Hello Canadians!

I am having trouble deciding what to include in the Credentials section. These are the instructions:

List up to six (6) scholarships, fellowships, prizes, and other academic awards you have received and think would be most pertinent to the adjudication of your application. Specify the source for each (e.g., international, federal, provincial or territorial government department, university, private sector or community organization, etc.), year, value and duration, as applicable. Do not include teaching assistantships in this section.

Note: You may not append an additional page.

I guess I should only include scholarships based on academic merit. So, for example, an Explore scholarship is not pertinent... But is financial aid based on gpa + financial need relevant? Or, for example, for Québec residents, does the "bourse" percentage awarded by AFE count?

my guess is the best ones to include are those that have eligibility requirements (i.e. everyone is not automatically considered), you submit some application for it, the application is evaluated in a competitive process according to some objective criteria. This shows that your work has been recognized by others in a competitive method similar to SSHRC.

But I also wouldn't leave white space if you could help it, and use that space to highlight some aspect of your work that bolsters your current proposal (i.e. a travel grant for a particular conference, a prize for a particular project, a fellowship from a particular organization or one that has a particular name). All these things can feed into the theme of your proposal -- that you are the person to do this particular project very well, since you are supported from what you've learned in your previous experience.

You suggest including travel grants? Really?

I received two travel grants in my Master's for conferences but I didn't think including them would help my case. I feel kind of bad now that I've already verified my application!

You suggest including travel grants? Really?

Depends what kind of grant. I would not list the money I received from the faculty of arts at my institution. I would list the refereed, competitive travel award I got from the conference I attended.

any travel grant where your application was peer-reviewed, and where not everyone is automatically awarded the money, is worth listing. if it's a case where your department gives everyone money for a conference as long as there's money left in the kitty, then leave it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Has anyone heard from their universities regarding whether or not they have been forwarded to SSHRC? I heard this usually happens in December/January."

My university informs us via e-mail in mid-January. Coming up soon!

Edited by Andsowego

"Has anyone heard from their universities regarding whether or not they have been forwarded to SSHRC? I heard this usually happens in December/January."

My university informs us via e-mail in mid-January. Coming up soon!

Well, I heard the news today... and it's good! :D I wish the same for others who are waiting to hear!

I'm at the University of Western Ontario, and we're able to track the progress of all applications for external scholarships online, through "student central." I noticed yesterday that I've been nominated by the university for both OGS and SSHRC. I hope I have better luck than last year. Last year, I wasn't eligible for OGS, because I was moving to Ontario from Newfoundland, and I was wait-listed by SSHRC. However, this year, I have a year of my PhD under my belt, more scholarships, and better references, so hopefully it will bump my profile up a few notches into the "funded" category. One can only hope.

Anyone else here apply directly to SSHRC?

Over here! Applied directly to OGS and SSHRC. I'm a little jealous of the people who had to apply to/be nominated by their universities. The positive affirmation would be nice. Instead, first correspondence will be when a final decision comes down... bah, greener grass ect;.

Over here! Applied directly to OGS and SSHRC. I'm a little jealous of the people who had to apply to/be nominated by their universities. The positive affirmation would be nice. Instead, first correspondence will be when a final decision comes down... bah, greener grass ect;.

Oh really? Do we at least find out if we were in the "A" or "B" pile? And yeah I agree it would be nicer to go through the schools. Are there advantages to going directly to SSHRC?

Oh really? Do we at least find out if we were in the "A" or "B" pile? And yeah I agree it would be nicer to go through the schools. Are there advantages to going directly to SSHRC?

I seem to remember getting a letter in the mail last year saying I had not been forwarded on to the national competition. I think those who apply directly to SSHRC are all considered together the same way those in a department would be. Then they choose which ones to forward to the national competition and then our applications are considered along with those from people who were forwarded by their schools.

Bad news bear.

Second time applying to SSHRC. Last year I was forwarded by my university (York) but didn't win at national level. This year no one from my cohort at Concordia was forwarded. However, York was able to forward 104 doctoral applications to SSHRC and Concordia only forwarded 46, and the graduate student body is about equal.

Bleh. All that work and falling behind in my courses for nothing.

I seem to remember getting a letter in the mail last year saying I had not been forwarded on to the national competition. I think those who apply directly to SSHRC are all considered together the same way those in a department would be. Then they choose which ones to forward to the national competition and then our applications are considered along with those from people who were forwarded by their schools.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember when you heard back? I'm assuming I should be hearing back around the same time as those who went through their Unis.

Bad news bear.

Second time applying to SSHRC. Last year I was forwarded by my university (York) but didn't win at national level. This year no one from my cohort at Concordia was forwarded. However, York was able to forward 104 doctoral applications to SSHRC and Concordia only forwarded 46, and the graduate student body is about equal.

Bleh. All that work and falling behind in my courses for nothing.

Sorry to hear that! I was not forwarded by my University last year but what did make me feel a *little* better about it was that I already had some nice ideas jotted down for the proposal. Makes writing up other proposals a lot easier.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember when you heard back? I'm assuming I should be hearing back around the same time as those who went through their Unis.

I've been trying to search through my emails to find out. I put down my home address on my application so they mailed my response home and then my mother emailed me the bad news. But I can't seem to find it! I do remember, though, that it was at least weeks after people started posting that their schools had forwarded them on.

I've been trying to search through my emails to find out. I put down my home address on my application so they mailed my response home and then my mother emailed me the bad news. But I can't seem to find it! I do remember, though, that it was at least weeks after people started posting that their schools had forwarded them on.

Thanks again! I guess I will look out for a letter within the next few weeks.

I received good news from my University (Concordia) - December 20.

This was my third time writing a proposal - the first time, I applied directly to SSHRC, but my PhD applications got derailed. SSHRC rejected me anyway. I received a mailed later in late February, if I recall.

The second time was last year when I finally got my PhD applications together - again, I applied directly to SSHRC, but got rejected. Letter in the mail, mid-to-late February.

Third times the charm, maybe. Now in a program, I applied to my department, and received an email from the University saying my application had been forwarded to the national competition. I was lucky that I had received merit-based departmental funding upon entrance, which was something else to add to my application.

Each time, I re-wrote the application, almost from scratch - I'd say I threw out at least 50% of the writing and tried again. This time, I still thought my application was rushed, but I tried really had to make the description of my research as concrete as possible (which is often difficult with art/humanities/practice-based work). Not to mention that my advisor forgot to sign her letter, and caused me a lot of running around in late October.

I'm not sure what usually happens next - does anyone know how SSHRC lets the recipients know, and when?