Anyone else applying to Ed programs this year?

t_ruth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jpark, I have also applied to UCB. Are you a PhD student there?

Inspekt, I am a man:), but yeah, you are right, the majority in schools of education are women.

I got a list of top 10 grad. educ. schools from the USNews report, and applied to 6 of them :)

I have a good job and will have to sacrifice my job to go grad school, therefore I want the school I go worth to sacrifice good money etc... I am mathematician, with economics background who finds boring working in the industry.

Lots of Ed Psych folks on here! Any Ed Policy or Special Education applicants other than me?

Congrats to those who have started to hear from schools. I jumped about 5 feet in the air last week when I got an email from Harvard with the title "HGSE Application Status Update" - only to find that it was just a notification that my file was complete. Grrr...

I heard the same thing about Stanford. They have a flow chart on their website w/the order of their application process and timing, etc. It appears that the earliest they really notify is 3/1.

I also jump from those status notifications TeeDub. I had an email soliciting me for my other business w/the subject line "our committee wants you to be accepted" - it had nothing to do w/grad school, but can you imagine the heart flutters I had!?!

Inspekt and magiclogic- which program at Penn did you apply to?

TeeDub- My advisor is a HGSE grad, and he said it is not likely to get admitted there for a doctorate if you've done your MA there...does this concern you? What is your first choice?

Hi,

I am a 1st year at UCB's Policy, Organizations, Measurement & Evaluation program (Ed policy). My advisor is great & my cohort of students is great but because I became interested in economics of education, I applied to Stanford (only) this year, after discussing my interests with my advisor. I know that UCB did do interviews last year, not sure about this year.

IvyHope- I hadn't heard that. In fact, around half of the doctoral students I knew when I was there had done their masters at HGSE, and several classmates from my masters cohort have since been admitted to the doctoral program. I definitely know that I'm not a "lock" to get in there just because I'm an alum - their doctoral admissions are REALLY competitive.

Honestly, my first choice changes on a weekly basis. I'm still close with one of my profs from HGSE, and since he's one of the leading experts in the topic I plan to write my dissertation on, I feel like that might be the best place for me. I really loved the environment at HGSE, too, so it would be nice to go back. On the other hand, some of the other schools I've applied to (Vanderbilt and WashU specifically) also have people who are leading experts in the topic I plan to research - and Vandy has incredible funding. I'm originally from Texas, and my family still lives there, so I wouldn't be upset if I ended up there - great school too (though I'm a little biased because I did my undergrad there). And Stanford needs no explanation - plus, after several years on the east coast, warm temperatures are incredibly tempting!!

So really, I don't have a solid first choice - it's going to be a really hard decision if I end up getting into more than one school!

wow TeeDub, you have some pretty top-notch schools on your list there. Are you confident w/most/all of them? Have you contacted professors at all?

Must be nice to know someone where you are applying...I feel the system is really slanted against returning students who won't have those contacts, which bums me out.

I've contacted professors at every school except Stanford.

I'm somewhat confident of my chances (except for Stanford - it'll be a miracle if I get in there!). When I was making my shortlist of schools, I really only included ones that I would be really excited about attending if I got in. I have a job with great security and potential for promotion that I (usually) enjoy, and with the economy being as scary as it is, I decided it wouldn't be worth it to leave my job unless I get into a really awesome school with full funding (all of the schools I'm applying to offer full funding to everyone they admit, from what I understand). My friends think I'm crazy to even consider leaving a job like that to be, as one friend put it, "a research slave" for 5 years or so, but I'm not as passionate about what I do in my current job as I am about what I want to continue studying (special education policy).

magiclogic - my masters is in Mind, Brain, & Education (basically an interdisciplinary program where I studied neuroscience, cognitive psychology, child development, education, etc. - I focused on how neuro research can affect future education policy).

TeeDub,

Did you enjoy the MBE program? That's where I applied and am waiting to hear. Any info on the admissions process and what kind of people they take? I'm always dying for any scrap of "real" information on the program. What was the timeline like when you applied, and what was the financial aid like?

Hi all, I just joined thegradcafe.com!

If a program has rolling admissions, does anyone know how long it takes to hear back regarding whether or not you're admitted? I'm talking specifically about Penn GSE's master's program in Education Policy, and UMich's master's program in Educational Administration and Policy. Thanks so much for your help! :)

welcome! I have no idea about rolling admissions. I think it would depend on how many applicants they get and also if they try to make certain University-wide fellowship deadlines or anything like that...

Good luck!

How's everyone doing? Ready for Monday? Does anyone still have any applications left to do?

Anyone get in to/get interviewed at a school that pays for a visit?