Fall 2012 Applications

- Eileen -

I applied to some of the same schools and my applications were finalized on December 2. I haven't been contacted for an interview from Hunter, or heard anything from NYU, Columbia, or Fordham. Has anyone heard from these schools regarding their Fall 2012 application for the full-time program?

I just got an email from Columbia yesterday saying that my application is complete and that they will be reviewing it shortly. I called NYU and Fordham before holidays just to make sure all my papers were in and both schools said that they don't start reviewing applications until after New Years, so I'm going to call back in a couple of weeks.

thanks, xxxxling! one more question: did the letter about the interview come in the mail or was it an email?

I submitted my application on December 5, got an email asking me to schedule an interview on December 8. The interview was on December 14. Then the final decision came on Janurary 4. (They took off from Dec. 22 to Jan.3 for the holiday).

Normally it takes one week to get a interview, one week for you to prepare for it and another two weeks to wait for the final decision. That's for the Chinese students as far as I know.

I have turned in applications to the following schools: UChicago, Michigan, WashU St. Louis, NYU, Columbia, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Penn. I haven't heard back from any yet and am definitely experiencing high levels of anxiety waiting for responses. I just graduated in Dec with a 3.43 GPA and have experience in the field: volunteering at an inpatient psychiatric hospital, doing research under a professor on the psychology of driving decisions and distracted driving, interning at a drug and alcohol dependency clinic for a year, etc.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are, my first choice is UChicago. Also, I am interested to know if anyone know about what level of scholarships they award to which types of applicants, is it based on experience/GPA/essay/combination? Also, it would be nice to know that other people are as anxious/worried as I am :) . Best of luck

On 1/10/2012 at 7:06 PM, MeganParkins said:

I have turned in applications to the following schools: UChicago, Michigan, WashU St. Louis, NYU, Columbia, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Penn. I haven't heard back from any yet and am definitely experiencing high levels of anxiety waiting for responses. I just graduated in Dec with a 3.43 GPA and have experience in the field: volunteering at an inpatient psychiatric hospital, doing research under a professor on the psychology of driving decisions and distracted driving, interning at a drug and alcohol dependency clinic for a year, etc.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are, my first choice is UChicago. Also, I am interested to know if anyone know about what level of scholarships they award to which types of applicants, is it based on experience/GPA/essay/combination? Also, it would be nice to know that other people are as anxious/worried as I am :) . Best of luck

Hey Megan,

I've also applied to University of Chicago, University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), University of Michigan, and Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL). I just had my interview with UPenn and it went well and I should hear something soon. As for the other schools, I probably won't hear back until late Feb/early March. The wait is killing me, so you're not alone! When did you submit your apps? Oh, and my first choice is UChicago as well. I hope we both get in!

--Kristi

I am applying for admission to the MSW programs both at San Jose State University and New York University. I am horrible at waiting on college admission notifications and get very anxious, so these forums are heaven sent. So that coupled with the CSULB School of Social Work denying me last fall, has made me loose all confidence in my competitiveness.

My educational goals are to earn my MSW in school social work and get my PPS credentials and work as a guidance counselor/ School Social Worker then I am going to pursue a doctoral degree in counseling psychology servicing families and adolescents in the deaf and hard of hearing community.

My stats are:

Undergraduate GPA: 2.7 ⇐ (I majored in Economics/ Administrative Studies)

GRE: No GRE scores, I am going to take them this summer. Neither programs require the GRE test.

Social Work related experience:

-I was employed at two after school programs servicing high-risk minority students for two years.

-I am currently employed as a behavioral instructor teaching children with autism, and deaf children with autism behavioral skills.

-I have been mentor in a mentor program that services high-risk teenagers since May 2009.

-I am currently (since summer 2010) the youth Vice President at my religious institution, where I create and facilitate quarterly programs for high-risk youth ages zero-20 designed for educational, spiritual, and social advancement as well as recreational enjoyment.

- Child Care Worker (since 2006) I monitor children ages zero-six and nurture, teach, and care for children who have not yet entered kindergarten. In addition to attending to children's health, safety, and nutrition,I organize activities and implement curricula that stimulate children's physical, emotional, intellectual, and social growth.

Uniqueness:

-I know American Sign Language, I am not fluent, but I can communicate effectively. And I am currently furthering my education. I am currently trying to volunteer at the local deaf school, but they’re taking forever reviewing my app.

-I have strong references (compliments of CSULB admission committee) [2 professional references - 1 academic reference]

-I have strong writing skills (compliments of CSULB admission committee)

-Lastly, I am a 22-year-old Pan-African male.

I submitted UChicago, WashU St. Louis, and Michigan at the end of Nov and NYU early Dec. Penn, Wisconsin and Columbia late Dec/early Jan. I haven't heard about an interview from Penn... How long did it take you to hear?? What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking?? So nervous....

I submitted my app for UPenn on December 20th. They were on break from Dec. 22-Jan.3rd. so I called on Jan. 4th to ask whether my app was complete. A few hours later I got an email telling me to set up an interview. I interviewed Jan. 10th and I will let you know when I get the decision back. If you haven't heard anything from Penn, I'd call and see what's going on.

I had a 3.7 undergrad from Cornell; history and Africana Studies major. I'm finishing up my second year of Teach For America. Most of my work/volunteer experience comes from working with teenagers in school and summer institutes. I also volunteered for 2 yrs at a juvenile detention center for girls.

Hope that helps!

Hey Kristi,

I also applied to Penn mid-December and haven't heard anything-- when did you submit/hear?

