Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Eee, all my recommendations are in from 3/4 professors! Which means some of my schools are totally done in that regard. Others are still waiting on their third writer, who wants to wait until the end of the semester.

I submitted all of my 11 applications by October 1. And all of my letters, test scores, and transcripts are in. It feels great, except...

It hasn't been an easy road. Because one of my recommenders wanted to do his letters asap, I was forced to get the ball rolling super early. That was fine, but two of my applications wouldn't send out the electronic notification until I filled out the entire app. So I rushed through those two applications, including doing my resume and SoP. And I totally sent one school a SoP that had a mention of the other school's name. That was pretty much my nightmare from the start and it came true!

In the end, it worked out. The school (supposedly) replaced my SoP when I told them it had a "small error." It wasn't one of my higher ranked choices, anyway. But it was definitely still mortifying and, since I'm not convinced I'm going to get in anywhere, every school counts. Basically, I wish I had been able to take more time for everything, but it just wasn't in the cards, with my professor wanting to write his letters (and the fact that I'm international and everything takes longer). And once I started, it was as if I had to finish them asap. I just got too nervous and needed them out of my life.

But they're done - all ELEVEN applications. As you can imagine, I have no money left.

one of my recommenders wanted to do his letters asap

I envy you so much. I have a recommender who's really stretching it. It's now 5(!) days to the first deadline and he still hasn't sent his LOR. He keeps saying he's "on it". It's an awful feeling, when it's not up to me and I can't control it.

On the bright side, I've just submitted my 7 out of 10 app last night.

So I just submitted my 3rd app of 8. This is my second time applying so it's been a bit easier this time around. Unfortunately I have a more vivid idea about how painful the waiting will be once acceptance time rolls around...

I'm hoping to finish off all 8 applications before the end of the year so I can just rest for a while.

I thought this thread might be kind of silly since there isn't much to say, but it is strangely soothing to read other people being anxious like me. I've submitted 9 of my 12 applications for math PhD programs and have already started counting down the days to February (when it seems that schools start to send out the first wave of acceptances). On the bright side, I'm graduating in less than three weeks and am about to finish up the last of my problem sets.

I wasn't nearly so anxious about college admissions - my top choice for undergrad was a safety and so there was no anxiety at all really. But now my top choice is a top school, and not even the fact that I did research there last summer and have a professor who wants me as a grad student relieves my anxiety, even though I know most people are not in nearly as fortuitous a position. Kinda makes me feel like a jerk, haha. I think it makes me fear rejection even more since I had such an amazing time there and I know I'm not just building it up to be something more than its not.

Edited by bemonocled

F12 applicant

I have my applications complete..

Checking University websites today a few show my GRE not submitted.

I know these are submitted some directly from ETS others I orderd from GRE to be sent.

GRE site shows them submitted, I have the receipt, GRE test was completed in summer 2011 have my results.

Dec 15th is earliest due date.

Hope this get uploaded soon, may call next week if no reply to my email request from today

I am told this is not uncommon so I am trying to be calm Though it is not workiing

My second recommender went ahead and submitted all of her letters to my 5 programs today. The other writer hasn't yet and the first deadline is tomorrow. I emailed him today and he said he will have it done....

No worries. I'm sure he will have it done. I was still waiting on two LORs (for 2 separate schools) but one was submitted last night. The other professor told me on Tuesday that's she is almost finished and will get hers in. That deadline is 12/2. I don't doubt that she will, but the waiting is tough. Hang in there :)

My recommender is testing my nerves. I'm telling you, he's doing a research on the effect of postponing LORs to the last minute on 29y/o mails who apply to PhD programs!

The deadline is in 4 days. Why can't he just get it over with?! It's not that hard and it really doesn't take too long, I've seen another recommender doing it.

I'm anxious that I'm gonna miss the deadline because a recommender can't find the time to submit his LORs :(

My recommender is testing my nerves. I'm telling you, he's doing a research on the effect of postponing LORs to the last minute on 29y/o mails who apply to PhD programs!

The deadline is in 4 days. Why can't he just get it over with?! It's not that hard and it really doesn't take too long, I've seen another recommender doing it.

I'm anxious that I'm gonna miss the deadline because a recommender can't find the time to submit his LORs :(

My second recommender went ahead and submitted all of her letters to my 5 programs today. The other writer hasn't yet and the first deadline is tomorrow. I emailed him today and he said he will have it done....

I envy you so much. I have a recommender who's really stretching it. It's now 5(!) days to the first deadline and he still hasn't sent his LOR. He keeps saying he's "on it". It's an awful feeling, when it's not up to me and I can't control it.

On the bright side, I've just submitted my 7 out of 10 app last night.

I feel your pain! My adviser waited until after 11pm on the day three of my recs were due (at 11:59pm) to submit. That was a stressful day, but it all worked out =).

