Do you let students use laptops in discussion sections?

far_to_go

Hi everyone,

The title pretty much says it all... do you let students use laptops in your discussion sections? Why or why not?

I teach small discussion classes of around 20 students. I've previously allowed laptops, because some students prefer to read/annotate the readings on their laptops rather than printing them out. So far, it hasn't seemed to cause too much of a problem- I tend to watch the kids with laptops on rather closely to make sure they're not goofing off or creating a distraction for students around them.

Still, though, I can see a strong argument for prohibiting laptops in classrooms. It's just too easy for students to jump on Facebook.

What's worked for you?

I always did. I don't think prohibiting laptops in discussion sections is feasible, especially for a graduate student with limited 'authority'. As you say, there are legitimate uses of laptops; I'm sure you find that many graduate students themselves use them in their own classes. I prefer not to have to babysit. College students are adults, and as long as they're not disrupting the class, whatever they do is fine by me. I honestly don't care if they're on Facebook the whole time, as this will almost certainly manifest itself in their participation grade.

I've mentioned a few times on this board, though, that my experience may have been atypical, in that I was at a top university where I had great students, for the most part. Even the ones who weren't active participants were not disruptive troublemakers or anything. My most recent TA assignment was also an intermediate-level course where most, if not all, of the students elected to be there, suggesting they had at least some interest in wanting to learn.

I don't allow laptops. It's difficult to discuss things when several people have their eyes glued to the computer screen. I find that it fosters discussion NOT to allow them. Our teaching center has a bunch of information that we can reference that explains how the students aren't multitasking as effectively as they think and about how laptops allow them to sort of disengage from what's going on around them.

I've never allowed laptops, save for the last two or so weeks of class when we're workshopping. (I teach composition.) The entire class suffers if participation is crippled.

Also, I've made printing the readings out in hardcopy optional in the past, but don't anymore. Experience has taught me (and the directors of comp have confirmed the same) that they simply won't read as carefully on the screen as they will if I ask them to print and annotate.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I think I'm going to go ahead and keep permitting laptop use for now- we'll see how the semester goes. One of my colleagues has decided to ban laptop use but says she may ease up later in the semester if students argue that they would find it useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I ban laptops and cellphones. Caught with either, and the student will be asked to leave class. But with doing this, I, as the professor must really engage my students. I think no technology is tough for students at first, but then after a week or so they feel quite comfortable engaging and really conversing with each other.

I think we all have a responsibility to take our classrooms back, but we must be willing to step up and present truly innovative learning experiences.

I've never allowed laptops, save for the last two or so weeks of class when we're workshopping. (I teach composition.) The entire class suffers if participation is crippled.

Also, I've made printing the readings out in hardcopy optional in the past, but don't anymore. Experience has taught me (and the directors of comp have confirmed the same) that they simply won't read as carefully on the screen as they will if I ask them to print and annotate.

I do the same thing as you on all counts, and I also teach composition.

Simple rule for me: you can have a laptop, but if I find out you've been on Facebook or whatever, it is gone forever. We'll see how they like that (my first discussion section is tomorrow) but I think as long as I'm consistent it will be fine. Plus, I plan on making the class move around a lot, so the temptation to stray will be less I hope (as I will have ample opportunity to see the screen).

A more experienced TA suggested calling on laptop-havers to look up information if she didn't know the answer to a question, and said she got good responses - it kept people engaged.

I allow them, and I honestly don't care if the kids are on FB or checking email. I think the legitimate reasons for having one (I find printing so much kind of wasteful, I can type faster and more legibly than I can write plus I can keep my head up and my eyes on the board or projector screen as I type, they are handy for looking up information on the spot) far outweigh the rather infantilizing they-might-be-on-FB argument.

They paid for the class. They're welcome to spend the time however they please. They're adults and they have to learn about consequences some time.

I allow them, and I honestly don't care if the kids are on FB or checking email. I think the legitimate reasons for having one (I find printing so much kind of wasteful, I can type faster and more legibly than I can write plus I can keep my head up and my eyes on the board or projector screen as I type, they are handy for looking up information on the spot) far outweigh the rather infantilizing they-might-be-on-FB argument.

