Roundup

LLajax

I'm sure it'll be fine! At least you're happy with your SoP...I just submitted the draft for my first thesis chapter last week to my committee and I had a really helpful critique session. Now we'll just see if I can give it the face-lift it needs before the 15th! As well as grade papers, write the other SoPs, fix my CV, etc....

Hi all,

I'm also right in the thick of the application process! However I'm feeling a little discouraged...I have been in touch with an alumni person at one of the schools I'm applying to and she reconfirmed something that we all kind of know - it really helps if you have a personal connection to one of the profs/they already know who you are.

I have tried my best with sending emails to profs etc but I just feel like its not enough...do you know what I mean? I guess its like any job application if you have someone put in a good word for you personally your chances of success are increased.

Any words of wisdom on this subject?

Thanks!

she reconfirmed something that we all kind of know - it really helps if you have a personal connection to one of the profs/they already know who you are.

There have been a lot of threads on this subject so it might be worth to check those out. That being said, IMHO, I don't think it always helps and I don't think it always hurts. A few years ago, I applied to all PhD programs. I met with all my POI and I was rejected from all six schools. When I applied to MA programs, I didn't contact any of my POI and I was accepted to 4/5 programs. I'm not saying that not meeting HELPED me, but it just wasn't necessary. The reason I was denied to all the PhD programs is because 1. I was not ready for the PhD level and 2. I wasn't a good fit. It is not vital that you contact your POIs, unless you have a specific question only they can answer (in fact: I've heard it can be annoying to have people pester them about questions they can just find on the Internet). What matters most is that you're a good fit. If you're a good fit, well...then that should come across on your application. And if you're not...well honestly, contacting them won't help you.

Just my 2 cents and not at all the gospel truth. So I'm open to pushback from others on this forum.

Hi everyone, I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd join the fun. This is my third go-round. I've gotten thirteen rejections in two years and I've lived to tell the tale. So for obvious reasons I'm fairly self-deprecatory and excruciatingly critical of my chances. But to paraphrase an aphorism that got me through last time, it's not the falling down but the staying down.

Anyway, I'm applying to Tyler and UDel this winter, as well as the Met internship (specifically medieval horticulture). If neither of the schools accept me I'll also attempt Seton Hall in the spring. I look forward to going through this process with you and wish everyone the best of luck with the long dark winter ahead of us.

Hello All,

Like someone else previously mentioned, I think that the forum will only fuel my obsessiveness with my applications rather than soothe it, but oh well! Might as well obsess with other people who are obsessing!

I am interested in studying Modern Art (about 1860-1940) and Architecture. I am applying to 12 programs (in order of deadlines):

UVA PhD

Maryland PhD

George Washington MA

WashU PhD

NYU IFA PhD

UGA MA

Delaware MA

Emory PhD

Florida MA

Hunter MA

Notre Dame MA

CUNY PhD

I know its all over the place but I got quite a few fee waivers for being a member of the National Name Exchange so I figured why not.

I'm all done with my apps, and I am seriously considering applying to more since I now feel like I have no purpose / want to improve my chances of at least one acceptance but I think this may annoy my recommenders lol.

Good luck to everyone this application season!

ans, I think you did one of the best jobs I've seen of spreading your applications across a variety of institutions in terms of competitiveness and approach. Even though it's a lot, I think you were smart to do it this way. It gives you lots of possible success options, and should be a good example for others. I don't know what your record is, or if this list is very different from past years, but good luck to you.

This is my second year applying or PhD programs.I was shut out of seven applications last year. But, they were not the best thought out in terms of fit and there was a problem with my writing sample. At the time I was heading the art department for a small liberal arts college and figured it was only reasonable to go back to school if it was to a top program. I finished up an MFA in painting and a masters in Art History in 2006 and have been teaching for the last five years. I left where I was department head (long story) and am currently adjuncting so the time seems good to pursue the PhD more vigorously. My interests are problematic for many departments so I put a good deal of time into concentrating on finding good fits. I'm interested in contemporary at and religion but want to approach it from a art historical rather than religious studies direction so there are very few potential advisers. I'm all done with my applications with the exception of sending a couple more transcripts.

