Applying for job before graduating?

robot_hamster

I was just looking through the local want ads and I spotted a job that sounded right up my ally. It wants the applicant to have a BA/BS plus 2 years experience. I don't have any professional experience really, just stuff that I have done while I was in school. I was hoping maybe a MS could be substituted for experience. Anyway, I am not on track to completing my degree and it most likely will be delayed until next December (a year from now). Would it be weird to apply for the job? If by some miracle I was offered the job, I wonder if it would be unreasonable to ask for some flexibility in the schedule. For example, what if I had a class that was in the afternoon (as some of the classes that are offered are) rather than in the evening. Has anyone ever done this?

I am in the exact same boat as you - Not completing til next December but wanting to start looking for positions. I am curious about this too. I mean I am going to err on the side of applying rather than not, because it couldn't hurt too much especially if I think I got the experience in school.. but Id like to know others' experiences.

I don't think there is any harm in applying esp since you said that you rarely see similar jobs posted. Whether it will work out or not is an entirely different situation. I do think that taking a full-time job will delay you especially since you will be pouring a lot of time and energy into learning the new job in the first several months. How flexible is your program in dealing with part-time students? Are all the classes offered during the day?

In terms of when you disclose that you need a flexible work schedule to pursue your studies, I think that really depends. Some people will tell you to do it during the interview stage and some people will tell you to do it after you receive an offer because they will be more willing to negotiate with you. I think it is up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Be prepared to answer how you will balance school and work during your interview though. In my office, that is a standard question we would ask when the candidate was applying while also in school.

Some classes are offered in the evenings, but some are during the day. I have some required classes, so those have to be taken no matter what time of day they are (I can't just choose something else). Otherwise, I don't think they have a problem with part-time students. I know several people who have a career and they decided to try to squeeze grad school in around their work schedule. I'm really not sure how well I would handle it. I guess it depends on the hours of the job (i.e. would they absolutely need me there between this time and this time). I was thinking of just applying in hopes of getting an interview, but maybe not actually get offered the job. It would be good practice. Unfortunately, it is through the government and they have strict rules about not calling the HR department. Basically, if you make it through the first cut then they will contact you, otherwise they don't want to hear from you.

If by some miracle I was offered the job, I wonder if it would be unreasonable to ask for some flexibility in the schedule.

What type of job is it? In what sector of the economy would you be working? In what area of the country is the job?

I don't think there's anything wrong with applying for a job while you're still in school. In fact, it's a very sensible route to take given the current state of affairs. At the very least, you're gaining some experience in understanding what potential employers are looking for and how the process works. The best case scenario is getting the job; figuring out how to balance work and school is a good problem to have. If this job is a good fit, then it really doesn't matter if it delays your degree.

If you look at my post above, it is with the government (city government). I live in the midwest.

r_h--

Thanks for the clarification. If I were in your situation, I'd take a very close look at that city's economic situation. Is the city growing, holding steady, or has it been hammered by the recession? If the city is growing--for example, it has received stimulus monies for projects and your work will be related to those projects--you might be getting hired "just in time." That is, the existing staff has been so over worked that you're being brought on to ease the load. In this case, your request for a flexible schedule might not go over well.

If the city is holding steady or doing poorly, your request may raise questions from other departments/divisions. They may wonder why your team gets to have a guy work a flexible schedule when everyone else is busting hump.

In short, if this is a job that will help your professional development down the line, my recommendation is that if you get it, take it, defer on graduate school, work as hard as you can for a couple of years (or at least until the economy is in recovery mode), prove you belong, and then negotiate for the flexible schedule.

My $0.02.

I don't think there's anything wrong with applying for a job while you're still in school. In fact, it's a very sensible route to take given the current state of affairs. At the very least, you're gaining some experience in understanding what potential employers are looking for and how the process works. The best case scenario is getting the job; figuring out how to balance work and school is a good problem to have. If this job is a good fit, then it really doesn't matter if it delays your degree.

This is what I was thinking. I would really like to get an idea of what employers are looking for and this seems like a good way to do it. The trick though would be actually getting an interview.

r_h--

Thanks for the clarification. If I were in your situation, I'd take a very close look at that city's economic situation. Is the city growing, holding steady, or has it been hammered by the recession? If the city is growing--for example, it has received stimulus monies for projects and your work will be related to those projects--you might be getting hired "just in time." That is, the existing staff has been so over worked that you're being brought on to ease the load. In this case, your request for a flexible schedule might not go over well.

If the city is holding steady or doing poorly, your request may raise questions from other departments/divisions. They may wonder why your team gets to have a guy work a flexible schedule when everyone else is busting hump.

In short, if this is a job that will help your professional development down the line, my recommendation is that if you get it, take it, defer on graduate school, work as hard as you can for a couple of years (or at least until the economy is in recovery mode), prove you belong, and then negotiate for the flexible schedule.

My $0.02.

You bring up some excellent points. My guess is that this job isn't the result of lots of new projects, but I'm betting it is something that could be cut if they were suddenly looking to cut corners. There are people in my family that work for the city (different areas), so maybe I can ask them how things are looking from where they are.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There's nothing bad in applying for a job while in school but the thing is you should manage your time very carefully. You can change your schedule in school, work in the evening and study in day. It's an opportunity, grab it.