They paid for the class. They're welcome to spend the time however they please. They're adults and they have to learn about consequences some time.

While I agree with you in theory, I'm not doing it to be infantalizing. I used to let them use them for that exact reason: they are adults and are paying for the class. However, it became a problem because 1. It's disrespectful for me to spend my time prepping for a class if someone isn't going to pay attention 2. There isn't much note-taking happening in my composition class since it's a lot of in-class work 3. Finally, students kept complaining that they "didn't remember me going over that" or that I "didn't cover that" or all of the other excuses because they were too tempted. I honestly did it for myself because it cut down dramatically how many students complained. While they are adults, I also need my sanity and feel that it is easier to just not let them use it when they don't need it rather than have 25+ students confused about assignments, grades, lessons, etc.

Depending on seating, inappropriate laptop usage can be extremely distracting to other students as well. Plus, "they paid for the class" isn't really appealing to me: education isn't a product like a shirt which can be treated however. It is a contract between the student and the professor/university in which both are responsible for the amount of learning attained, in different ways. It's like ignoring your doctor's recommendations and saying "well, I paid for the appointment." Do that long enough and your doctor will "fire" you.

I guess I just don't feel like it's my job to nanny the behavior of a bunch of young adults. Plus, I'm not going to run after students forcing them to accept my teachings. That's not part of the contract. They can pay attention and participate, or not, and they'll get the grade they earn.

The fact that a screen just grabs the attention of others sitting nearby is a major consideration for me as well, qbtacoma. Speaking with students, I've found that they honestly appreciate having some class time when they don't have to worry about a neighbor pulling up Facebook and inadvertently distracting them, as well.

I guess I just don't feel like it's my job to nanny the behavior of a bunch of young adults. Plus, I'm not going to run after students forcing them to accept my teachings. That's not part of the contract. They can pay attention and participate, or not, and they'll get the grade they earn.

See, to me, it's more "nannying" to have to be like "if I catch you doing something else....." Instead, I just tell them they won't need it for the class so there is no point in bringing one. The end. It's never a problem.

The fact that a screen just grabs the attention of others sitting nearby is a major consideration for me as well, qbtacoma. Speaking with students, I've found that they honestly appreciate having some class time when they don't have to worry about a neighbor pulling up Facebook and inadvertently distracting them, as well.

That's a solid point, what I was thinking as well. I know that I would be distracted in that circumstance.

If I am ever in the position to teach a class and set my own rules, I certainly won't allow laptops. Electronics of any sort are highly distracting. Plus, it has been my experience that the professors who stringently enforce anti-cell phone/laptop/etc rules tend to maintain the highest authority and the most productive learning environment.

Edited by Two Espressos

If I am ever in the position to teach a class and set my own rules, I certainly won't allow laptops. Electronics of any sort are highly distracting. Plus, it has been my experience that the professors who stringently enforce anti-cell phone/laptop/etc rules tend to maintain the highest authority and the most productive learning environment.

Whilst i agree with you that laptops are distracting--i think there's little worse than someone tap-tap-tapping away on their keyboard during a seminar--i am very aware of the fact that not all students are alike, and that "stringently enforcing" a no-laptop rule could well be harmful to learning and productivity, even if it may give you "the highest authority".

Many students with learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia) find using a laptop extremely beneficial--even in a seminar, where discussion is the name of the game and taking notes isn't something that students will typically need to do (compared to, say, a lecture).

In addition to spelling and writing difficulties (which for many are such that a computer is essential for taking legible notes), many students with dyslexia also have to battle memory problems. Whereas most students may be able to remember everything discussed in a three-hour session without taking any notes whatsoever, a dyslexic student may struggle.

Similarly, if a student needs the readings in large print because of a visual impairment, this is a lot simpler to achieve on a computer screen--and is far more environmentally friendly, too (although that is really beside the point).

I think having a no-laptop policy is, on the whole, a positive thing--but above all the classroom needs to remain accessible to those with disabilities.

Whilst i agree with you that laptops are distracting--i think there's little worse than someone tap-tap-tapping away on their keyboard during a seminar--i am very aware of the fact that not all students are alike, and that "stringently enforcing" a no-laptop rule could well be harmful to learning and productivity, even if it may give you "the highest authority".

