SoP word limits

So I am currently reworking my SoP for one school, and they have a limit of "approximately 500 words", and so far I am going over by about 50-60 words on it. This is Columbia, and I am wondering if anyone could give input on if I should be cutting it down a bit more to get it closer to the approximate limit. Or, since it is approximate, can I get away with having that much extra essay in it.

I would guess that it should be ok. Perhaps you could trim 10 or so words but 500 word limits are always tough. I think you should be ok though.

I feel like they are asking for a lot of information to be distilled into a very small amount of space. Its not impossible, but it feels very hard when you are trying to use it as one of your few ways to show them in a new way, why you belong in that program. thanks!

It's extremely difficult. But by the time I finished turning my 800-word SOP into a 500-word essay I felt that the trimmed version said everything the longer version did - in a tighter, more precise way. I kind of regretted not going through the editing process sooner in the application season. But yes, the process itself is a serious pain.

To address your original question, the general wisdom is that up to 10% over the limit is still ok. However, you should know that some application software have you enter the text directly into their (rather primitive) editors, some have automatic word counters and some (evil) ones will cut any text that is over the limit. But then some let you submit a PDF and I doubt if anybody will take the time to count words, unless the essay is suspiciously long.

Edited by fuzzylogician

Well, I still haven't tested to see which what type of software that they use. I don't think that they haven't offically opened the application yet, but I will check on that. But they also say "apporximately 500 words", so I am assuming that they allow more then 500 words. I guess that they just eyeball the length, and don't count it against going slightly over.

The 10% rule sounds good to me.

Do you feel like going through the editing process helped you write a better SoP, or do you think that it might have hurt you a bit, because you might have left something important out? Or was it just something that you had to do for that SoP?

I only wrote the 500-word version of my SOP towards the end of my application cycle, but once it was there I used it for all my remaining apps. Most of my apps didn't have length limits so initially my essays were around 800-850 words long. For the 500 word version I did a *lot* of revising and tightening of the prose, and also chose to only discuss one of the two large projects I had worked on, which I discussed in the other essays. After that I liked the new text so much that I used it as the foundation for my remaining essays, though I did add back the discussion of the project I had to previously cut. Those versions ended up being around 600-650 words long. All my SOP versions were successful so it's hard to tell if it made a difference, but I certainly preferred the newer versions.

My experience was similar to fuzzylogician's. After having to write a 500 word version, I realized that my longer SOP (which was ~1000 words) was excessively long and that it needed to be trimmed.

To answer your question, I'd say the 10% rule sounds good to me.

So here is another question to go with this. If you have/had a 1000 word limit, did you then still go with your shorter 600-650 essay, even though you had more space to work with? I'm not doubting that it is a very good essay at that length, but at some point, do you get tempted to add one more paragraph of why you would be good for that program?

So here is another question to go with this. If you have/had a 1000 word limit, did you then still go with your shorter 600-650 essay, even though you had more space to work with? I'm not doubting that it is a very good essay at that length, but at some point, do you get tempted to add one more paragraph of why you would be good for that program?

For me, I went with a 1,000 word version for those that wanted a longer one and only used the 500 word version for the programs that asked for a 500 word limit. I found that the 500 word limit was too little for me to properly express my plans, as well as how I would fit with the program, so I happily made use of larger word limits.

Edited by newms

I can't really say since I don't remember when the deadlines were. I just looked at a bunch of my old SOPs. One was 492 words, one 610, one 1,019 words... Wait, actually. The 492 word was for a Jan 1 deadline and the 610 word one and another with 969 words were for Jan 15 deadlines (based on the file edit dates). There's another Jan 15 deadline that I submitted a 1200 word SOP to. So, no pattern to that at all. I think the length varied because I was more into some schools than others. In the longer SOPs, I outlined a project or two that I would work on.

That said, I got into all of the schools so I can't say whether the word count had an effect on that.

(As an aside, I listed 5 faculty in the SOP for the program I'm now in. Of those, three are currently on my committee and one is someone that I sometimes turn to for advice. The fifth person and I have severe personality conflicts and don't interact at all.)

If time allows, it wouldn't hurt to have a program-specific paragraph. Also, be careful of not running into the same problem before of running over the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

ugh...I have this problem too. I have two schools with 500 word limits and another school with a 400 word limit. I go over on all of them by about 80 words. I've trimmed it as much as I can and they're just gonna have to deal with it.

ugh...I have this problem too. I have two schools with 500 word limits and another school with a 400 word limit. I go over on all of them by about 80 words. I've trimmed it as much as I can and they're just gonna have to deal with it.

