Fall 2012 Chemistry

mcstev13

Someone else has been admitted into MIT yesterday! Do they mind sharing their stats here?! :)

Someone else has been admitted into MIT yesterday! Do they mind sharing their stats here?! :)

Hey, I was accepted to MIT too (on 12/28). I received a call from Brad Pentelute. I didn't mention him in my SOP because I'm thinking of going into materials (instead of Biochem, which I have been doing research in), but he mentioned that he might be working on some biomolecular materials in the future, which sounds very interesting.

Stats:

GPA: 3.96 (out of 4 at a top 3 liberal arts college)

GRE (V/Q/A): 159/170/4.5

Subject GRE: 820

Research: 3 years, several poster presentations and oral presentations, 2 publications and 1 first author publication under review currently

Hey, I was accepted to MIT too (on 12/28). I received a call from Brad Pentelute. I didn't mention him in my SOP because I'm thinking of going into materials (instead of Biochem, which I have been doing research in), but he mentioned that he might be working on some biomolecular materials in the future, which sounds very interesting.

Stats:

Research: 3 years, several poster presentations and oral presentations, 2 publications and 1 first author publication under review currently

Congrats jcknck! Nice stats too.

Edited by SpenzK

For those of you that have received invites from Scripps, would you mind letting us know when you submitted your application? It says on their website that they are reviewed in the order they are received, so knowing when you submitted would give a good reference point for the rest of us.

Thanks!

I am not sure exactly when I submitted but I think it was on the last day. I remember panicking about the deadline...

But they may be reviewing it by the division of chemistry you are applying for, who knows. I wouldn't be too worried. Plenty of time left!

Stats:

Congratulations!!! You have remarkable research experience! I have also applied to MIT but I have made a silly mistake: I have not put any professors names in my SOP as I was thinking MIT assigns advisors after a student arrives and does some rotations in the first semester! :))

But Pentelute and Movassaghi are my favorites. I wish I had their names in my application though I had contacted Movassaghi several months ago.

[My stats: GPA 18.5/20 (1st place at my school), GRE(V/Q/A.W) 157/166/4.0, Sub 920, TA experience, no publications, strong LORs]

It seems like a lot of people have heard from MIT, and some people have heard from Yale and Stanford too. Should I assume rejections from these schools if I have not heard from yet? I've applied for computational chemistry/chemical theory to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Northwestern, Stanford, Cal. Tech, Berkeley, Columbia, and MIT, but I have not heard from any of them and I am starting to fret.

It seems like a lot of people have heard from MIT, and some people have heard from Yale and Stanford too. Should I assume rejections from these schools if I have not heard from yet? I've applied for computational chemistry/chemical theory to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Northwestern, Stanford, Cal. Tech, Berkeley, Columbia, and MIT, but I have not heard from any of them and I am starting to fret.

Don't assume that at all. If you look at past years' results, you'll see that acceptances span a fairly large time period (at least through the end of February). Grad schools make decisions in waves, and each department may do thing differently. So just because pchem departments are announcing acceptances this week does not mean that you won't get one a month from now.

GalliumSpoon,

I'm with mcstev13 that it's too soon to start worrying. On the MIT front, it seems that all the of the people who have heard are inorganic (there may have been one biochem). We haven't heard from any pchems yet, so relax. In previous years, MIT didn't send anything this early.

i got into Yale today!! I received a phone call from a professor that I mentioned in my personal statement. First acceptance - yay! He said I'd get a more formal acceptance within a month and the visiting weekend is march 22nd-24th.

GalliumSpoon, I was feeling exactly how you were this morning so all I can say is that a lot can change in a day. If you don't hear anything by the end of February, then I personally would be worried, but for now I see no reason to worry since it is still early.

Hi everyone, I am new here. I am from China, applying 2012 fall, chem phd. I want to go to scripps most.

Here is some of my stats:

one of the top universities in China.

gpa 3.61 (top10%), gpa major 3.78

gre V 162, 90% Q 166 94%, AW 3.5, 29% chem 910, 97%

TOEFL 103

2 years lab exp studying organic methodology, 2 coauthored publications (3rd author Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 3rd author Org. Lett.), one in prepare.

one LOR is good, which is from my research advisor who is well-known in his area, and used to be a postdoc in scripps.

Do you guys think I will have the chance to be accepted by scripps? Maybe my gpa is relatively low compared to yours. BTW, I am contacting with one of the professors in scripps, who shows some interests in me.

FYI for those applying to MIT, as others have mentioned, decisions are indeed made by division. Pchem is usually the last division to send out the first wave of acceptances, for instance last year, pchem applicants were notified on January 20th.

Edited by tso123d

One UCSF CCB invite came out on the grad cafe, but the email wasn't until late Friday, so I expect that they will send more out next week. Kind of a weird way to do it, but I imagine if they were all out we would have heard about more of them.

At least, we can hope that is the case.

Regarding MIT's department-by-department decision making, does anyone have an idea of when those applying to materials may hear? Has anyone accepted to MIT who stated they want to go into materials heard back yet? I'm curious to hear, but at the same time I'm way nervous to hear :(

how about MIT biological chemistry?

I was accepted to MIT with the following research interests:

1) Biological Chemistry

2) Inorganic

3) Materials

I was called by a Biochemistry faculty member.

That being said, I don't think they are done with admissions. I think they have done 1st round admissions for some divisions, but not others. Hope this is helpful, and good luck :)

Regarding MIT's department-by-department decision making, does anyone have an idea of when those applying to materials may hear?

Materials isn't one of the four "official" divisions at MIT (those are physical, inorganic, organic, and biological). Depending on what you listed as your research interests you will be pegged in one of those four and that will (largely) determine when you can expect to hear back.