NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I am also a UBC student. My application also says 'recieved' on the NSERC online services, and was changed to this status on the 25th of November, which is about when I recieved an email from grad studies informing me my application had been forwarded to Ottawa.

• 2 weeks later...

The first two cycles I was super nervous about the results, but now that I'm in my third year of grad studies with 2 NSERC rejections from ottawa under my belt I'm super relaxed. The last 2 years, I was hyped up to get it, but this year I couldn't care less. Good luck to everyone!

Hello Boourns, I am from U of A as well.

I wish you could get it this time. I am praying to get the PDF. Pretty close to March...

The first two cycles I was super nervous about the results, but now that I'm in my third year of grad studies with 2 NSERC rejections from ottawa under my belt I'm super relaxed. The last 2 years, I was hyped up to get it, but this year I couldn't care less. Good luck to everyone!

wow seems like many ppl frm UofA are here in this forum.... This is my first year of applying.. I was told tht my NSERC application was highly ranked in the department and am pretty hopeful of getting one... Can't wait for March end..:)

I'm a former U of A undergrad, and successfully received an NSERC CGS-M by applying through the U of A. One of my profs actually knew I got the award before I did (they sent out an e-mail to the department) and told me in one of my labs. Very exciting!

Ktel, which year did you apply for it?

I'm a former U of A undergrad, and successfully received an NSERC CGS-M by applying through the U of A. One of my profs actually knew I got the award before I did (they sent out an e-mail to the department) and told me in one of my labs. Very exciting!

@ktel yeah..I pretty much understand ur excitement. I was told by my supervisor abt my application being ranked top 3 in the department and I still recount how excited he was, as well... Since we have many ppl frm UofA, I am thinking of creating a forum for Alberta Innovate scholarship as well. Many ppl amongst us must have applied for it..

Who is a PDF applicant? Whats your paper count? I have 4 first author and one second author accepted and am completely hopeless based one last year's statistics :(

It doesn't matter how many papers you have. I guess It depends on how you write your proposal. I know someone who have > 10 papers,but still didn't get NSERC PDF. Good Luck!

I totally agree with you, Mungmung.

When you read the instruction of the evaluation, academic potential is really a concern when the selection committee make the final decision.

It doesn't matter how many papers you have. I guess It depends on how you write your proposal. I know someone who have > 10 papers,but still didn't get NSERC PDF. Good Luck!

Marmoor, I am also an applicant for NSERC PDF. It is tough though.

I have checked all the PDF holders from last years competition in science and engineering catogary. The number of first author publications of individual ranges from 3-16. You are still within the range. Last year was very exceptional because the successful rate was only 10%, half or even lower than half of that in previous 3 years. I wish NSERC noticed this issue.

Who is a PDF applicant? Whats your paper count? I have 4 first author and one second author accepted and am completely hopeless based one last year's statistics :(

Edited by Peeler

Peeler, are you referring to their journal count? I do have around 9 first author conference papers as well. How about u? I know a friend in CS that had only one submitted journal and got PDF, I have no idea how their evaluations work. My proposal for CGS-D was mostly related to Bio stuff and I got it but my proposal this year is CS and Math based so I guess I wont get a good score for that.

I only count the journal papers since I am in chemical engineering and normally we do not care about conference papers since most of them are not under peer-reviewed in my area. I only have 6 first authors journal paper, nothing else.

Peeler, are you referring to their journal count? I do have around 9 first author conference papers as well. How about u? I know a friend in CS that had only one submitted journal and got PDF, I have no idea how their evaluations work. My proposal for CGS-D was mostly related to Bio stuff and I got it but my proposal this year is CS and Math based so I guess I wont get a good score for that.

Hopefully it will maintain 10%.

Well good luck to everyone lets see how it goes this year, the government is very underfunded and I dont think the number of PDFs will change this year.

Thats great, Do you have NSERC now? I guess the awards do matter as well. I also think the paper counts are based on the area of research, I am in ECE and all my friends with more than 5 first author journals got PDF last year.