no show for GRE

hrcharron

As unfortunate as this may sound, what would the schools see if someone were to not show up for their scheduled GRE testing time? Would they see anything at all?

Please, if you have any idea, answer my question. I dont want anyone saying how bad it is to not show up or to waste the money, blah, blah. I know all of this already and am just wondering if anything would be visible on the GRE report should someone miss their scheduled time.

Thanks. :D

I missed my first scheduled GRE time (long story) and nothing goes on your "record". No school should see any evidence of you even signing up (and missing) the exam. There is a good deal of paperwork and other procedures that must be done at the testing site itself for you to even take the exam. Not to mention, once you are at a computer (if you are taking it on the computer), you have to verify that you do want your scores submitted.

As far as I know, yes. Nothing is reported to the school. ETS/the center probably have some record that you were scheduled to take it, but that's it. I think even if you actually take the exam but choose to not have your scores reported, your school report does not show it, let alone not filing out any of the paperwork or signing any of the agreements.

Not sure if you're just curious or have run into something unexpected that will lead you to miss it, but: some centers have more leeway in scheduling than others, despite what ETS' website says. I was under the impression that you start exactly at your scheduled time, or you are not able to take it. I found out later that I probably still could've made it and been allowed to take it late (the center is a good hour and a half from where I live, so I didn't want to go all that way only to be turned away at the door for being late). At any rate, it was my own fault for making a few stupid mistakes. But the only price I paid was for a testing fee. A rather large one at that :cry:

hrcharron: I can confidently tell you that if you are a no show for the GRE, no schools will know and nothing is reported. It's as if you were never scheduled to take the exam as far as schools know.

So, no worries. :)

But the only price I paid was for a testing fee. A rather large one at that

I think that's what's stopping the money-churning ETS from reporting unscheduled exams. What can be better than lightening people's purses without actually doing anything? Besides which, if they actually recorded it, wouldn't that make us neurotic graduate student wannabes actually show up for the test? :wink: