NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

No, I was not eligble to apply any NSERC awards since I was an international student in the first three years of my PhD program.

I am not sure if the paper counts are so important. Last year, there was no any PDF awardee in whole faculty of engineering in U of A.

Thats great, Do you have NSERC now? I guess the awards do matter as well. I also think the paper counts are based on the area of research, I am in ECE and all my friends with more than 5 first author journals got PDF last year.

Marmoor, r u from any univeristies in eastern coast?

Thats great, Do you have NSERC now? I guess the awards do matter as well. I also think the paper counts are based on the area of research, I am in ECE and all my friends with more than 5 first author journals got PDF last year.

I am applying for the PGS-D and have four first-author publications (papers, not conference abstracts), 4 conferences, etc. My MSc. marks were excellent but my BSc. marks were all over the place, so that'll be a handicap.

I'm really happy that my applicant was at least sent in to NSERC this year. Too bad about the Conservatives cutting funding (yet hiring tens of thousands more bureaucrats...).

Good luck to all!

Hey Snowshoes, I do not understand the difference between four first author publication and 4 conferences. By conferences do you mean just presenting without publication of article in the conference proceeding.... FYI I m also a PGS-D applicant!

Hey Snowshoes, I do not understand the difference between four first author publication and 4 conferences. By conferences do you mean just presenting without publication of article in the conference proceeding.... FYI I m also a PGS-D applicant!

I just double-checked my application... I have 4 peer-reviewed journal papers (I'm first author), 3 refereed contributions (published conference abstracts), and 7 non-refereed contributions (regional talks, workshop presentations, a magazine article related to my field). 93% average for my MSc. marks and I forget the average for my BSc. marks, but it was not stellar by any means.

I'm not sure how competitive my package is relative to the other PGS-D applicants... but my proposal is pretty solid and I think that will help out. I just wish I spent more time on the application... I worked on it at the last minute and polished it as much as I could.

I never thought I'd be so excited about hearing back about the NSERC, but it is kind of fun checking the mailbox everyday and thinking about it.

Ohh great!... I have 5 conference-publications, 1 journal and chapters contributions in 2 books.... I have other presentations as well but I didnt include most of them as we have maximum 2 page limit where we have to include everything publns, applicant statement and others so lack of space.... snowshoes how did u manage to include even ur presentations/workshop details in such a small space limit?

Hey nineaxe by grad secretary due to mean graduate coordinator of the department... I guess, they come to knw abt the result earlier than us but some of them may withhold as it is unofficial at tht time but nevertheless no harm in asking.... I will ask them arnd March-19 or so...Good Luck!

Hi guys! It seems all you have very strong profiles to be successful in NSERC PDF application. Wish you all the best. Stud007, will the dean of the faculty able to provide some information about the results? I am applying from outside Canada and I do not know who is graduate coordinator of the host institute.

Hey Silicon, its not difficult to find graduate student advisor of your department.... Go to the host institute's website you are applying from and go to the department page... There go in the faculty section and check the administrative staff.... You can find the detail of graduate student advisor from their.. I don't think dean of faculty will be able to help in this matter... By the way I am applying for doctoral scholarship and not Post-Doctoral!

Silicon, you wont be able to check with any secretary if you are applying for PDF, they will only contact you. But for PGS-D since the application goes through the department first they get the news before you. I got my doctoral scholarship news via mail since our grad office was not willing to disclose information.

Ohh great!... I have 5 conference-publications, 1 journal and chapters contributions in 2 books.... I have other presentations as well but I didnt include most of them as we have maximum 2 page limit where we have to include everything publns, applicant statement and others so lack of space.... snowshoes how did u manage to include even ur presentations/workshop details in such a small space limit?

Hey nineaxe by grad secretary due to mean graduate coordinator of the department... I guess, they come to knw abt the result earlier than us but some of them may withhold as it is unofficial at tht time but nevertheless no harm in asking.... I will ask them arnd March-19 or so...Good Luck!co

It was tough to fit everything. I really condensed everything as much as possible and had amost a page for my statement. I wrote it as concise as I could and made every word and sentence count.

I figure I may hear from my former supervisor if he finds out earlier, but I don't think I'll call the secretary. It is hard enough waiting for the mail, I don't want to start bugging other people to save a couple days!

So there isn't much point in expecting it before the 20th?

Edited by snowshoes

The one page proposal is very important. One thing is true: the more the proposal is crowded the less chance it is for to be successful. I applied for NSERC PDF last year and graduating in April. Thanks.

I am hoping to hear a positive answer. Last year less pdfs were awarded. This year the PDF number may go higher. I will post info if I hear any from NSERC. We should get letter by March 20.

I am hoping to hear a positive answer. Last year less pdfs were awarded. This year the PDF number may go higher. I will post info if I hear any from NSERC. We should get letter by March 20.

I was looking at the stats and was surprised at last year's PDF awards... why was the number so low - funding was cut or something?

I applied for the PGS-D last year and didn't have much hope for it, so there wasn't much anticipation. I saw this website and laughed at how people were going crazy waiting on their response - now I'm the same way! Only 10 more days until I can check my mailbox with some hope!

yeah we shud hear something arnd March 20th... I guess, ppl living near Ottawa will be amongst the first to hear abt the results, Though, I feel tht for PGS-D application we will hear first from our department ... Good luck to everyone

I was told by someone in CANMET that NSERC may cut 5-10% more funding than last year since NSERC is really underfunded this year. ...

Hopefully the successful rate will maintain 10% as last year. I do not expect NSERC will offer more PDF awards than last year. ...