NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I applied for a CGS/PGS M for the 2012-2013 academic year and was not successful, am I still eligible to apply for a CGS/PGS M award for the 2013-2014 academic year? I'll be starting my master's in Fall 2012.

Off course you can. If you win, the funding will begin On May, 1st 2013.

So if you Master is 2 years, you wil have 16 month of funding (till the end of August 2014)

Good luck !

Edited by eliasg

Thanks you mattboud. congratulations to you too.

I dont know why NSERC did not update the awards on their WEBsite !

I think they didn't update it so that people that they are offering the upgrades to CGS or PGS's can have a chance to reject the award (if they decided to not continue studying). They'll probably update it sometime in the summer once everyone has had a chance to respond if needed.

I won a PGS-D3 this year, but was disappointed to not get an upgrade. At the time of applying, I had two publications in refereed journals (one first author), but shortly after, I got two more first-author publications to my CV (total of 3 first authors and one 3rd author). Very frustrating that I cannot even apply for an upgrade next year...

I won a PGS-D3 this year, but was disappointed to not get an upgrade. At the time of applying, I had two publications in refereed journals (one first author), but shortly after, I got two more first-author publications to my CV (total of 3 first authors and one 3rd author). Very frustrating that I cannot even apply for an upgrade next year...

We dont have to complain. There is a lot of people having much more publications than you and were rejected.

So you have to be satisfied with your achievement.

Good luck !

Edited by eliasg

Exactly! I went through 3 years of not even leaving the university competition before winning one this year! They've cut so many of the awards in the past years, winning a PGS is in itself an incredible achievement, I would say even moreso now compared to 5 years ago, when there were almost twice the amount of PGS-D's to be given!

We dont have to complain. There is a lot of people having much more publications than you and were rejected.

So you have to be satisfied with your achievement.

Good luck !

You are absolutely right!! I am definitely grateful to have won this award! It means a lot to me. I just want to clarify that I would never have expected a CGS. What I was a bit miffed about was not being able to re-apply in the 2013-2014 round for an upgrade, given that I could be competitive by that point. At my school, if you don't have external funding, your tuition is taken care of by the school. However, if you get NSERC, you have to pay your own tuition. In that respect, being able to apply for a larger award would have been nice as a 1/3 is automatically taken away from my PGS.

• 9 months later...