In which language should my writing sample be?

Dff

Hello everyone!

I am applying to Comparative Literature Master programs and have a question about my writing sample. Does it have to be in English? I am currently translating a paper originally written in Spanish, I don't know if it would be better leave it in Spanish (since in Comparative Literature you are supposed to know several languages).

Should I translate the quotes myself too?How do I indicate this formally?

Thanks for the help!!

Hello everyone!

I am applying to Comparative Literature Master programs and have a question about my writing sample. Does it have to be in English? I am currently translating a paper originally written in Spanish, I don't know if it would be better leave it in Spanish (since in Comparative Literature you are supposed to know several languages).

Should I translate the quotes myself too?How do I indicate this formally?

Thanks for the help!!

Usually programs specify that they want a writing sample in English that was originally written in English - not translated into English. Even the comp lit programs I applied to specified this. However, I think a few of them also said that you could send in another sample in another language in addition to the English sample. You should definitely check with the departments that you're applying to, they'll be able to say for sure and the requirements may be different at each program.

• 2 months later...

I would be concerned that the adcom may not be entirely comprised of comp lit professors (or the profs could be comp lit with other languages), which would then make your writing sample a bit of a snag in your application. My understanding is the all writing samples should be in English; however, it may be a good idea to reach out to the direct departments. They are usually very quick to respond to emails if you are in some sort of time zone difference where you wouldn't be able to call.

• 4 months later...