Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

I'm with yah, snowblossom2, but still having high hopes. Thanks for still using this venue to communicate

Last year's forum has two posts on May 28th from alternates saying they ended up getting a Boren...I'm definitely still checking in here for updates... :)

Last year's forum has two posts on May 28th from alternates saying they ended up getting a Boren...I'm definitely still checking in here for updates... :)

Glad to hear Water28. Too bad I'll still be leaving for my research on May 26th, ha

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - I spoke with someone on the phone and they said alternates *should* start hearing back as early as two weeks from now...

I'm just curious snowblossom2, what would you do if Boren doesn't extend an acceptance to you? What are your back-up plans? I'm sure a lot of people would like to know. :)

I also applied to the NSF DDIG and was asked to revise and resubmit my application in July and will hear back from them in November. That would pay for my third trip in Jan, but if I don't get it, I'll pay out of pocket (my advisor also said he might have some research funds to help me). For my summer trip, if I don't get the Boren, I received some summer funding/grants from my school that will cover my airfare and one month of housing, the rest will be paid out of my pocket (grad stipend). Not much choice other than paying for it myself since its for my dissertation :)

Good luck to you kbui and the rest of the awardees! I guess I should consider myself lucky to be an alternate - it seems as if the vast majority of everyone plans on having a government career, whereas I said I would fulfill my service requirement by teaching classes at the intelligence college or one of the military colleges!

• 2 weeks later...

So excited right now!!! I just got an email to notify me that I am being offered a Boren Fellowship - upgraded from alternate :) They want to confirm that my plans for language study are appropriate but I do not think this will be an issue. It seems that all of my hard work has paid off after all!

Good luck to all of the other alternates!

• 1 month later...

i recently had my status upgraded from alternate to fellow. paperwork came through about 3 weeks ago. had to submit new budget and travel dates, but they've been approved. just thought i'd contribute for others.

istanbul, IR, 12 months, language/research

good luck to all future and current applicants

• 2 weeks later...