New GRE Test Scores are up.

kolja00

posted this on the other thread as well..Mines 1410 on the old scale too

Got my scores too..Kinda disappointing..

AWA : 3.5.. :( (29 %)..Shuts me out from all my "good" applications.. :(

Quant : 167 (95%) (Previous estimate 750 - 800).. corresponds to 800 on the old scale

Verbal : 160(86%) (Previous estimate 630 - 730).. corresponds to 610 on the old scale..

So that makes in 1410.. Peeved that my verbal score is below my estimate..

Quant : 167 (95%) (Previous estimate 750 - 800).. corresponds to 800 on the old scale

Verbal : 160(86%) (Previous estimate 630 - 730).. corresponds to 610 on the old scale..

It might not hurt to have them re-score your AW section if you think you did better than 3.5.

I've been following this forum for a while but decided to post only because my experience with the estimates seems to be much different than most folks. Namely, my verbal was much lower and outside of the range of 700-800 that I received. Similarly, my quant was at the higher end whereas it seems that most people are getting scores that were at the low end of ranges. See below:

V: 700-800 estimate - 162 (90%) actual = 640

Q: 650-750 estimate - 156 (74%) actual = 720

AW: 5.0

I'm satisfied with my scores even though I wanted to do better (get at least 1400 on the old scale). I've been doing research at a university for more than 5 years, have publications, and strong letters of reference so I hope to be a good candidate. I will say that folks on this site are quite impressive. Good luck to you all!

In most fields adcoms do not care about the AWA score the tiniest bit. Before you get too bumped check whether anyone cares about that score at all. I think you will be fine! Best of luck.

I posted this in the 3rd batch thread too....

I'm actually in the 4th batch (took gre 10/28) and was supposed to get my scores back on 12/1. They were there today!

V=162/90% my range was 640-740 and this translates to a 640

Q=151/56% my range was 600-700 and this translates to a 650

AW=5.0/87%

Overall, I think this will be fine for me.

Edited by zea mays

I was really hoping that as more people took the revised exam that score range accuracy would improve. Not the case:

Verbal range: 700-800 (Actual: 164 or 670)

Quant range: 700-800 (Actual: 156 or 720 (low end range))

Writing: 4.0 (yikes)

So my quant score was in range. Not complaining there -- though a 156 doesn't have the (illusory) panache of a 720. Just wish my verbal was in range! I told myself before I opened my eyes on the "view scores online" page that I'd be happy with any verbal above a 165 and quant above 155. The 4.0 is just ridiculous. I guess I needed to write to the test, a method I didn't bother learning (but should have).

Anyway, so I made 320 -- exactly. I guess that, outside of this forum, that looks quite good.

Your verbal actually corresponds to a 470 (650 is based on the quant scale). I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. GRE really screwed up your score range. But, wow, nice quant score! :-)

Actually, I screwed up the V and Q it's the opposite, so the number are the same. The Q is not impressive :)

Thanks for pointing that out, though!

Edited by zea mays

Took test on September 10th - scores came out November 6th

VERBAL Estimate 750-800 --- Actual: 169 (99%) or 750

QUANT Estimate 750-800 --- Actual: 162 (87%) or 780

AW 5.5 (96%)

Does a score of 162 actually mean you got 8 questions wrong? Because it seems crazy that you can get 8 out of 40 questions wrong and still get a 780 or even a 87% What's up that?

Took test on September 10th - scores came out November 6th

VERBAL Estimate 750-800 --- Actual: 169 (99%) or 750

QUANT Estimate 750-800 --- Actual: 162 (87%) or 780

AW 5.5 (96%)

Does a score of 162 actually mean you got 8 questions wrong? Because it seems crazy that you can get 8 out of 40 questions wrong and still get a 780 or even a 87% What's up that?

I don't think so. But starting two weeks after you receive your scores in the mail you'll be able to see how many questions you got wrong and the difficulty of those questions.

I don't think so. But starting two weeks after you receive your scores in the mail you'll be able to see how many questions you got wrong and the difficulty of those questions.

Will you also be able to see which section was experimental?