I've applied pretty broadly (unlike last year):

Institute for Doctoral Studies in the Visual Arts (Aesthetics & Art Theory)

Duke (Art History)

Chicago (Art History)

Columbia (Art History)

Graduate Theological Union (Art & Religion)

UC Irvine (Visual Studies)

NYU-IFA (Art History)

Harvard (Art History)

Bryn Mawr (Art History)

Yale (American Studies)

Yale, Institute of Sacred Music (M.A.R., Art &Religion, concentration in Visual Arts)

Missouri (Art History)

Temple/ Tyler (Art History)

Now it is just waiting time.

I am about to be finished in 20mins. Just have to hit submit on one last app then everything is done. Last recommender came through with all the letters this morning- thanks goodness!

The waiting game is about to begin!

Hi there! I'm applying to five programs, all with terminal MAs: McGill, NYU, UConn, SAIC, and Williams. I'm focusing on gender in late Modern/contemporary. Whether I think I will be accepted to any of them swings wildly from day-to-day, and this entire application process has been a lot more stressful than I thought it would. (Honestly, the thought of doing it all again if I don't get in anywhere is horrible to me, but I know I would try again.)

• 4 weeks later...

(Honestly, the thought of doing it all again if I don't get in anywhere is horrible to me, but I know I would try again.)

I'd feel better about someone who is determined even through difficulties and rejection, rather than just applying to see what happens. :)

It's started! ...Sorta. Good on UVA for contacting the applicant; I got a similar suggestion from a school last year but it was long after app season.

OMG- I saw that on the results page. I agree- good on UVA. But also OH MY HEAVENS- ITS STARTED! Agh. That means they must be looking at applications. AGH.

Haha well now I have that general feeling of sneaking unease. "They could be looking at my app RIGHT NOW" You know, that ominous sensation of coming doom. No? Just me?

Sorry, I'll pull myself together. The hysteria, it just sort of seeps out sometimes. My bad y'all.

LLajax, I consider you my fellow footsoldier in this shield wall. Let your hysteria seep! Unless it's literal hysteria, in which case you should probably chase down that wayward uterus...see, you're not the only crazy 'round here.

In other news, I dared look up the Peterson's stats on the two programs I applied to. I thought they were very even, and they have similar numbers in regards to students, professors, financial aid packages, and so on. One program (A)'s acceptance rate is 65% and the other (B )'s is 17%! But what's really strange is that program A is a top-20 whereas program B is more like top-40. There's a dynamite professor in my field at B, though, which evens it out for me.

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, of course, but I wonder if I will have to choose between them. Not to mention that one is a very urban campus while the other is very suburban, with all the hazards and boredom associated with their respective settings.

Edited by OnceAndFutureGrad

Yea those emails are really strange. At first I almost died from a heart attack because I thought it meant they already made a decision...and we all know what those emails mean :-\ On a positive note though, I found out I'm on the short list for one of my top choices! *crosses fingers*

Congrats! I haven't found out...anything. Except that they haven't met yet to look at application at the school I work at (but am not applying to).

Yea those emails are really strange. At first I almost died from a heart attack because I thought it meant they already made a decision...and we all know what those emails mean :-\ On a positive note though, I found out I'm on the short list for one of my top choices! *crosses fingers*

Heh yeah I get the sense that they send these emails to preempt neurotic applicants from frantically calling to make sure their online apps went through :P

And congrats on the shortlist!

Edited by omnibuster

Is early March fairly typical for hearing back from programs? A curatorial assistant position opened up recently at the museum where I work part-time, and so I'm worried on how long I can stall on applying to the job.... just in case grad school decisions don't go the way I'd like them to.