Edited by werd814

I feel ya. My recommender is doing a research on the effect of not responding to emails anymore regarding my LOR's. I finally wrote on his facebook wall! He better get the point now. haha

If it makes anyone feel any better, I've never heard of a recommender actually missing a deadline so long as the applicant has kept up on reminding them and making sure that they had everything that they needed in the appropriate amount of time. Although I'm sure that it has happened before to someone, my guess is that 95% of the time, the professors are just very busy and/or on sabbatical (2/3 of my letter writers are on sabbatical this year, that's been fun) and simply haven't gotten to whenever they've had it scheduled to finish those LoR. Stay positive!

Haha, the things you can (or, at least, that I can) worry about are whether or not things that I haven't physically sent myself (GRE scores, transcripts) get there on time. I accidentally sent all of my GRE scores to the wrong numbers, so I've had to reorder those (I've only applied to three programs though, so it's not the huge money buster it might sound like), and I requested my transcripts on Nov. 17 and so far it doesn't look like one of the schools have gotten them out yet. :/ And my first deadline is in two weeks! I thought submitting in October would mean that I wouldn't have to be rushing at the end!

^ Sweet! Close call, sounds like.

For one of my recommenders, I have to complete a 20-page term paper before he writes my LOR. (He says he can make it "even stronger" if he can reference that paper.) Unfortunately that means I need to write the entire thing by the 9th if I want to give him enough time to letter-write for 15 Dec deadlines. (It's a philosophy independent study.) Certainly feelin' the pressure now!

Why can't the rest of the time between now and the arrival of interviews/acceptances go by in a montage?

So my recommender finally replied saying "I got your facebook message and I'll make sure I'll get them done". It's hilarious how he didn't get all my emails to his official account, and checked facebook instead. haha Gotta lotta facebook.

I just submitted my app for Cornell CIPA. However, I had a question. I didn't see any place on the online application for me to upload my current CV, even though it's a requirement. So I emailed my CV to the admissions lady and asked her to add it to my file. Do you think they'll accept it? I just freaked out a little bit thinking what if they don't accept it or something?

I just freaked out a little bit thinking what if they don't accept it or something?

Don't freak out about it. I emailed several programs asking what to do if my former institution doesn't provide my updates transcripts in time (long story), and they all replied that I can email them a copy of the updated transcripts even after the deadline and they'll attach it to my file. I made sure that I contact the specific admissions people inside the program, and not just someone in the general grad admissions. They said all the material ends up in their hands anyway, so I can send it to them.

It's a bit different in each university, but the general conclusion is that they are, after all, human...

For those of you who quoted me - no, the LOR is STILL not in (3 days to deadline, including a weekend)

Don't freak out about it. I emailed several programs asking what to do if my former institution doesn't provide my updates transcripts in time (long story), and they all replied that I can email them a copy of the updated transcripts even after the deadline and they'll attach it to my file. I made sure that I contact the specific admissions people inside the program, and not just someone in the general grad admissions. They said all the material ends up in their hands anyway, so I can send it to them.

It's a bit different in each university, but the general conclusion is that they are, after all, human...

For those of you who quoted me - no, the LOR is STILL not in (3 days to deadline, including a weekend)

Ah thank you! That's good to hear!

The admissions lady does seem super nice, so I'm hoping it wouldn't be a problem.

Gosh! I know how scary the recommendation crap is. My former supervisor waited until 2 nights before the deadline to submit hers. Seriously, ridiculous.

YES! 24 hrs before the deadline - the LOR is in. I am now officially starting the waiting game for Berkeley. I just hope my recommender won't repeat this drill with the 7 (!) other programs he's supposed to upload his LORs to.

YES! 24 hrs before the deadline - the LOR is in. I am now officially starting the waiting game for Berkeley. I just hope my recommender won't repeat this drill with the 7 (!) other programs he's supposed to upload his LORs to.

glad to hear that your LOR came in, albeit in a nerve-wracking manner. Take a deep breath and do not worry about the other LORs...everything will work out, it seems.

...and the waiting begins for Columbia.

8 down, 2 to go. For some reason, for the first time since I started the whole process I finally feel like I'm making some progress. Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be almost completely done. I can't wait to start waiting!

First due date is tomorrow and one LOR has still not submitted. Six months of application preparation, everything else has been submitted, and it comes down to this. No pressure. None at all.

Don't let it get to you like I let it get to me...one of my references waited until just hours before the deadline. I was Fah-rea-king out.

Relax. Breathe. It is out of your hands. :)

goodness. I feel like like an idiot. I submitted my app to Cornell last week and realized I had sent in an older draft of my statement of purpose. Thank god I realized. haha. I called them up yesterday and asked them if I could resend it, and luckily they were really cool about it.

On the other hand, I'm almost done with my NYU app and my recommender still hasn't submitted his letter even though he's assured me he'll send it in before the deadline. Sigh

My final set of LORs from one prof were almost late before UT Austin extended their deadline. The prof promised me they'd submit the three letters Friday but it's Monday night and I'm seeing no sign of their LORs.

...and somehow UT Austin also managed to not receive the LOR from my most important referee. WTF? Where could it be if it was for sure already submitted but I called the GIAC and they haven't received it yet?

And here I was hoping this kind of stress would end when I got all of MY documents in. Wishful thinking...