Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Well, it's that time of the year again. Grad schools app season has opened. Same deal as this is a place to discuss the application and decision process. So who is applying for 2012?

I'm applying to programs (for organic) at Scripps, Caltech, Berkeley, UC-Irvine, Wisconsin, MIT, Princeton, Illinois, Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia.

Also applying for fall 2012 and ALSO applying for synthetic organic/chemical biology haha.

Applying to: Stanford, UPenn, Caltech, Harvard, Columbia, USC, UT Austin

Possibly also applying to 2 of the following: UNC Chapel Hill, Colorado State, UC Irvine, and Georgetown

Very excited for everyone! Good luck!

Applying to: UC Davis, UCLA, Northwestern, UCSD, UT Austin, Georgia Tech, U of Maryland, U of Florida, U of Washington, NC State

Interested in some combo of physical, computational, and/or organic chemistry :) UC Davis and UCLA are definitely my top choices. Thinking I should maybe knock the list down a bit... but all of them look really nice to me.

Good luck everyone!

I am applying to mostly MS programs, so that I can bring up my GPA and be more competitive for PhD programs. But the few PhD programs that I am applying to are the ones I fell in love with when I attended the ACS conference in Denver, and saw the kinds of research that was coming from those schools in synthetic organic.

I am applying to mostly MS programs, so that I can bring up my GPA and be more competitive for PhD programs. But the few PhD programs that I am applying to are the ones I fell in love with when I attended the ACS conference in Denver, and saw the kinds of research that was coming from those schools in synthetic organic.

:D It's entirely possible that we may have met at ACS since I was at my school's display for at least part of the undergrad thing.

BTW, I had the idea to apply primarily to MS programs because I didn't think I could get into PhD programs. My former mentor shot that idea down. He told me to apply instead to only PhD programs...but at a broad range of schools. I did, and amazingly got into 4 of 9. I'm so glad I took his advice.

Hi everyone!

I'm applying for Fall 2012 in chemical biology. Here's my list:

Harvard

MIT

Scripps

Stanford

SUNY Stony Brook

Tri-I Program

University of California San Diego

University of Illinois U-C

University of Michigan

University of Washington

University of Wisconsin

UT Southwestern

Vanderbilt

My stats are:

3.9 GPA (chemistry BS at a small private research university)

GRE general- 600V 740Q 5A

GRE chemistry- took Oct 15 and waiting for score

~3 years in same lab (chemical biology/ organic synthesis) BUT no publication yet :-/

My advisor's rec will be great, unsure about others

2 summer fellowships

Best of luck to all my colleagues applying this year!!!! :)

Does anyone know the visit weekends yet for Stanford, Illinois U-C, Georgia Tech, or Chicago? I'm applying for physical chemistry PhD at all of these schools. Also Northwestern and Wisconsin-Madison, but found their dates on the dept websites (Mar 8-10, 15-17, 29-31 for NW, Mar 9-11 for Wisc)

Has anyone of you submitted your application yet? Do you have any idea when is the earliest time Stanford notifies if one is rejected/admitted. I read previous year threads and it seems that Harvard usually responds pretty late, but Stanford can be as early as December. I'm not sure if anyone has heard from it even earlier since it has rolling admission.

Edited by veele

Veele:

I won't be able to submit my apps until the end of November because that's when I get my Chem GRE scores back. So I will certainly not hear from anyone any time soon. I recommend you look through last year's thread about the application process since people posted their results there. Just read through and you should be able to find when the earliest person reported hearing back from Stanford and other places. Good luck!

Veele:

I won't be able to submit my apps until the end of November because that's when I get my Chem GRE scores back. So I will certainly not hear from anyone any time soon. I recommend you look through last year's thread about the application process since people posted their results there. Just read through and you should be able to find when the earliest person reported hearing back from Stanford and other places. Good luck!

How important is the Chem GRE score though? I think only my app to UCSD will be incomplete without it, everywhere else either doesn't have much of a comment on Chem GRE scores or says they are recommended but not required. And UNC says specifically not to send them.

Anyway I'm taking mine this Saturday... so hopefully it's not too big of a deal. Or maybe I should call UCSD to make sure the relative lateness with them is ok? Can't imagine it being a big problem, schools should have even mine by early January.

How important is the Chem GRE score though? I think only my app to UCSD will be incomplete without it, everywhere else either doesn't have much of a comment on Chem GRE scores or says they are recommended but not required. And UNC says specifically not to send them.

Anyway I'm taking mine this Saturday... so hopefully it's not too big of a deal. Or maybe I should call UCSD to make sure the relative lateness with them is ok? Can't imagine it being a big problem, schools should have even mine by early January.

Stanford, Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Illinois U-C, and Northwestern all state that the subject GRE is required. Other schools do list them as optional or just recommended but definitely make sure you check. For UCSD, just check what the application deadline is. It would definitely be a good idea to call if your scores are not reported by their deadline.

mcstev13: I notice you are applying to Harvard too. I guess you are also applying to the Chemistry and chemical biology program. May I ask a quick question about Harvard SOP?

"For the Statement of Purpose, please provide a brief statement, not exceeding 300 words, of your scientific and professional interests and objectives. For Research Accomplishments, please provide a statement, not exceeding 500 words, of your research accomplishments or current projects. "

SOP and research accomplishments? Should I make these two separate parts of my essays? Thanks a lot.

mcstev13: I notice you are applying to Harvard too. I guess you are also applying to the Chemistry and chemical biology program. May I ask a quick question about Harvard SOP?

"For the Statement of Purpose, please provide a brief statement, not exceeding 300 words, of your scientific and professional interests and objectives. For Research Accomplishments, please provide a statement, not exceeding 500 words, of your research accomplishments or current projects. "

SOP and research accomplishments? Should I make these two separate parts of my essays? Thanks a lot.

I was very confused by this prompt as well. I ended up including them in one uploaded document, but I separated them by headings in the pdf. In retrospect, I probably should have emailed someone to clarify, but I hope what I did ends up being okay.

Hey, you might want to check out the PhD program at Case Western Reserve University as well. I think it will fit your criteria!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am applying to Scripps, Caltech, Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Yale, Princeton, Harvard and MIT. I submitted all of my applications by mid-November but had to wait until last week to send GRE scores.

Stats: 3.93 GPA (at a top 15 private university), 800/590/5.0 GRE, have been doing research since end of sophomore year but have no publications

Good luck to everyone and based on past threads it seems like most people start hearing back in January...seems so soon!