HGSE Fall 2012

Airwick

Oh wow, the time has officially come... Who else is applying?!

GRE Score (Revised): V 700-750, Q 700-750 AWA:?

GPA: 3.85

Work Experience: Freelance Filmmaker: 4 Years, Academic Tutor: 3 Years, Manager/eTutor Ohio Learning Collaborative: 2 Years, Arts Educator: 1 Year, Discovery Channel Production Intern: 3 Months, Discovery Channel Education Intern: Starts Spring Semester

Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Small State University in Ohio

Research Experience: 1) Researched and launched an online teaching collaborative called Informal Education 2) Working with Cleveland students on Participatory Action Research Project regarding the effects of school closure. I helped the students create a twenty minute documentary over the summer to relay their message to the public. We are going to present this video to various organizations in Cleveland.

Applying for PhD or Masters: Masters, 2012

Program: Technology, Innovation, Education

What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Stanford (LDT), Columbia (CCTE), NYU (EDCT), USC (Film MFA), UCLA (Film MFA), NYU (Film MFA)

Edited by Airwick

• 3 months later...

I also applied to Harvard's QPAE. Looking at previous threads it appears that Harvard generally calls admits the 3rd Friday of February. Can't remember where I read that (I'll investigate later and if it was for a different discipline I'll throw a mea culpa out there).

Good luck to all of us :)

Good luck to everyone! I believe the doctoral decisions are made in advance of March too.

I have applied to TIE and LDT at SUSE.

Educational Background: Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering, Master's in Industrial Systems from University of Cambridge.

Work ex - 3 years in senior position in university administration.

Which strand of TIE are you most interested in? I already have undergraduate experience in educational technology design, so I plan to focus on the Research, evaluation, and assessment stand.

Edited by Airwick

I also applied to Harvard's QPAE. Looking at previous threads it appears that Harvard generally calls admits the 3rd Friday of February. Can't remember where I read that (I'll investigate later and if it was for a different discipline I'll throw a mea culpa out there).

Good luck to all of us :)

lilgreycells, could you please post when you hear anything from the QPAE program? I will do the same.

I've seen in the "results search", that in 2010 people were notified of the decision on the program somewhere around Feb. 26.

Good luck to everyone! I believe the doctoral decisions are made in advance of March too.

Which strand of TIE are you most interested in? I already have undergraduate experience in educational technology design, so I plan to focus on the Research, evaluation, and assessment stand.

I have applied for Ed.M. only. So i think strand selection doesn't apply to me.

lilgreycells, could you please post when you hear anything from the QPAE program? I will do the same.

I've seen in the "results search", that in 2010 people were notified of the decision on the program somewhere around Feb. 26.

Sure I'll definitely post on here if I hear any news! And hmm yes I see what you're saying. So more than likely in one of my fevered "must discover timeline for when I will be notified" excursions I jumbled up the dates for Harvard. 2010 is around the 26th and 2011 is around the 24th (looking at the HGSE 201x threads in the ed section). So mea culpa!

I have applied for Ed.M. only. So i think strand selection doesn't apply to me.

Did you read through the TIE handbook? They outlined three strands within the program: Design and development of educational technologies, Transformation of education with new technologies, and Research, evaluation, and assessment. Just curious which interested you the most lol

Edited by Airwick

Hi, I applied to their EdD program. I also applied to Stanford's PhD in Education and USC's PhD in Urban Ed Policy. So it looks like we have a few schools in common. :D

Good luck and keep us abreast if you hear anything and I will do the same. Fingers crossed for everybody. :D

Airwick - I applied to the TIE program... I'm a bit nervous because I haven't seen too many teachers applying to the program. Do you know the make up? My interest is in modifying technology for younger learners and helping teachers embed technology into their classroom.

Master's applicants (or Ph.D. applicants who think they might get moved down to the M.Ed.) - how do you feel about the average debt load that Harvard warns about for this program?

The program I applied to sounds wonderful; the funding not so much. OK, right now it's counting chickens, but is anyone else afraid they'll make a foolish financial decision for this program? There have been posters in the program and recent graduates who rave about how the program is worth it. I'd like to talk to graduates five or ten years after - wonder if they would make the same choice to attend.

Airwick - I applied to the TIE program... I'm a bit nervous because I haven't seen too many teachers applying to the program. Do you know the make up? My interest is in modifying technology for younger learners and helping teachers embed technology into their classroom.

Personally, I think it's terrific to see someone with classroom experience applying to TIE. You would undoubtedly enrich conversations about technology in the classroom. I know they construct the cohort based on people with complimentary talents and backgrounds, so I think you're well positioned for a spot! The executive director of the non-prof organization I work for is an alumna of HGSE... She offered to put my in contact with some TIE alums. I will definitely ask him or her about their cohort!

As for stalking... You can utilize Google to search Linkedin.com for students and alumni. Go to Google.com then type in site:linkedin.com NAME OF PROGRAM. You can browse through public profiles and check out their stats lol Pretty neat

For instance:

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=site:linkedin.com++technology+innovation%2C+and+education+2011&pbx=1&oq=site:linkedin.com++technology+innovation%2C+and+education+2011&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=35195l35788l4l35907l5l5l0l0l0l0l89l352l5l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=d4b94d499f010a2d&biw=1680&bih=847

I searched "site:linkedin.com technology innovation, and education 2011"

Edited by Airwick

Master's applicants (or Ph.D. applicants who think they might get moved down to the M.Ed.) - how do you feel about the average debt load that Harvard warns about for this program?

@bythesea, I am VERY worried about that, especially now as I scramble to fill out the FAFSA forms. Like some of you I applied to T.I.E. and I know a few people who have done the program, but I'm not convinced it's worth the loans (plus uprooting my life for a year to live in Boston). I'm actually wishing I'd applied to a few more state schools. I'm sure it's a really cool program (and there are some really enthusiastic alumni on these boards), but I think the cost will probably keep me from attending if I'm accepted. :(

@pourtant, do the people you know who have done the program have any thoughts about this now that they're done?

The old forums on this topic seems to say either 'Do it because it's great.' or different versions of, 'The debt's not worth it.' I'm wondering if the program would open (not necessarily direct employment) doors of opportunity/experience/knowledge that I wouldn't be be able to get by staying put and trying to improve my application for a Ph.D. at other schools.

@pourtant, do the people you know who have done the program have any thoughts about this now that they're done?

The old forums on this topic seems to say either 'Do it because it's great.' or different versions of, 'The debt's not worth it.' I'm wondering if the program would open (not necessarily direct employment) doors of opportunity/experience/knowledge that I wouldn't be be able to get by staying put and trying to improve my application for a Ph.D. at other schools.

I spoke to an alumnus who graduate about 6 years ago and he fully recommends the program. Best decision he's ever made. Great experience. Incredible network. Just what you would expect. The experience may be different for every one, but I understood why he loved it when I went to visit- the students and faculty are amazing. I didn't want to leave.