Thanks!

I submitted Dec. 20th, called on Jan. 5th to inquire about the status of my application, and received an email about an interview the same day. I completed my interview on Jan. 10th. I would call and ask whether your app is complete and if it has been reviewed.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

I'm applying for Fall 2012

UNC

UW

UGA

UC-Berkeley

SFSU

my stats aren't all that great, but I should have really strong recs and I'm feeling good about my SOP as well as my previous experience in the field....

I take the GRE Sunday

Submitting all apps by late December

Good luck on the GRE! I'm glad to see another forum member applying to UNC. I took a course through the UNC graduate school of social work this past fall to get some insight into the coursework and I was completely blown away! The program is absolutely amazing.

Applying to:

UNC-Chapel HIll

NC State

Boston College

Boston University

Hey Kristi,

I also applied to Penn mid-December and haven't heard anything-- when did you submit/hear?

Thanks!

I guess you can call them to check. I feel that they don't have many staffs working in the office, so maybe the invitation of interview just couldn't come out in time. Don't worry. Good luck :)

I am a Canadian applicant, to Canadian grad schools..

I applied to The University of Toronto and Wilfrid Laurier University.

I am a Psychology major, 3.9 gpa although one of my schools only looks at the last year, so I'm 4.0 there. I have experience working with children with learning disabilities at a residential summer camp, research experience, one publication (first author) with a second pending (second author), and volunteer experience at our local AIDS Committee, Poverty Awareness Week, Notetaker for the Disability Office, Nightwalk Outreach team, mentoring, student council, a tutoring program I started, and 7 weeks of classroom placements.. and more volunteer I think, but that's probably the most relevant.

I applied to The University of Toronto last year and was waitlisted. I am hoping this year has better results! :)

Hi everyone,

I applied to UC Berkeley and submitted my application close to the deadline which was on December 16. I have a question for those who also applied to Berkeley: did anyone receive an email saying their application was complete? I applied last year (and was eventually waitlisted then declined) and got an email about a week after submitting my application to confirm that they received all my materials and my application was complete and in review. I didn't get an email like that this year. Did anyone get one?

Hi everyone,

I applied to UC Berkeley and submitted my application close to the deadline which was on December 16. I have a question for those who also applied to Berkeley: did anyone receive an email saying their application was complete? I applied last year (and was eventually waitlisted then declined) and got an email about a week after submitting my application to confirm that they received all my materials and my application was complete and in review. I didn't get an email like that this year. Did anyone get one?

I applied to Berkeley on December 13th and never got a confirmation e-mail. The website now says that all of my documents have been submitted though so I guess that counts as a confirmation?

I submitted my Berkeley application December 5th and never got a confirmation e-mail also. However, I can log into my completed application and it says that all my documents have been submitted, so I'm guess that this serves as a confirmation also (as Rivka mentioned above). I heard that decisions don't come out until March and April :( Good luck!

Rivka, did you have your interview with UPenn yet?

Rivka and rjose, thanks for responding. I just logged on to the website and it says:

Your Application Status: Submitted

On this page you can monitor the status of the supporting information that UC Berkeley has received for your application (e.g., letters of recommendation, exam scores). The page will be updated once an admission decision has been made.

Is this what you guys are talking about? It doesn't say anything on my page about "all documents" being submitted, so I wonder if they haven't received all my documents.

Hello, all.

I have applied to CSU-LA, UIC, University of Kansas, Tulane, and University of Missouri Kansas City. I have a lot of experience and a decent GPA. Haven't heard back from anybody. Has anyone else heard back from these schools? The wait is killing me! I got my CSU-LA app in by the priority deadline and when I called the office they told me I should know by the end of Feb/first week in March.

Thanks!

Officially accepted into the University of Maryland and the University of Michigan asked for an interview. Still waiting on VCU, though.

When was your application complete at Michigan? I applied 10/17 and my last LOR was submitted on 11/7 and I haven't heard anything. My application is still listed as "complete", hasn't changed to under review or anything...

Officially accepted into the University of Maryland and the University of Michigan asked for an interview. Still waiting on VCU, though.

Wait, UMichigan asked you for an interview? That's not part of their standard procedure, right?

When was your application complete at Michigan? I applied 10/17 and my last LOR was submitted on 11/7 and I haven't heard anything. My application is still listed as "complete", hasn't changed to under review or anything...

Mine was complete on the 28th of November. They should send you something soon. I got an email.

I applied to Michigan end of Nov and my app says complete too. Agh I just want to know. Supposedly by March 1 if you had your app in by Dec 1.

You should know soon! Good luck!

Wait, UMichigan asked you for an interview? That's not part of their standard procedure, right?

I have no clue. I think they asked because my GPA isn't the best but I have strong LOR and a very complete resume. Maybe they want to know more.

Mine was complete on the 28th of November. They should send you something soon. I got an email.

...Really trying to not freak out about the fact that my application was complete 3 weeks before yours and they haven't contacted me. I was told their admissions is rolling, that they look at applications in the order they're received...which must not be true...

Hello, all.

I have applied to CSU-LA, UIC, University of Kansas, Tulane, and University of Missouri Kansas City. I have a lot of experience and a decent GPA. Haven't heard back from anybody. Has anyone else heard back from these schools? The wait is killing me! I got my CSU-LA app in by the priority deadline and when I called the office they told me I should know by the end of Feb/first week in March.

Thanks!

I applied to UIC, apparently they're incredibly slow but I'd love to go there. I also applied to kansas. Haven't heard much about them but I have family there