BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats freshprince!!! that was freaky...that we were just talking about it and you get an invite within 5 minutes :D...I didn't apply to UCSD....all my schools seem to be really slow in getting back :(...but its nice to see more people in the forum..

Applied: Hopkins, Duke, GA Tech, UC Irvine, Carnegie Mellon, WashU in St. Louis

Accepted:

Rejected:

My interview for SD bioengineering is Feb 6th, I assume they're doing all the interviews at once, so anyone who is waiting for UCSD should probably expect a response within the next week.

Well I don't know about that considering my interview is a month after yours.

I haven't heard back from any of my schools yet either... and I didn't know they'd be replying back so early until I looked at this forum =X

Is there any point in contacting any of the professors now or is it too late to spark their interest if they are not already interested?

I applied to Johns Hopkins, Duke, Berkeley, Harvard, University of Maryland, and U of North Carolina. Haven't heard back from any - yet! Maybe next week =X

Thing is - for the past couple of weeks I've actually started looking more seriously at what the professors I wrote I was interested in are doing and now I'm even more interested in a certain new area in BME - synthetic biology. Professors from several of the schools I applied to are doing synthetic biology research, but as I'm getting more into the idea of doing research in the field I'm also becoming more and more scared that I'll be disappointed if I get into a school that doesn't do as much research in the area. Specifically, Berkeley and Harvard are the leaders in the field out of the schools I applied to. Hopkins and Duke have some research going on the the area too though.

Stanford is also heading in that direction I think, they recently hired Drew Endy and Christina Smolke. I haven't heard from JHU or Berkeley-UCSF joint grad program yet. If you look at http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php someone already submitted that they got an interview from Berkeley and another that he called the department and was informed that all interview invitations were sent. Well...not a good sign, but we'll see.

Okay so I just saw an acceptance from Washington University in St. Louis....it was given out Friday, the 31st....that's the first from one of the the schools I applied to...I did have high hopes on WashU.....that's not a good sign, right?? I mean...that's bad, isn't? I'm beginning to really freak out now....

I would not freak out. I saw someone got accepted to U of Utah on a friday and I didn't hear from them till monday. Just go with the flow. I figured it might take them a couple of days to send them out if they finish their selection at the end of the day or they personalize each mail. (ie. not a mailing list). You never know. I have noticed an international acceptance for USC. Again, it would seem, the international students find out before domestics.

I read what you said about international students hearing back first and it seems as if you are right.......the thing is, I AM an international student with a US degree and if you are right then....urgh.....so that's partly the reason for the freakout....anyhow, my inbox is still empty as of now....do you think its a good idea to email the graduate coordinator and find out if all the invites have been sent out or not? or does that border on pestering at this point of time...maybe i should wait a week before I do that?

It seems their acceptances have historically gone out around the end of jan. But from year to year, there is of course going to be some variation. You could analyze it any which way you want, but I wouldn't interpret a lack of early results as a negative sign. I posted previously that I had made a list of the schools that I applied to with expected acceptance dates and most of those are in Feb. or March so I expect those months will be the busy months for results. Things are just getting started. Also, I saw someone did an analysis for econ results or something like that. And they found schools are the most likely to put out results on a tuesday. Thats something to think about as well.

thanks ealkjhljha!! you are probably right...its just the beginning of Feb...I'll try not to freak out yet :D....daddys_girl, I agree with you...I just hope I receive one acceptance at least, so that I know I have something to hold on to....hopefully, this week....fingers crossed!!!

I made an excel chart of all the results for last year, separating domestic from international. International got notified a little bit earlier on average, and both had their peak months in Feb. Pretty even though. This should be the month we all here from the majority if the schools =/

Is anyone still getting recruiting emails from programs they didn't apply to? Seeing an email from "graduate admissions" that turns out to be one of those "we got your email from the GRE service" messages does bad things for my blood pressure.

Is anyone still getting recruiting emails from programs they didn't apply to?

Haha, yeah. Mostly from the National and Western Name Exchanges, though. I got a huge prospective application packet from USC a few weeks ago saying "As a McNair Scholar, bla bla...." Only one problem: I am not and have never been a McNair Scholar. :lol: Fix your databases, people. I've also gotten tons of e-mail from public health and life sciences related programs... even though I clearly checked the boxes for engineering and computer science.

I learned back in high school during APs/SATs not to sign up for those horrible services. Such a waste of mail from (northern|southern|eastern|western) (state here) university. It's not like any of the programs I was interested in ever contacted me...

Anybody here knows how Stanford BioE plays the game? Seems like they have sent out their interview invitations, and some people also got rejection mails. However, I do not get an invitation nor a rejection. Am I on the waiting-list? If so, what

I don't know what your chances are... however, I did see on the results page interview invitations and rejections... maybe your application was sent down to the master's program or you could've been waitlisted??? I'm not sure.

Thanks! But I'v already had a MS degree, so I don't think they would send me to their MS program. Anyway I'll write an email to them.