MEM 2012 applicants

Similar to last year's MEM 2011 thread, anyone applying to Master of Environmental Management or Environmental Policy programs is welcome to share their info and thoughts regarding the application process.

Program Applied To: MA in Environmental Studies, MS in Natural Resources & Environment, MEM

Schools Applied To: Brown University CES (MA), Duke University Nicholas School (MEM), University of Michigan SNRE (MS), Yale University FES (MEM)

Schools Accepted To:

Undergraduate Institution: UMass

Undergraduate GPA: 3.41, 3.82 last 3 semesters

Undergraduate Major: Political Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 650 (59%)

GRE Verbal Score: 590 (84%)

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (84%)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0.5

Years of Work Experience: 1

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Internship with NGO focused on biodiversity and wildlife protection, internship with environmental writing website, internship at law office. Worked on a farm for the past few months.

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Likely the best component of my application. My numbers are solid enough to make any cutoffs but unlikely to affect much beyond that, so it was crucial to compose the strongest SOP possible. Brown also requires a 10-page writing sample -- I polished and revised it quite a bit, with assistance from two GradCafe members!

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 from political science professor who I had for two courses (1 seminar and 1 upper-level), 1 from public policy professor (former mayor of city and currently the highest position in the state's conservation department), 1 from internship supervisor (wildlife biologist). Tried to find a complementary balance between the three.

Best of luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...

hey......

Program Applied To: MS in Natural Resources & Environment, MEM , MEEP , Environmental studies

Schools Applied To: Duke University Nicholas School (MEM), University of Michigan SNRE (MS), University of Delaware (MEEP) , SUNY ESF - Environmental studies

Undergraduate : India

GRE Quantitative Score: 700

GRE Verbal Score: 590

GRE AW Score: 4.0

No work Experience :( In my final year of Automobile engineering ( so actually having quiet a major change of field )

GPA not really applicable since well we have totally different marking system - but scored a 7.72/ 10 in my last exam

Worked for 2 yrs in a student run Organization for various environmental projects and energy conservation.

I guess that's all the details .. :)

All the best people.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all :)

Schools Applied To: UCSB Bren School of Environment (MEME), Duke University Nicholas School (MEM), University of Michigan SNRE (MS), Yale University FES (MEM)

Undergraduate Institution: University of Auckland - New Zealand

Undergraduate GPA: It's a different system

Undergraduate Major: Chemical and Materials Engineering

GRE Quantitative Score: 800 (94%)

GRE Verbal Score: 760 (99%)

GRE AW Score: 3.5 (26%) :wacko: :wacko:

Years of Work Experience: no professional (graduate work) experiences

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 1-year of Honours-year research on waste-to-energy related project. Internship on LCI at a steel mill, Internship at waste water treatment facility, Volunteer on a conservation island, Vlunteering with EWB

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): Writing isn't my strength, probably well-reflected by my GRE AW score.

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 from research supervisor, 1 from department head, 1 from within EWB

All the best to everyone!! :P

Edited by akl_cat

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and nice to meet you all ^_^

Schools Applied To: Yale FE&S (MEM), Duke Nicholas (MEM), Stanford (Energy & Atmosphere), Columbia (Earth & Env Eng), Colorado Boulder (Civil Eng), Arizona State (SOS), Johns Hopkins (Geog & Env Eng)

Undergraduate Institution: Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Undergraduate GPA: ~3.86

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering

GRE Quantitative Score: 800 (94%)

GRE Verbal Score: 650 (93%)

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (87%)

Years of Work Experience: no postgraduate work experience, 3 summers of internships

Describe Relevant Work Experience: 2 months working on-field in Namibia on alternative energy & infrastructure, 1 summer research internship on solar cell materials, currently doing senior research project on wastewater treatment, 1 summer NGO internship in environmental journalism and NGO outreach

Strength of SOP (be honest, describe the process, etc): good

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc): 1 excellent, 1 good to great, 1 fair to good

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! :P :P :P

Hey guys! Nice to meet you all :)

Schools Applied To: UCSB Bren School of Environment (MEME), Duke University Nicholas School (MEM), University of Michigan SNRE (MS), Yale University FES (MEM)

akl_cat, when did you submit your apps to Duke? When did you hear back from them??? I am just curious to know since the deadline is tomorrow.

Program Applied To: MEM, MESM, MPA/MSES, MPP

Schools Applied To: UCSB (MESM), Yale (MEM), Duke (MEM), Indiana (MPA/MSES), Oregon State University (MPP)

Schools Accepted To: Oregon State University (MPP)

Undergraduate Institution: Trinity College (Hartford, CT)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.43 (3.7 last 2 years)

Undergraduate Major: Environmental Science

GRE Quantitative Score: 750 (83%?)

GRE Verbal Score: 610 (85%?

GRE AW Score: 5.0 (84%?)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3.5

Years of Work Experience: 3.0

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Intership with nonprofit trade association that advocates for the energy efficient housing industry, various summer jobs doing wildlife biology research, worked in an environmental chemistry lab for 2.5 years as a lab technician

Strength of SOP: Think I did a good job of highlighting my varied work experience and how it has led me to the decision to pursure a graduate degree.

Strength of LOR: My major advisor was the head of the environmental science department and she's a good friend of mine.

