Welcome to The GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

• Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Guest Message © 2014 DevFuse

Icon Notices

• [March 2012] February (and January) Stats: Did you make it to the top ten posters? Check here

Text books say different stuff on homicide. Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thaissia

thaissia

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'm doing a degree in criminology and for one of the tasks I need to cover Homicide from head to toe. However I got really confused when one of my books on the topic said that murder constitutes to homicide, and then another text book which I have, said that it doesn't.
So I'm confused now and don't know which book is right and I feel stupid asking my tutor because it seems like such an easy question (what constitutes to homicide?). I would really appreciate any help because once I have that sorted out I can go on to the stats, and causes/reasons, prevention and so on...

#2 ktel

ktel

Cup o' Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Program:Engineering

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

I'm no criminology expert, but murder of manslaughter could be homicide, right? Is that what's meant?

#3 Eigen

Eigen

Cup o' Joe

• Moderators
  • 2,662 posts
  • Application Season:Already Attending
  • Program:Chemistry

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

Again, I'm no criminology expert, but I believe murder and manslaughter both fall under homicide as well.

Genocide is to kill a population, suicide is to kill yourself, homicide is to kill another person. But that's just based on the word origins.

#4 thaissia

thaissia

Decaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for replying. I looked up in some other books and yeah, they all say that homicide covers both murder and manslaughter. I can get on with my assignment now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users