Anyone else applying to Ed programs this year?

t_ruth

Dear HGSE Applicants,

Today I recieved an e-mail from HGSE asking me about my preference for the 2 tracks of the master's program which I indicated I would also be interested in being considered if the Ed.D. program is not available for me. I hope it is just a simple clarification and doesn't mean I am already out of the Ed.D. selection. What do you think? Anyway, at least I think my application has been reviewed carefully. Just hope for the best.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I have a question that I hope someone may be able to answer...how reliable are the "Student Outcomes" listed on petersons.com? I am applying to a teacher education program at Teachers College, and I was (pleasantly) surprised when I saw the rather high admission rate for my prospective program. Still, I wonder how many grains of salt should I take with this...any thoughts? =P

Thanks! =)

I think the chances of gaining admission to many of the higher-ranked ed programs for MA degrees is quite high. I think Harvard, for example, accepts almost 50% of their applicants for MA degrees. However, the doctoral degree is a different story. If this (the MA) is your intention, then you should feel good about your chances, I believe.

I applied to HGSE last year and we were told on the third friday of Feb through a phone call if you get in. One of my friends received an email the following friday for rejection. So, I think it will probably be this friday that people find out, if they follow the same schedule from last year. Good luck!

:o

But, wait. I just realized that I was tailoring my response for Ed.D. students. If not, and you are applying for the Ed.M., I would not expect to hear anything back until mid-March. Good luck either way. Sorry to give you the anxiety bugs. :-/

Yeah, thank you for clarifying whether we are talking about Ed.D or Ed.M.

Hey everybody,

still silence :).

anyone applied to Boston College? Any decisions?

Also, any news from UCLA?

I applied to Boston College. Still having nothing new so far.

The e-mail from the department says that my file is in review.

Who knows normally when Boston College will notify us (Ph.D program)?

Does Anybody hear anything from TC yet?

let's cross our fingers!

Thanks for all this info--it makes me feel a bit more in control of this entire process if nothing else. One of the schools I applied to, Penn GSE had a deadline of 2/1 for the Masters in Higher Ed. Hoping to hear before mid-March but of course I have no idea. It looks like from the 2008 cycle masters students did hear as soon as late Feb. I just want all this waiting to be over! anyone have any stats on Penn GSE? How many admits for masters?

I was surprised to see a Stanford decision so early. I was under the impression that they didn't notify until March, regardless of whether it's an acceptance or rejection. Hopefully that person will get on here and tell us more!

Also, I saw on the results page that there were on-campus interviews for at least 2 Vanderbilt Peabody programs this past weekend, but my program (Leadership and Policy Studies) wasn't one of them. Does anyone know if there were interviews for all Peabody programs, or just for selected programs? Just wondering if I should go ahead and chalk that one up as a loss, or if I can continue to have some hope...haven't heard a thing from them, and the online status check hasn't changed since I submitted my app.

Hi everyone. I just received an email from a professor at Columbia. My field is Social Studies Education if that helps. His email said that I've been awarded 12 scholarship points for my first year + any assistantships that have not been decided. Does anyone know that that means (the 12 points)? I am going to email him and ask but before, I wanted to get your ideas.

Still waiting for Stanford and UNC-Chapel Hill (rejected from IU-Bloomington). Stanford is my first choice because I really want to work with Sam Wineburg, but if letters have indeed gone out, Columbia might just be the place for me. Is anyone else out there working toward history/social studies education?

Hi everyone. I just received an email from a professor at Columbia. My field is Social Studies Education if that helps. His email said that I've been awarded 12 scholarship points for my first year + any assistantships that have not been decided. Does anyone know that that means (the 12 points)? I am going to email him and ask but before, I wanted to get your ideas.

Still waiting for Stanford and UNC-Chapel Hill (rejected from IU-Bloomington). Stanford is my first choice because I really want to work with Sam Wineburg, but if letters have indeed gone out, Columbia might just be the place for me. Is anyone else out there working toward history/social studies education?

To mungdaddy,

Congrats! May I know whether you apply for Ph.D or Master's program? I applied to TC, Master of Education. If you do not mind, would you please share some of your background?

Hi. Yes, I applied to the PhD program. I have a Masters in EAS from Duke University, 4 years teaching experience (Latin, East Asian Studies and World History) in the US and several years teaching English in China. My academic interest is History/Social Studies but more specifically, developing curricula to help teachers (secondary) teach East Asia more effectively.

As for my numbers, my GRE was low as was my undergrad GPA. In fact, when I interviewed at Columbia, I was asked to maybe mention in my SOP why my GPA was so low. I didn't because anyone looking at my transcript would see how nutty it was for me to take Organic Chemistry :) and work out the details on their own.

Good Luck.

Sorry to be MIA for a while. I was admitted to Teachers College, Columbia University for an M.A. in Sociology and Education, with a Policy Studies concentration. Hope that helps!

I don't expect to hear from the rest til March, but I'm still compulsively checking my email/phone/etc. anyway :roll:

Hi everyone!

I'm the Stanford admit. I didn't realize my results post would gather attention, lol. My program is Learning Sciences and Technology Design/Psychological Studies in Education. I think decisions are being made earlier this year. Admit Day(s) are at the beginning of March.

mungdaddy: I would think the 12 point scholarship refers to tuition credits/units. Typically funding packages are tuition plus stipend/assistantship.

Good luck to all!

Hey, just an FYI for those who applied to HGSE EdD - they started calling admits today. One of my former classmates from my master's cohort got a call...I didn't. :cry:

Don't know if they've finished notifying those who got in. Hoping that they'll continue tomorrow, but not optimistic at this point.