My guess is that they aren't going to deal with it very well. Many programs enforce word limits not only because they have hundreds of apps to sift through, but because they want to challenge you to be clear and concise. It's supposed to be difficult, and word count matters.

Remember: every aspect of your application packet counts and it only takes the tiniest slip to give adcoms a reason to bust out the "Rejected" stamp. I would avoid going more than 10% over the stipulated word count.

Edited by dimanche0829

FWIW, I agree with dimanche0829.

Due to the ongoing recession, it is very much a buyer's market. I would not give admissions committees any excuse to put my application in the 'no' pile before they gave it careful consideration. Staying within the specifications of the task.

Also, please remember the rule of thumb. There are about 250 words to a double-spaced page. If you can fiddle in small ways with the fonts and margins to get your SoP to about two pages of double spaced type, you should be GTG.

@KitKat One way to trim down a word count is to do individual proof reading passes looking for specific things. For example, use one pass to get rid of passive verbal constructions. Then make another pass to cut down on prepositional phrases. IME, such proof reading exercises can make a difference.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar concern regarding word counts. One of my schools doesn't specify the number of words, but just says "no more than two pages, double spaced." I have edited ruthlessly and am down to 2 pgs + 4 lines (approx 60 words) into the next page.

Do you think this is acceptable?

I have a similar concern regarding word counts. One of my schools doesn't specify the number of words, but just says "no more than two pages, double spaced." I have edited ruthlessly and am down to 2 pgs + 4 lines (approx 60 words) into the next page.

I have the same problem but they say "they like 3 pages double spaced" and I sent it in 3.25 pages double spaced.

In you case they clearly state "no more" so it might be a different situation.

I'd say four lines on another page would be a really noticeable "not following the directions." Like Sigaba said, I'd find ways to fiddle with margins. Additionally, If you're really close, You can try making all the spaces one font point smaller (use the find and replace feature on whatever word processor you're using). That should get you pretty close.

I'd say four lines on another page would be a really noticeable "not following the directions." Like Sigaba said, I'd find ways to fiddle with margins. Additionally, If you're really close, You can try making all the spaces one font point smaller (use the find and replace feature on whatever word processor you're using). That should get you pretty close.

The only problem with this might be a situation where you have to put it into the applications program for the paper, which might limit how much you can fiddle with these things. I have heard some people have had a problem with this.

Do most PDF readers have word count tools built in (I don't own or have access to the higher end ones)? A few of the schools I'm applying to have 1,000 word limits and I'm stuck at 1,030.

I'm thinking that 1,030 is ok unless you have to enter the text in a text box that will only accept 1000 words exactly. They won't count the number of words you have ;)

These ideas are good, but the best thing to do is to call up the admissions officer directly. Everywhere I had an issue with words/number of pages, I called ahead and spoke to the admissions officer in charge. 9 out of 10 times the person was helpful and said that these limits are there so that students don't exceed reasonable limits....AND that it was okay to go over the 600 word limit (which is ridiculously minimal in my opinion) to upto a 1,000 words. I would say that keeping it between 1,000 and 1,200 words is ideal...that's 2 pages single spaced.

I even called and asked a university where the limit was 1 and a half pages double spaced/600 words (are they nuts?) and got the green light for upto 2 pages. Point is, the person who will be dealing primarily with downloading and setting up your apps. for the admissions committee is the admissions officer, so why not run it by them first. I don't think faculty members really care, as long as the point is made.

When you go to submit a paper to Nature or Science and they give you a three page limit, are you going to ask to go 10% over or for an extra half page? No, you find a way to cut it down or it doesn't get submitted. Yes, it's painful when every sentence you write represents months of effort in the lab but it has to be done.

I guess this is word limit issue varies by discipline. I adhered to every word limit/page restriction since in public health and biomedical sciences grant submissions that go over get tossed out.

Edited by DeeLovely79

Another aspect of adhering to word limits and deadlines is establishing the authority to hold others accountable to the specifications of a task down the line when you're on the receiving end.

For example, if you're working as a teaching assistant and your students have due a two page essay on Wednesday morning, how will you feel about getting a stack of four page essays on Thursday when you have a paper of your own due the following Tuesday?