Boren 2012-2013

DanielJones

Hey everyone,

I haven't checked in here for a while! I'm currently a Boren scholar with the CIEE program here in Jordan so if anyone has program-specific questions feel free to post here/PM me as well. Good luck on all of your applications.

P.S. - Don't listen to riverguide, he's clueless. About everything.

Will, you only say that 'cause you know me. Sorry I couldn't figure out how to bail you out of that jail in Gaza...

PS: That restaurant you recommended in Amman was awesome!

Edited by riverguide

Hi all!

I'm a Scholarship applicant for academic school year 2012-2013. Senior, Business major looking to go to law school after doing this for one year(hopefully???)

I'm applying to study Mandarin in China. This whole financial updates thing is making me extremely nervous! Are we past the time for them to be sending those out, or not yet? My best friend and previous Boren Scholar received one, and she was awarded the scholarship, but she keeps telling me hers came out earlier in March. I asked my campus rep and she said she doesn't know of additional notification at all between submission and decision dates.

I'm worried because I think I tried to go too ambitiously convoluted in my essays-tied in law, environmental policy, and global business relations to national security. And thus, that it won't appeal what so ever because it makes no specific point. Also, I was born in China and lived there/spoke the language for 8 years(and subsequently forgot all about it once I immigrated here at 8), then returned during college for 4 months study abroad. However, that only counts as studying the language formally for .5 years! I wonder what they think of the disparity.

My inner cynic says its too late and I should lose the hope...

Edited by fadedsunrise

Keep the faith, Sunrise; no one else has received the financial update request yet either -from what I've read here. Your campus rep did not look at the spreadsheet from last year's Grad Cafe Boren page. Check it out. Those who received the update moved to the next tier according to the spreadsheet. I was one of those who received the financial update request and I am a Boren recipient. Worrying about something that hasn't happened yet is like paying interest on a debt you don't owe.

I'm worried because I think I tried to go too ambitiously convoluted in my essays-tied in law, environmental policy, and global business relations to national security. And thus, that it won't appeal what so ever because it makes no specific point. Also, I was born in China and lived there/spoke the language for 8 years(and subsequently forgot all about it once I immigrated here at 8),

Just poking fun: If the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, I hope you didn't tell them that you used to know Mandarin and forgot it all :)

@riverguide: Thanks, I must have missed that memo about this year's board.

@blingem: In the end I edited down the essay to just make more of a reference to the fact that I used to live there-it doesn't go into any kind of specific detail about how much I used to know. Even if I used to be all around proficient though, it was only at the 1st grade level!

I am waiting anxiously for the financial update emails to arrive. I'm sure people on here are incredibly dedicated and intelligent individuals, so I hope that we all get good news soon. And @fadedsinrise, don't lose hope yet; I'm sure you'll be just as surprised as the rest of us when those e-mails get sent out.

If we don't get a budget update request, does that mean we're not being considered anymore? This seems to be the case, but I bet there are a few rumours of people who got it without getting a request. Just mentally preparing myself for rejection, although at this point hearing anything will be a relief :)

If we don't get a budget update request, does that mean we're not being considered anymore? This seems to be the case, but I bet there are a few rumours of people who got it without getting a request. Just mentally preparing myself for rejection, although at this point hearing anything will be a relief :)

marci,

It is not absolutely certain that the receiving of the budget update request indicates that you will receive a Boren scholarship; nor does not receiving one surely indicate you won't. It's not definitive because Boren/IIE hasn't stated it outright. However, it was a theory we had last year and according to the results (see the link in riverguide's post) the facts indicate the following:

- All but 1 person who was awarded a Boren Award received the budget update request (and that person received alternate status).

- Besides that 1 person, all of those who DIDN'T receive the budget update request did not receive a Boren Award or alternate status.

Once again, we can't say what the email indicates definitively, but there's not a doubt in my mind given the information we gathered. I know it's stressful waiting, but since we're from the same school (go Devils!), let me leave you with this: ASU has lead the nation in Boren Awards for like the past 5 years. If you've put forth the effort, Dr. Burke will get you that Boren Award.

The budget update e-mail came on Friday, March 18th last year and they were asked to submit any changes by Wednesday March 23rd.

My question becomes if the 2009-2010 cycle noticed the same pattern? It seems to me that only in the 2011 cycle that the budget e-mail was important. I'm saying this only out of internet discussions I read and previous Boren scholars I talked too. But who knows..

The budget update e-mail came on Friday, March 18th last year and they were asked to submit any changes by Wednesday March 23rd.

My question becomes if the 2009-2010 cycle noticed the same pattern? It seems to me that only in the 2011 cycle that the budget e-mail was important. I'm saying this only out of internet discussions I read and previous Boren scholars I talked too. But who knows..

March 18th? So does that mean we should be clicking refresh even more rigorously now?!

Me too. I have been so nervous about this because my budget is still uncertain. I am planning to go to India and I have a few contacts, but haven't heard back from anyone at the institution I want to work at yet.

Yes!!

I am a Boren Fellowship applicant to Jordan and Tunisia. I just got THE email....at 9:16 AM PST.

Here is the text:

Thank you for applying for the Boren Fellowship.

At this time we want to make sure that you don’t have any small changes with your budget or timeline. We want to make sure the we have a clear idea the exact costs of your program (as near as you can tell at this point) and the exact dates. If you have large changes – i.e. you want to go overseas for 6 months, instead of 3, please do not send us those changes at this time.

If you have changes, please email them back to me by Wednesday, March 28th. If you are changing your budget please use the same categories as you originally used, which can be found at - http://www.borenawards.org/boren_fellowship/budget.html (you should then specifically look at the overseas and domestic guidelines).

If you have any questions please feel free to call or send us an email.

Thank you.

I am freaking out right now. I haven't gotten an email yet but hopefully it's because i applied for the scholarship and not the fellowship..does anyone know if they send out the update requests in waves or all at once? the waiting is killing me!!

Does anyone recall if all fellowships received their budget update email at once? Or was there some lag time?

If you received a budget update email, can you post the following in this thread please:

1) Fellowship or Scholarship?

2) Country & language?

3) How detailed was your budget (1 to 10)? briefly describe

Hi, I am a Fellowship applicant to Jordan and Tunisia, for roughly 10 months. My budget was very detailed, line-item description and citations of how I determined the cost estimate.

I suspect just the Fellowship notifications have gone out, and so I'm crossing my fingers that the Scholarship emails will come out soon.