BioE/ChemE Decisions

freshprince

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

turtleturd! JHU has started sending out ivites I think...there have been 3 submissions already...one from an American, 2 Internationals (one with US degree and another without)!!! ....looks like couple of them received the invitations today...maybe its not time to panic yet...but I'm beginning to!! :(

New here, greetings everyone!

I'm an international student from Beijing, China. I just picked up a postal mail this morning (Beijing time) from BU telling me that I was admitted to their BME program, yay! It was such a surprise since there were no prior email notifications, plus that I was told almost every BME program interviews before accepting people.

Good luck for all!

I am an international student but doing my undergrad in the US.

Hoping to hear back from JHU, UCSD, Duke, GAtech, MIT and Washington right now.

The wait is getting a bit too much !

Has anyone heard back about interviews from the above mentioned schools?

Good luck!

I'm an international student too, but I did my undergrad in the US. I haven't heard back from anywhere yet and its a bit nerve wrecking....not a bit...a lot..especially when I see that JHU has started sending out invites...so has UC Irvine and WashU....I'm losing hope by the minute...and re-thinking having applied to only 6 schools!!! Anyway, good luck to all of you, hopefully we'll hear back next week!!

Applied: JHU, Duke, GA Tech, WUSTL, UC Irvine, Carnegie Mellon

Accepted:

Rejected:

I just received my rejection from JHU as well....I knew it was going to be tough competition too..especially being an international student...but I really really was hoping I'd at least get an interview...it does feel really sad...like all my hope is lost :(

Applied: JHU, Duke, GA Tech, WUSTL, UC Irvine, Carnegie mellon

Accepted:

Rejected: JHU

Hey waiting-it-out. Sorry for the JHU reject, I know how it feels but being on an F-1 makes it much harder to get in.

From what I know none of the other schools you have applied to have started sending invites so you still have a lot of schools left. Don't worry. Enjoy the weekend, that is what I am planning. No emails from grad schools over the weekend so live it up!

Hey the_student: Thanks for the encouragement...I'm going to try to forget about it during the weekend....But I just can't seem to stop myself from checking the results submission..just found out that there has been an invite from GA Tech....really, this whole thing is getting to me....this waiting sucks...and you are right....being on F1 does have its disadvantages applying to these top schools...

Yes, seeing someone else get an email invite makes me obsess too. Its horrible really. Oh well. Like I said last weekend, I saw a result before the weekend to a school I applied to and didn't hear anything till Monday.... c'mon schools, lets get those mailing lists out at the same time!

yea.. i saw the GA Tech/Emory post too. Let's hope you're right and that invites come out on Monday too! At this point I'm wondering why I haven't applied to double the schools.. The only news I've gotten was rejections/no response when others have gotten some/no response at all. I'm definitely freaking out! I'm going away for the weekend, which is good and bad. Good b/c I'll be busy.. Bad b/c I'm not near a computer to check my email/this forum... :-/

It probably depends a lot on where you apply, but I don't think you have too much to worry about. I've heard of people getting shut out on medical and law school applications, but not so much for engineering. I'm getting nervous too, but be patient, you'll have good news soon!

Here's how I see it: suppose that one applies to, say, ten schools (I believe many apply for more) and their admission processes are independent. If the probability of him being accepted to each school is 0.5, then the probability of the applicant to receive at least one offer would be 1-0.5^10, which is more than 99.9%. Sounds nice? :mrgreen:

Well I still have to ask... anyone got any news from BioE at Washington? I heard they have made decisions but haven't received any of their news yet.

Thanks and good luck for all. :D

The waiting is so boring.

BME phd.

So Far,

Accepted: CWRU

Interview: Columbia

reject: JHU, UCB.

When will other schools be sending out letters?

Are there schools that use postal mail only?

Anyone got interview invitation from Columbia?

I am not sure how many students will they weed out in the interviews.

Having been rejected by JHU, I'm beginning to lose hope for GA Tec...I mean its up there in the top with JHU in the ranking right? How different could their selection criteria be? I do think that by next week we'll know from most schools if its going to be at least an interview or a definite "no". All of a sudden, I'm extremely nervous and not sure if I want to face the reality at all!! I'm actually opening my inbox on Monday morning...

This is a Chem E thread also, but I haven't heard anything from the Chem E's here. Are there any Chem E's here?

I've heard from Cornell and Santa Barbara. Was accepted to Cornell, rejected by UCSB (probably because of some very late materials). Still waiting on MIT,Caltech,Stanford,Berkeley, although I know for a fact they have all started to send invites.

Yes, I am a domestic student. If you haven't heard anything from Cornell I wouldn't worry too much. I wasn't expecting to hear anything so early, and if you haven't received a rejection, they're is still hope. I think they just do the reviews in waves or in priority. I don't really know how it works.

I think this coming week we'll all start getting a lot of responses. Lets just hope they are good! :)

So I just checked my email to find an invite from Georgia Tech/Emory for their open-house/interview weekend!! Got the email Friday evening.

Anyone has any ideas about how the interview works? Do they cut off a lot of people? They said that admission decisions soon follow after the interview weekend.

Still haven't heard from UCSD, Washington, MIT and Duke for now.

So, I called Stanford Chemical Engineering last Friday. The graduate coordinator informed me that they have a new admissions committee and that decisions are taking longer than normal, sorry for waiting.

I  am waiting on WashU BioE... And all other schools that I have applied to and haven't gotten rejected, accepted, or interviewed.

This is going to be a big week, good luck everyone.