GRE study partner

Amit goyal

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am also studying for the GRE, am scheduled for Nov 28th. I'd love some companionship.

I'm in!

Today, hopefully, I'll be finished with math. I'm also done with the verbal, but of course I need to study lots of vocab. I'm using both Princeton's and Barron's review books.

Starting from Nov. 1 till the day of the exam, I'll practice practice practice! I have a problem with speed, so I need to practice being fast and accurate at the same time.

So how about you? \what have you studied so far? What are your plans? How are you studying? :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken the revised GRE already and will be retaking it on December 5th. My advice is to not worry too much about the strange vocabulary because it really isn't on there. I think there was 1 word on the whole test that I didn't recognize in the verbal sections. While vocab review will definitely be beneficial, my advice is to practice the questions and take as many practice tests as you can. I'm currently taking a GRE prep class that has been very beneficial, but I really think it is all the practice and taking a practical look at the test. If you want me to give you some of the pointers on approach to the verbal section, I would be happy to. As for the math portion, I'm an English major...I cannot be of much help.

If you are concerned about verbal the set up is: 20 minutes per verbal section each set up as follows: 6 sentence completion questions, 5 reading comprehension questions, 4 sentence equiv questions, and rounded up with 5 more reading comp questions. Practice the reading comp because that will be your life saver with time. Hope that helps a little.

Edited by lolopixie

PS if you purchase a Manhattan GRE book for any of the verbal sections (or any of the math sections - they break their study guides down to books per section), you get online access to 6 practice tests. I bought one on abebooks.com for $18 and it was at my door in 3 days, or you can go down to your friendly Barnes and Nobles and buy one there for about $25.

Edited by lolopixie

To build vocab, I highly recommend the book I Always Look Up the Word Egregious. But I agree with lolopoxie: practice the reading comp! For someone who reads practically non-stop, I had a surprisingly difficult time with the reading passages. They were really tough to follow and way too scientific for my taste. Ugh.

I very strongly recommend the Princeton Review book. It was fantastic. Know all the vocab lists in there and you'll be fine. Also, from my experience the best way to do well on the reading comp is to do a bazillion practice questions during the days right before... You will subconsciously be able to identify good answer choices without even really understanding the reading. Of course, it won't necessarily stick.. I bet if I took the test again today I wouldn't do well on the verbal, so it's good to cram that style in right before the test!