Anyone else applying to Ed programs this year?

t_ruth

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't apply there because they don't really have an Ed. Psych program. I would have loved to apply there because my main LOR writer is now there and I imagine going there would totally rock.

Congrats to everyone who got into Berkeley! I'm jealous that you have heard from at least one school! I'm think I'm starting to annoy my family and friends with my freakouts...

Monamour - I liked the MBE program a lot, but it's pretty rigorous. I wasn't a big fan of the core course, HT100, but I hear it has improved now that Gardner isn't teaching it anymore (my advice - form a small study group for that class, it makes life SO much easier). There isn't really a "type" of person they look for when they admit - more than anything, they look for people who will bring a strong viewpoint to the cohort. It was a very diverse group my year - several people (including me) had taught before coming to HGSE. One classmate had a biology background and went on to medical school the next year. Another had a linguistics background and wanted to study how people learned languages. A few had worked in neuro research (Parkinson's, Autism, etc.). Kurt Fischer, the program head & HT100 prof, really wants people who can bring a unique perspective to the group - which makes for really interesting class discussions. MBE is usually one of the smallest (if not the smallest) program cohort at HGSE. I think we had around 30 in mine, which was great because you get to know everyone really well. I loved that we had a lot of freedom to take the courses we wanted (only 3 required courses), which allowed me to get what I wanted out of the program. Definitely keep me updated on whether you get in!

I heard via email around March 15th, and the financial aid for masters students at HGSE kind of sucks...aka I'm going to be paying off loans for that one for a LONG time!

Yes, congrats to everyone who has gotten in to Berkeley, you all are fantastic! What rock stars!

jpark, do you know how many new PhD students the professors at Berkeley take on each year for Policy and Organizations Research? I want to know in case I apply for PhD programs in the future.

And thanks for the advice, all... I found out today that I got IN to Columbia!!! WOOOOO!

Anybody else heard anything yet?

Just the one acceptance from UGA, though I have a good feeling about a couple of other schools based on completely nonsensical "signs." :)

What program did you hear from at Columbia? I applied to Anthropology and Ed. PhD....

Yes, congrats to everyone who has gotten in to Berkeley, you all are fantastic! What rock stars!

jpark, do you know how many new PhD students the professors at Berkeley take on each year for Policy and Organizations Research? I want to know in case I apply for PhD programs in the future.

And thanks for the advice, all... I found out today that I got IN to Columbia!!! WOOOOO!

For Berkeley, you are assigned a primary adviser and a secondary adviser. My faculty adviser accepted 2 people last year (or at least, she has 2 advisees in my cohort, maybe she accepted more?), with her as the primary adviser. I think that seems pretty common. My cohort is a total of 11 first year students, you can divide that by the # of faculty-- . The cohort is divided in PO (policy organizations) and QME (quantitative methods) and the faculty are pretty much split along those lines. When I say cohort, I mean students total.

Dear All:

I am so glad to find this forum to share with you the latest application status for the educational programs. I am an international student from Taiwan. I apply for several PhD programs in Education this year, including (lots of application fees, :roll:):

HGSE (Human Development and Education),

WUSTL (Education)

Penn GSE (Educational Linguistics),

TC (Instructional Technology),

NYU Steinhardt (TESOL),

Northwestern (Learning Sciences),

SUSE (Education)

Vanderbilt Peabody (Learning, Teaching, & Diversity),

UNC Chapel Hill (Educational Psychology, Measurement and Evaluation)

U. of Delaware (Literacy Education),

Rutgers GSE (Language and Literacy Education).

So far, I got only one feedback, unfortunately, a sad one, from Peabody. They told me, after my follow-up inquiry, that it was because of the great number of applications, limited slots, and the mismatch of my research interests with their faculty members. I noticed some of you have also applied for Peabody and feel curious about knowing your experience there? It seems that they have phone interviewed some lucky people already. Would you like to share with us?

From last week on, I did start checking my e-mail 10 times each day. I am so afraid that none of the programs above will offer me a place this year. If you have any personal linkage with these schools, please be kind to share with me. Or, if you hear of or receive any information from these programs, please also be kind to share. Thank you so much!

Most important of all, congratulations to those guys already accepted by Berkeley!!! It is so good to know at least there is somewhere to go at this early stage, let alone it is Berkeley!!! Hope to have some of your luck :)

welcome! I share some schools w/you, but different programs: Ed Psych at SUSE and Ed. Psych at Vandy, which is between the dept. of Psychology and Peabody.

I wouldn't be pessimistic yet! It is still very early, so no need to worry you won't have any acceptances. Would you like to share background/stats?

Hi, t_ruth:

Thank you for your reply. Here are some of my background.

Education:

Undergrad major in social work GPA 80.05 on a 100 points scale; graduate major in TESOL GPA 90.9 on a 100 points scale. Both are schools in Taiwan.

Tests:

GRE verbal 610 quantitative 770 awa 4.5; TOEFL-iBT 110

Experience:

I am currently an English lecturer at a technological university in Taiwan, since last August; university administrator for international affairs for 1 year; TA while studying in the master's program for 2 years.

Publications:

1 paper presentation in an international conference; 3 paper presentations in local conferences; 1 paper accepted in a local conference proceedings.

Male (But, I accidentally chose FEMALE on the online application form of NYU. I just noticed this stupid mistake yesterday and e-mailed them for any possible correction. Still waiting for their generous reply. I find NYU Steinhardt quite friendly and supportive.)

That's me. Nice to meet you!!! Wish us all good luck!!!

your stats look good - great that you have presentations! and your GRE is good for Ed. I don't think you have to worry about getting in somewhere unless they all have international student caps or something like that.

Hopefully we will all hear good news today (or later this week at least)!

your stats look good - great that you have a publication! and your GRE is good for Ed. I don't think you have to worry about getting in somewhere unless they all have international student caps or something like that.

Hopefully we will all hear good news today (or later this week at least)!

ed09,

your stats and background look really good, especially the gre verbal score is great considering the fact that you are an international student. I think you have pretty good chances, given the number of schools you have applied. Good luck.

Thank you for this encouragement! Yes, look forward to good news!