in Amman, and you also have a spouse and children? I am married as well, and have two daughters! They will be going with me, which I am very excited about!! I VERY rarely meet another parent who is studying abroad!

You should add me on Skype: delecia.meza

What program did you apply to? I have looked at many others but they were not very "kid friendly", which is okay, but the program at Qasid seemed like the perfect fit for my family and I!!

Delecia

Monica - regarding your housing question: Qasid will help to arrange housing for me. I can put in a request (once we get closer). Ideally I would like to get an apartment within walking distance of the school, which sounds completely reasonable from what I have heard!

Monica -

My program is through Qasid in Sports City Amman :-) I am going regardless of the Boren as well (plus I have applied for other scholarships, and am in the process of applying for others). The Boren would make things MUCH more comfortable financially.

Let me get this straight, you are proposing to study Arabic in Amman, and you also have a spouse and children? I am married as well, and have two daughters! They will be going with me, which I am very excited about!! I VERY rarely meet another parent who is studying abroad!

You should add me on Skype: delecia.meza

What program did you apply to? I have looked at many others but they were not very "kid friendly", which is okay, but the program at Qasid seemed like the perfect fit for my family and I!!

Delecia

I am doing the CIEE program, and am NOT at this point anyway bringing my family with me. My oldest son is autistic, he's finally doing a little better. Change is hard anyway, and there isn't the same choices for a special needs kid. In addition, I two other children, and a husband with a career. We own our house, and with the unrest...we just wanted me to look and see before we brought everyone out, if we did at all. My program initially was not really flexible about bringing my family but eventually, they changed their mind. I'm doing the intensive language program, and so I'm going to be really stressed about time too. As much as I will miss my little distractions, it's not that long of a time, and then I'm done, I'll have graduated, and can move on with my life.

Because I am married, they recently told me the family stay is out...I also have to get an apartment. This should be interesting. :)