Verbal: 156 (estimated 540-640; corresponding: 560)

Quant: 154 (estimated 660-760; corresponding: 690)

AW: 3.5 (29%)

Got above my minimum estimates on both. Which apparently is rare here, but the majority of the scores reported were in the 90% so maybe there's more variation at the upper tiers than anywhere else.

AW sucked. Knew it would. On one essay I argued the question even though I knew I shouldn't, but it peeved me off too much to not correct them. Good thing most schools don't care about it.

Also, I don't know how different the scoring system is. To me it looks like they just changed the scoring scale so there wouldn't be as much of difference between the standard deviation of verbal and quant. This also may have been why they changed it to 130-170. Now both scores matches both percentiles.

I'm not sure, there is more information about this free service here (though it does lie, because you can't use it just yet): https://grediagnosti...gred/signIn.jsp

Wow, I had no idea that existed, thanks.

I checked today and my scores are up, I took the test Oct 27th, I didn't think they'd be available so soon. I'll probably still receive the official letter on Dec 1st along with my schools.

I have to say I am really disappointed. My verbal score corresponds to an old score that's 30 points less than the lowest point on my range. That's 80 points less than the median for the range I was given. That ruined my day to say the least. It seems a lot of folks' verbal ranges were way inflated. ETS really botched this transition. :(

ETS really botched this transition. :(

An estimation is just that, an estimation, no guarantee that it would fall in that range though I have to admit that I was surprised to see that people's scores fell below the lowest estimation. I don't know the way they score these tests so there are possibly variations in scoring that are out of the ETS's control.

Maybe it would have been best if the ETS never gave the estimation, but then people would be whining about not knowing anything for 2-3 months.

I think I tried to ask this question early but I don't think I phrased it well...so

I took the GRE on Nov 10th and I got my scores on screen in the new scale (Q162/V144) - are these official? If I got precise scores, not ranges, why don't they show up on my GRE account page. Or am I totally missing something here?

Thanks all!

I took the GRE on Nov 10th and I got my scores on screen in the new scale (Q162/V144) - are these official? If I got precise scores, not ranges, why don't they show up on my GRE account page. Or am I totally missing something here?

They don't show up because they're not yet official. For one, your Analytical Writing section needs to be graded before you can receive your official scores. When things get back to the normal score reporting process, as it seems they may already have, ETS claim the delay between testing and score reporting should be in the region of 10 -15 days. Someone who sat the old GRE would more likely be able to tell you if there's any chance those scores will change. See here: http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/scores/get

I was quite happy with my scores on test day:

V:680-780

Q:700-800

I got my official scores today

V:164/94%

Q:155/69%

A:4.0/48%

I am quite pleased with the verbal score since I am applying in Linguistics, and a crappy verbal score would look really bad.

But what I am shocked at is the quantitative discrepancy, especially in the percentile.

I really don't care all that much about the analytical because - even at OSU - a 4.0 still gets you full funding and a stipend.

All in all, I thought this new GRE was much easier than the one I took in 2003 (the first time they mandated essays.) I got a V:680 and Q:720 then. So I was quite pleased with the projected scores from my September test date. I am just not happy at all with that quantitative percentile. Of course, percentiles are subject to change.

Took the GRE in mid August.

Verbal: 165 (96 percentile)

Quantitative: 152 (61 percentile)

Writing: 5.5 (96 percentile)

I'm in an English program right now so I don't care about the quantitative score as much (though it did improve.) Excited to see the verbal though. . . and the writing came up by .5, so that's good.

My estimated score was,

Verbal: 700-800

Quantitative: 650-750

V 161 (89%) Estimated: 630-730 (oh well)

Q 161 (86%) Estimated: 750-800 (I had better expectations for this because my questions weren't that hard at all)

AW 4.5 (72%) (Yep, for a Political Science program I heard that anything under 5 could be damaging...)

Anyways, got some problems with ETS because I took the test in two different countries and I can only hope that my additional score reports will reach the schools with early deadlines on time.

I took the test on 10/19 -- received scores on 11/11

V 165 (96%) (good enough)

Q 149 (49%) (bad but not terrible)

AW 3.5 (29%) (I am honestly shocked at this score . . . I expected at least a 5).

Looks like a retest is in my future. :(