Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Do SOP's Need a Title?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 butterfingers2010

butterfingers2010

Double Shot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationNot Telling.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:22 AM

This might be a silly question, but...do SOP's need a title? What is the "standard" format (font, font size,etc.)?
~*Never, ever, ever give up." *~

#2 newms

newms

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationMidwest US
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Computer Science Ph.D.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:39 AM

Some programs might ask for a title (i.e. 'Statement of Purpose" or something like that) and your name/ID number at the top, but that usually goes in the header section (at least that's been my experience. Otherwise you don't need a title, like you would need a title for an essay. i'm not in your field, so requirements might be different for your field, but I don't think you need a title beyond something like 'Statement of Purpose' to identify the document. Keep in mind that many online application systems have strict word limits, so a title might not only be superfluous, but might also reduce the space you have to write about what really matters.
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
~Henry Ford

#3 UnlikelyGrad

UnlikelyGrad

Latte Macchiato

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • LocationCO
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Ph.D. Geochemistry

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

All I did was put: "Statement of Purpose--UnlikelyGrad" at the top. I did this after seeing some example SoPs somewhere (sorry, can't remember where--it's been 3 years) so I wasn't just shooting in the dark. It seemed to work OK for me. :D
(Environmental) Geochemistry Ph.D.

Just a few of the 10,000 hats I wear: Mom, student, writer, volunteer, total geek.

My journey: http://unlikelygrad.wordpress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users