Considering a PhD in German. Need Advice!

roxyshoe

Yes your old department is my top choice with all my heart and research interests. :D Thank you so much for giving me the update!!! This is so nice of you!!! I know what u mean with awfully nice dream.... I always wonder if I am in the right film with all these acceptances- then the tension just goes on.

Anyways, have a wonderful weekend. ;)

@Coffeeplease: something I found out from my conversation with head of grad studies at Cornell is that they make their initial picks first, and subsequent picks once they find out what their initial picks decide. this may sound obvious, but it may mean that a school that has not revealed that you are on the wait-list may still be considering you. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until you are actually rejected. good luck!

You are absolutely right -- it's not over 'til it's over. The whole process is just an emotional rollercoaster, and I'm looking forward to it being over.

Also, it seems like even people accepted right off the bat aren't notified at the same time (only adding to the fun!).

@coffeeplace... I don't think your application season is over... I know a friend that got his acceptance into a top phd program during the first week of March whereas all the others (same program and year) got their acceptance in mid February... so I think they just try to manage their acceptances well- which makes sense (as mentioned above). I wish you all the best for this week.

Edited by marocchino

I got into Harvard :) Looks like we could be in seminar together, Ontolome and Marrochino...I can't believe this hell is over. However, I didn't sing and dance when Peter Burgard told me over Skype. I'm actually terrified. Anyone have this with any of their acceptances? And congrats on getting into a great school Coffeeplease!

Sounds great to me! I will be there for sure ;-). (I feel almost guilty rejecting my other offers- but I will do it soon so that sb on the waiting list gets a fair chance- Denn was man gibt, kommt ja auch zurück!- and we have to do this whole thing again when we apply for jobs in 5 years) Congrats to you!!!! Cannot wait to meet you on campus!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• 6 months later...

Looks like a lot of you got into Ivy League PhD programs! Congrats! Would you be willing to share your GRE scores and what kind of LORs you had going for yourself? I am very interested in earning a PhD in German, I am a native German that moved to the US 10 years ago and got married. I'm going to receive an MS in counseling in May, but don't think I want to work in the field (high stress, low pay). Will this help or hurt my application? It will probably depend on my explanation.

My interest will be multiculturalism in Germany in the 21st century. The big cities (Berlin, Hamburg, Munich) are international hubs (not like London or NYC, but comparable nonetheless) and this has always been fascinating to me. I'd appreciate some input!

Also, I was initially very interested becoming a German teacher (high school), but decided not to when I learned that the German language is dissapearing from US highschools. What is the career outlook for a German PhD? My interest would be teaching, not research (of course research will be essential during the PhD, but not following).

Again, thanks.

Edited by Madison1

From the German perspective I can say there is some good demand for US-Americans speaking good German, but the most striking affect is taken by other qualifications combined with the language skills.

For example, when it is about engineering, some understanding of technology is way more important for every translating than the sophisticated vocabulary. Translating is not so well paid, also not in very professional spheres, teaching could be similar, because of low entrance barriers for less qualified competitors. It's not the right job for expensive metropolitan areas.

In the UK there is very high demand for German as an extra-qualification and probably also more for teachers than in the US. These are only my laymen thoughts.