BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oneone heard from CASE WESTERN BME.... I went to their open house....have not heard nth yet....

Drexel Univ - accepted but no funding yet....anyone in this situation?

Rejected - WashU, Vanderbilt

waiting list - Univ MN.....anyone in this situation?

@bioengg

Ah, I was just about to ask the same question about Columbia. They told me they'd get back to me within 3-5 weeks of December. I wonder where they've been off to with my application.

:lol: yeah they probably took our MS apps with them to winter vacation and left them all somewhere in the tropicals. BTW, Those are some great places where your offered admissions! Got any preference atm of your possible destination?

:lol: yeah they probably took our MS apps with them to winter vacation and left them all somewhere in the tropicals. BTW, Those are some great places where your offered admissions! Got any preference atm of your possible destination?

ahah! the natives finally mailed it back from the tropicals. Got the acceptance email this morning! And yup I'm pretty set on Stanford, had a great visit to the department. Any idea where you're headed yourself?

Hiyo, I'm new up here, but I know that I've met a many of you out and about in my tour de force of CHE programs this spring. I enjoyed the whole experience (can't say that I've learned so much in such little time before). I'm going to be looking for others who are headed where I am when I know where that will be. I will be deciding Sunday.

For now, here's how my season went.

Accepted: Cornell, Colorado, Delaware, Johns Hopkins, Minnesota, Texas, Wisconsin

Rejected: MIT

I honestly wasn't too sad about that rejection- I'm looking at big, collaborative programs, and it only fits 50% of that bill.

My profile:

Undergrad: NCSU ChE

GPA: 3.73 total, 3.81 major

GRE: 640V/750M/5.5A

Research: Extensive, across four projects from nanoparticles to biomedical coatings to microfluidic materials.

Publications: "Materials of Controlled Shape and Stiffness with Photocurable Microfluidic Endoskeleton." Published in this upcoming issue of Advanced Materials- with cover!

Other activities: many leadership activities, ranging from promotion and recruitment for NCSU College of Engineering to founding a major new event on campus.

I think that my college experience is living proof that getting accepted to graduate programs doesn't have to be about a fantastic GPA and an amazing GRE score. I spent minimal effort to keep that GPA and get the scores I needed to just get through the proverbial "cut-offs," and put all of my time and energy into dedicated research and leadership activities. I think that this is a much more fun way to get into the best schools that you can- demonstrate that you're a well-rounded scholar instead of a student. Gradegroveling and standardized test scores doesn't make anyone a fantastic researcher in grad school.

I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to make a decision without hearing back from NSF. Based on their selection process, we'll see how my sub-par quantitative credentials in the competition pan out. I think I put together the best possible application I could, with help from many experienced people here at NCSU, so we'll see...

Anyways, that's a little bit about me. I'm going to be trying to find a biomaterials project - more emphasis on the materials (either inorganics or polymers) than the bio-side. I want part of my thesis to involve computational efforts in biomedical systems modeling.

I have narrowed down my search to Wisconsin and Minnesota- they are much stronger overall than the other programs to which I was accepted. Some programs were narrow, some building, and some just gave off a bad vibe. I couldn't find much fault with either UMN or UW.

Let me know your thoughts- and I'll keep up with you all to see where we go!

G