P.S. I have no idea why I didn't apply to Michigan. Seemed like a good idea at the time...haha. Good luck everyone.

Happy to see the contingent of environment folks expand a bit, was quiet for a while. Seems like, of the 5 of us in this thread so far, we've got 2 policy people and 3 technical (science, engineering, etc.).

biggytre: Congratulations on the OSU acceptance! I presume you selected the Environmental Policy concentration?

@cunninlynguist: Thanks. Yeah, environmental policy concentration at OSU. Haven't seen a lot of people talk about the MPP program at OSU, but it's relatively new/small. Got a good teaching assistantship at OSU but haven't heard from other schools yet.

@cunninlynguist: make that 6!! :)

Program Applied To: MEM, MPA, MS

Schools Applied To: Yale FES (MEM), Harris UChicago (MS Env Policy), SIPA (MPA-ESP)

Schools Accepted To: SIPA (MPA-ESP) no funding...

Undergraduate Institution: McGill (Montreal Canada)

Undergraduate GPA: 3.4 (4.0 last semester)

Undergraduate Major: Chemical Engineering, Environment Minor

GRE Quantitative Score: 162

GRE Verbal Score: 162

GRE AW Score: 5.5

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0

Years of Work Experience: 7

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Significant fuel cell research experience from high school through my undergrad. Two major internships with Greenpeace and a renowned lawyer in India. Also do work organizing scientific competitions and tutoring on the side.

Strength of SOP: I think I show I have a very clear focus on relationship between technology and policy and how my background in engineering and internships in policy/rights analysis show this combination. Hoping that my good fortune in developing professional skills working in a lab might off set my age/lack of "post-graduate" experience. fingers crossed!

Strength of LOR: Two probably very good, from a current supervisor and the head of an organization I've volunteered for over several years. Third probably decent, haven't seen him in 5 years but my work helped obtain a patent in both our names.

P.S. I received correspondence from Angela Kuhne about the lack of work experience--she said that while they do admit only 10-15% of their class straight out of undergrad, they value internship experience and part-time work. Maybe there's hope!

Program Applied To: MEM

Schools Applied To: Yale (MEM), Duke (MEM),

Undergraduate Institution: JNTU

Undergraduate GPA: 78/100

Undergraduate Major: Electrical Engineering

GMAT Score: 730 (Q48, V42)

GMAT AWA Score: 5.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 3.5

Years of Work Experience: 3.5

Any re-applicants on the thread?

Edited by artemis

finally some people on this thread :) ......

what's your first choice every one..?? and any idea when in the world we're actually gonna hear from the admission committees..???

I'm hoping Feb's gonna be lucky for us.. :)

Doubtful about Yale for Feb...they say around March 15. based on the last 2 years they've been pretty good at getting decisions out on time. My first choice is Yale!!

Yeah, we're still a few weeks away from decisions, although it wouldn't surprise me if some were released in mid-February. Yale will not be earlier than March 15.

My first choice is Michigan -- the program at SNRE is a perfect match for me. (Brown was also a top choice...)

akl_cat, when did you submit your apps to Duke? When did you hear back from them??? I am just curious to know since the deadline is tomorrow.

@harawzx: I actually applied through IIE so no idea when they submitted my apps on my behalf - probably around early/mid Dec since that's when I gave them all my materials.

It was bit of a surprise as well, maybe they act upon IIE applications quicker? According to both cunninlynguist and the results survey Duke admitted a few odd students around this time last year too. But it's still early guys so all the best! :)

BTW, the 2011 iteration of this thread had 33 posts by February 2; we've only hit 17 now. Furthermore, amongst the main 4 schools (Yale, Michigan, Duke, UCSB), only one decision has been rendered. That also is behind last year's pace. Slow cycle so far...

... And, as a product of boredom, here's a calendar illustrating all reported results from all years from the survey. Blue is Duke and yellow is Michigan. (Sorry to the other programs -- however, we also know Yale and UCSB will be March 15th, give or take a few days).

zvtu01.jpg

Nice work cunninlynguist! Although I recall UCSB only managed to release their decisions sometime in April last year?

There are a few results from March 18-22 last year. Irrespective of that, I'm sure they've released decisions in April, and we've all got several weeks of fun ahead of us.

I submitted my FAFSA January 13th. It sounds like they don't factor in the FAFSA when deciding on scholarships + assistanships. It only factors into student loans (?). Not sure. See quotes below...

"Students applying for merit-based aid awarded by the Nicholas School need to complete only the financial aid section on the school's application for admission. If you plan to apply for federal student loans, however, you must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)."

"Scholarship and assistantship awards are based on the academic merit of the applicants."

"The Admissions and Awards Committee has evaluated the financial aid applications of those who have applied for assistance. We are pleased to offer the following Financial Assistance for your study with us during the 2012-2013 academic year.

Scholarship (Academic Year) - 2012Scholarship Amount - $5,000

Assistantship - $2,900

For additional information concerning your award please click here. Please note that the school does not award tuition waivers and generally students must have resources of their own to cover portions of their expenses."

There was a Yale FES Masters rejection just posted. I realize the Forestry (that is, if the post was indeed a Forestry masters applicant) and MEM timelines are different, but in the interest of aggravating my nerves, I wonder if this has any implications for us MEM-ers. Thoughts?