Many students with learning difficulties (for example, dyslexia) find using a laptop extremely beneficial--even in a seminar, where discussion is the name of the game and taking notes isn't something that students will typically need to do (compared to, say, a lecture).

In addition to spelling and writing difficulties (which for many are such that a computer is essential for taking legible notes), many students with dyslexia also have to battle memory problems. Whereas most students may be able to remember everything discussed in a three-hour session without taking any notes whatsoever, a dyslexic student may struggle.

Similarly, if a student needs the readings in large print because of a visual impairment, this is a lot simpler to achieve on a computer screen--and is far more environmentally friendly, too (although that is really beside the point).

I think having a no-laptop policy is, on the whole, a positive thing--but above all the classroom needs to remain accessible to those with disabilities.

Disabilities are a different issue altogether. If (hypothetically of course, as who knows if I'll ever be in a teaching position) a student (or disability services, speaking on their behalf) specifically approached me and asked to use a laptop for disability reasons, I'd allow it.

Edited by Two Espressos

Disabilities are an exception and not really what I was considering, especially since, by law, instructors MUST accommodate disabilities, so of course I would allow a student with a disability to use whatever they needed in the classroom, as I already have in the past.

• 8 months later...

Actually, laptop is good for students however for a more intense discussion it should not be allowed because you are right, students can just easily access some social media sites like Facebook or twitter which I think is unnecessary specially if you really want student to learn and have a clear focus in everything you will say. It is allowed in some ways but there should be some restrictions as well on when is the best time to use it in class.

I've always learned that the class has to "buy into" the rules you set. So, the first week would be a great time to have a class discussion on what the rules should be. My only concern about laptops is that they distract other students. I don't care if the student isn't paying attention in class or not participating -- it's their loss and it will show up in their participation grades. However, it becomes my concern when it affects other students. So, if the class decides that laptops are too distracting, then we could all agree to not use them. On the other hand, if the class prefers to have laptops and the potential distraction, then it's their choice too.

Someone else said that hard copy notes and annotating is preferred. I feel that we should be pushing for more "green" classes where possible. I email all handouts to the students or post them on the website for them to use / take notes in with their laptops (or on a separate piece of paper). The students who want a hard copy can choose to print it themselves. When I do make photocopies of things for classes, I always end up with too many (cause you don't want to leave someone out!) and it's a waste of paper, especially if the student is just going to stick it in their binder and never look at it again.

There are several post-secondary schools now that are heading towards this technology route, even issuing every single student and instructor with a laptop. There are web forums for each class and students are supposed to use their laptops during lectures to answer "clicker" questions etc. Sometimes students have electronic versions of their books that they prefer to read instead of print versions. I think it's easy for Universities to use much more paper than is necessary so any way to cut back is a good idea.

Depending on seating, inappropriate laptop usage can be extremely distracting to other students as well.

Absolutely true. As an undergrad (and a couple times as a grad, in fact), others' laptop use has been so distracting that it effectively nixed my learning for a class. Bright colors and movement from a flash game, constant scrolling through ebay? It is like a TV in the backseat of a car--maybe it doesn't effect the driver but it is crazy distracting for the person right behind you. I think it is reasonable to make folks with laptops sit at the rear of the class at least so they aren't distracting others.

The whole perception of privilege and "I paid for this so I can mass around if I want to" does not fly when it impacts others.

I'm not getting into the disabilities discussion, as this clearly wasn't what was prompting the question.

Edited by Usmivka

• 2 weeks later...

In most of my upper division course (math) they were pretty much banned. There was no reason to use them; it was highly unlikely that a student was taking notex in LaTex, so more than a few instructors have said "nope".

Depending on the course I'd say "nope" to them as well, along with cell-phone use.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I haven't started grad school yet but I'll probably be TAing. I was just thinking about it and I came up with a good solution for the argument that laptop use distracts students around you: Why don't you reserve the back row or two for laptop users? Tell students that if they're going to have a laptop they have to sit in the back row, and if they don't have a laptop they can't sit in the back row. Just an idea. That's probably what I'll end up doing.