Performance Studies/Dramaturgy

eleanor

So I'm just now starting to get my shit together for applying to MA and MFA programs in Dramaturgy and Performance Studies. I graduated from Grinnell (small school in Iowa) in 2010 with a degree in Religious Studies and Gender and Women's Studies. I've basically taken the past year to really zero in on what I want to do. While I wasn't a theatre major, I did a lot with theatre and film studies when I was in undergrad. This past year, I've been working on shows and interning with companies while also making money as a nanny in NYC. I've decided that ideally a Ph.D program would be the next step for me, but all of the programs that interest me seem to require an MA before the Ph.D.

Right now, here are the programs I'm looking to apply to:

UMass-Amherst--MFA Dramaturgy

UIowa--MFA

CUNY-Brooklyn--MA

University of British Columbia--MA

UToronto--MA

and maybe UT-Austin for an MA

Right now, I'm most interested in Toronto and UBC's programs. They seem very interdisciplinary and, like, aware of film as a thing that exists, which is exciting for me as I'm really interested in how theatre is changing with the advent of digital technologies. What do folks think about Canadian programs for performance studies/theatre stuff? I know it seems weird that I'm not applying to NYU, but I can't afford the MA and they seem to only let students who have MAs into their Ph.D program.

So, my question is: what are Toronto and UBC's reputations in the larger world (hah) of theatre academia?

• 3 weeks later...

They should be fine if you only want to do an MA or MFA, but if you want to work in the United States, it's best to do your PhD in the United States.

Honestly, the best thing you can do for a master's degree if you plan to continue on to the PhD is to go to the cheapest program you can. Do well there, go to conferences, etc - but don't take on any debt. In that respect, a Canadian university might be good, but be sure to make professional contacts in the United States if you plan to return at some point.

Ah, that is good advice. I am mostly interested in the Canadian universities for financial as well as academic reasons. Good point about the Ph.D program in the U.S. though. I can cross that bridge when I get there, though. Where all are you applying?